pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Another small retailer shuts its doors: http://thechronicleh...fter-relocating

TAO had some decent gear at reasonable prices and provided me with good service. They were also carrying more and more kayak fishing gear.

Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#2 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

I agree Paul, nice store with good service. I bought two yaks from them, a tandem and surfer. Good people to deal with and it is a shame they couldn't survive.

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#3 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

That is a shame. I had good service from TAO when they were in Bayers Lake. I wondered if the move down town was a good decision.
Stop Aquatic Invasives! Spread the word, not the species.

#4 BrownTrout Stalker

BrownTrout Stalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Bought my yak and accerories from them..wasnt happy when they moved..hate goin downtown..tryin to park,,,

#5 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Too bad, I supported them at their original location on Windmill Rd, where they shared space with Rons surplus, followed them to Bayers Lake and then downtown, I'll miss them.

#6 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

It's a shame for sure.. not sure what it is going to take to have a business make a success in this field as well as this in this economy... I guess this is a good or bad sign for those thinking of opening something...

#7 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, NS

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

It's a shame for sure.. not sure what it is going to take to have a business make a success in this field as well as this in this economy... I guess this is a good or bad sign for those thinking of opening something...

Reasonable rent, a business plan, and robust sales.

#8 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

I agree Scott... the issue is where do you get the robust sales.. the other two can be created and negotiated. The business plan needs to draw it's information from either succesful business in the area or market and then you have to adapt it to your product or area. Rent can be negotiated. It's getting people in and getting them to spend. To do this you need to have so many different products that will keep the interest of the consumer, they can't afford to buy one product every day nor would they have a need to... but they may need other products on different days. You need more than just a return customer you need ongoing influx or new customers finding and using your location and it's wares.

#9 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Online sales have really eaten into sales at smaller (or any) stores.
I rarely order fishing gear and terminal tackle online; I can usually do as well or nearly as well at my local fishing store.

#10 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

I understand your desire to shop local but the point is... how much gear and tackle can you possibly purchase to do your part in keeping a local shop open. Before too long that is all that will be left is online shopping... you don't need to pay employees if you are the one answering the orders and then shipping them out.. no shop rent etc... To be successful you need to diversify so much that you lose focus of what you wanted to get into the business for in the first place.

Do you just sell fly gear, spinning gear or all fishing gear.. do you add to that by bringing in kayaks or canoes and then paddles and life vests... what about tents and sleeping bags, might just as well have some outdoor cooking stuff as well. What about some hiking stuff then, shoes and boots and the list goes on... where do you stop to make it a success how thin do you spread yourself.

#11 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

You have to look at what the market needs. Somehow you need to make it through the lean winter by creating a Christmas season demand.

#12 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

If it is a fishing shop or even an outdoor shop such as TAO... it is difficult to keep all the inventory afloat even in times of high traffic.. there are always slow periods in almost every month of the year regardless of the operation. The question is how do you get people in without spending huge sums of money to do so...?

#13 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

You need to carry other products with more mass appeal. We have to face it; fishing gear is a limited market; kayaks are even more limited.

#14 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

This is true which is why so many people just shop for these items online...I think this discussion just went full circle..

#15 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Probably running it out of a basement is the only option.

#16 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

As I mentioned in another thread, it's my opinion that the small retail business model is broken. Lots of good discussion here and in the other thread about why it's broken and ways to potentially modify the model. One concept that hasn't been mentioned yet, though, is that one of the problems is the lack of barriers to entry. Any fool can open a retail operation. And he will. When he does, it dilutes the market for everybody else.

Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#17 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Having said that Paul, is it your ascertion that there should be more hurdles for new entrepreneurs entering the field to overcome... is this for making sure they have what it takes to make a go of it in the tough times or just to ensure that they will actually feed the market and not just take away from others already established?

If the market isn't there then it just isn't there.. you can't call a few avid anglers and yakers a market.. it is great that they have a place to look and buy gear at but for the most part the rest probably buy online. I don't think it would matter if we had BassPro shops or Cabellas, LLBean or whomever put down roots... would there be a market for these companies to tap into? All of which carry more than just rods and reels... is it enough or is the overhead going to kill them the same as the other smaller companies, because the traffic isn't high enough.

#18 bakerthree

bakerthree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

May be if its the online market that is ruining every smaller business then its time for duty to be put on out of province shipments, and out of country as well to get people to spend locally. Locally spent money helps the economy to grow.

#19 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Small business model isn;t broken, society is!! Bakerthree said support local business and I agree. Buy in your community, if it's not available buy locally, keep looking and go Provincial, then Canada, then North America and lastly China. Everyone is looking for the cheapest price on everything and that is why WallMart is so busy. WallMart isn't cheap consumers are! I stopped buying on-line it started to be expensive,. If it is in the USA there is free shipping but.........add on 20% for duty, brokerage fees etc. All of a sudden what was a deal isn't ! Then there is PayPal!!! Ebay is a sellers market, if you get screwed good luck! I will buy from Rip- Tide Tackle in Amerst, Leaping Silver in Truro, Fishing Fever in Hfx. and any other Provincial shop I can find! If I cant find it there it aint worth haveing! Any shops out there you know about that offer service, decent selection, local advice, and lastly fair price post it up!!

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#20 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

I buy most of my stuff at Veinottes Gone Fishing in Bridgewater; prices are no higher than buying online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users