Fly Tying For Beginners/wanna-Try - Page 2 - Flies & Fly Tying - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Fly Tying For Beginners/wanna-Try

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#21 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Wednesday the 16th, see you there.

Cheers
Greg

#22 cullumaw

cullumaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSackville NS

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Welcome back, i'm going to try and make it too. Ill let you know for sure soon.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

#23 riverrat

riverrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Are there going to be more meetings? I have to work nights the next two weeks. If this becopmes a regular thing I would attend when I can,.

#24 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Just FYI/General info for the 16th Jan we had hoped to get a few real "first-timers" together because there does exist another Fly-Tying group that meets in Lower Sackville called "Flies and Lies". I went to one of their meetings on Tues, they are an experienced group and friendly, I don't know if they have many beginners coming to their meetings but if they did I know they would be made welcome. Our NSF get together next week is going to be very informal to meet and basic equipment "show and tell", We will probable tie a Wooly Bugger or a basic Trout fly at the end. We will certainly do all the basic elements but nothing fancy, if a second meeting is desired we can discuss that next week, all the materials will be provided and we will have some spare vices.
So many Fish, so little time..

#25 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

It looks like only 3 or 4 of us, so no special rooms booked, will just grab a table when I get there, light may not be perfect but i'm sure for our purposes we can manage, Greg have you tied before?. Do you have any requests for patterns?, I was thinking if there are no
1st-timers we could pretty much tie what we like, maybe some Shad Flies?. If we decide in advance what we are tying tomorrow I can reduce the amount of Materials I take. I will take 2x Vices just in case any extra persons show up unannounced.
K.

#26 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Swinsc, I've got about three years of self taught tying under my belt, I'll bring what I have and however we proceed is fine.
Maybe some more will show up, I know I would have jumped at the opportunity when I began.

#27 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Shad flies it is! See you tonight at 7:00.

Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#28 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Shad flies it is! See you tonight at 7:00.

Paul

Not if I see you first... :-)

#29 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Great evening! Ended up with five flies, free hair extensons, and lots of great tips.

Now all I have to do is explain to the wife why I'm smelling of beer and covered in sparkles.

Thanks, Swinsc, for taking the lead on this. Next on the agenda is spinning deer hair. I'll bring the dustbuster.

Cheers,
Paul

#30 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Thanks Swinsc, the lesson will be put to good use.

Cheers
Greg

#31 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

I enjoyed the company, the cold beer and the Hot Wings!. Thanks for making the effort Guys, much appreciated. Next class Feb 6th, same time, same venue. We'll be spinning Deer Hair and making a mess!.
K.

#32 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I enjoyed the company, the cold beer and the Hot Wings!. Thanks for making the effort Guys, much appreciated. Next class Feb 6th, same time, same venue. We'll be spinning Deer Hair and making a mess!.
K.

Awesome!

#33 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Now that we're officially organized, we need a name that befits our group. How about "Fly by Night"...?

Paul

#34 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Now that we're officially organized, we need a name that befits our group. How about "Fly by Night"...?

Paul

Very good but we shouldn't RUSH into a name yet.. ^_^ Wings and Things?. Wings and Tales?. We attracted some attention in the Pub at least. I think the Server will remember you and the 2% Joke... :lol:

#35 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Paul I'm still laughing about explaining to your wife about smelling like beer and covered in sparkles! Next meeting I think that if it is about spinning deer hair you should give a step by step on tying a "Nearnuff"

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#36 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Very good but we shouldn't RUSH into a name yet.. ^_^ Wings and Things?. Wings and Tales?. We attracted some attention in the Pub at least. I think the Server will remember you and the 2% Joke... :lol:

Sticking with the music and food theme, you could change your name to McCartney and then we could be "Paul, McCartney, and Wings"... but then we'd have to call Greg "Yoko"...

Because we only ate wings, we could call it "Thighs Don't Matter"...

Since the group is open to everybody (we've proven that we have very low standards), we could call it "Everybody's Fly's Open"...

Since we spent more time chatting than tying, we could call it "No Flies on Us"...

...or perhaps we should just name it after the guy who dropped by the table with his wife and announced that he was going to take up fishing again after nine years of going without because we inspired him with our work. Did you notice that the wings got hotter after she glared at our table? We can probably get his name from the obituaries in tomorrow's paper. We should also drop by the visitation to pay our respects (and to see if she's selling his gear).

Lots of options,
Paul

#37 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Sticking with the music and food theme, you could change your name to McCartney and then we could be "Paul, McCartney, and Wings"... but then we'd have to call Greg "Yoko"...

Because we only ate wings, we could call it "Thighs Don't Matter"...

Since the group is open to everybody (we've proven that we have very low standards), we could call it "Everybody's Fly's Open"...

Since we spent more time chatting than tying, we could call it "No Flies on Us"...

...or perhaps we should just name it after the guy who dropped by the table with his wife and announced that he was going to take up fishing again after nine years of going without because we inspired him with our work. Did you notice that the wings got hotter after she glared at our table? We can probably get his name from the obituaries in tomorrow's paper. We should also drop by the visitation to pay our respects (and to see if she's selling his gear).

Lots of options,
Paul

BWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... Can't we call Greg Linda?. some great suggestions and the lady was laughing in a very odd serial-killer way at you Paul, maybe we'd better alternate days and change venues ... Perry, I'll google the Nearnuff.

#38 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Greg/Paul, post pics of the Flies we tied... just to prove we were not there for the Wings.. :)

#39 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Can't we call Greg Linda?. some great suggestions and the lady was laughing in a very odd serial-killer way at you Paul, maybe we'd better alternate days and change venues ... Perry, I'll google the Nearnuff.

Sorry that I forgot about Linda. I was trying to remember McCartney's first wife's name, but I got stumped at Heather. You're right that the woman was laughing in a very odd serial-killer way at me; glad I introduced myself as "Kevin."

Rather than Googling "nearnuff", why don't we invite a guest tyer to show us how it's done right? There's probably somebody around who uses the "nearnuff" moniker. ;)

Paul

#40 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I'm Sure if you ck Pauls flybox you can find one! As Paul and others can attest it is my go-to and stay with fly for big bass. It's all about the fly and not the angler! ;) Posted Image

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users