Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner

Fly Tying For Beginners/wanna-Try

18K views 124 replies 18 participants last post by  Swinsc 
#1 ·
Hey all, looks like i'm going to be spending this winter in NS and i'll be hauling my Fly-Stuff from Ontario back to the condo in Bedford.

If anyone would like to get some time at the vise to start/improve or tackle some more advanced patterns, i'm willing to buddy-up and maybe get a few folks together to do a few "Forum" social evenings and make the most of some weekday evenings this fall/winter.

I'm looking to see how much interest there is, how many other experienced fly-tyers we can get to help, and first and foremost is there a venue in the Bedford/Halifax area we can use?,

I know for a fact that the first time we try to do Deer-Hair Stacking/Spinning, SWMBO would throw me/us out of the condo so we are looking for a forum member with some den/basement area we can invade borrow?.

Maybe there exists a decent fly tying club in our area we can go to?, I just didn't want to hijack another group, just an informal forum thing?..

Thoughts?.

Kev.

Admin, any chance of making this a sticky for a few weeks?.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Count me in as a beginner. Just don't leave me alone with Krazy Glue. I need adult supervision.

The Flies & Lies group should be starting up again after salmon season. I think they meet on Tuesday evenings every other week at the Legion in Lower Sackville. Friendly folks, lots of space, good tables and lighting, and adult beverages. I only went the one time to observe, and I'm sure we'd be welcome if we wanted to piggyback on their regular nights. Other options could include going to a local pub (e.g., the Riverside is within staggering walking distance) on a different night so we don't fragment the Flies & Lies group. Lots of possibilities...

It would be cool to pick a pattern that a few of us could work on together each evening and/or do a "real time" fly swap.

Oh, by the way, I might have misled you a bit about winter in Nova Scotia. Google "White Juan" and look at the images...

Paul

#4 ·
I like the sound of the "Flies and Lies"..
.. I have lots of patterns that we use in the UK (like the Booby) which have been really good on the Bass in NS, would love to have a group of us where we can do a real-time fly-swap, are there any members of this forum in Flies and Lies?.
Re the Krazy-Glue,
.. I'll bring a skill saw in case of emergencies but if it happens in the mens' room, you're on your own buddy..

I'll bring some booby-foam back with me and some supplies, any (low cost) requests from the peanut gallery ?.

ps.
Jungle Cock is not a tropical ailment

#9 ·
Hey Folks, thanks for the interest, i'm already looking fwd to the "closed" season, time to top up the fly-boxes and have some decent social evenings!.
I'm sure we can try both Flies and Lies and maybe have our own tie-swap evenings too.

K.

#11 ·
id be interested too, if i can find a drive from dart. I just know I'll sneak a beer or 6. dont want to bring vehicle just incase.
or maybe carpool with DD, and take turns behind the wheel. been itching to go to F&L for a couple yrs. never made it yet.

anyway sounds like alot of fun.

#12 ·
Ima 100% interested... Just got a vise last week and figured i'd try it out... so I got me some material to tie some Blue Charms.. Wow ... i'm like a 1 year old coloring and trying to stay inside the lines! haha Not happening! .. The hands just weren't doing what I wanted them to do..

Looking forward to learn from some experienced peeps!

#13 ·
Hey all,
Just landed back in NS after a couple of weeks in the UK. I have one long drive to Huntsville ON this weekend and then back again in Early Nov sometime, looking fwd to putting some dates on the board, we have the whole winter ahead of us to fill up the boxes. We should start a Pattern-Wish list to make sure we have the materials nailed.

K.

#15 ·
Hey all,
Update - I made it back to Huntsville and picked up all my boxes of fly tying stuff
.. Now faced with the choice of driving with the JRT's back to Bedford and then back to Toronto in 3 weeks for our annual vacation to the Bahamas, I have been convinced to hang here until Jan. So slight postponement on this until Jan when I get back, sorry ... Unless you all want to start without me!
k.

#16 ·
Hey All, I made it back, all the Fly Tying stuff in the Jeep, Who's up for some first lessons?. Paul and I were thinking that we could mooch a table at the Riverside Pub in Bedford and do a basic equipment talk and introduction?. Looking at dates one Evening next week?.

#24 ·
Just FYI/General info for the 16th Jan we had hoped to get a few real "first-timers" together because there does exist another Fly-Tying group that meets in Lower Sackville called "Flies and Lies". I went to one of their meetings on Tues, they are an experienced group and friendly, I don't know if they have many beginners coming to their meetings but if they did I know they would be made welcome. Our NSF get together next week is going to be very informal to meet and basic equipment "show and tell", We will probable tie a Wooly Bugger or a basic Trout fly at the end. We will certainly do all the basic elements but nothing fancy, if a second meeting is desired we can discuss that next week, all the materials will be provided and we will have some spare vices.

#25 ·
It looks like only 3 or 4 of us, so no special rooms booked, will just grab a table when I get there, light may not be perfect but i'm sure for our purposes we can manage, Greg have you tied before?. Do you have any requests for patterns?, I was thinking if there are no
1st-timers we could pretty much tie what we like, maybe some Shad Flies?. If we decide in advance what we are tying tomorrow I can reduce the amount of Materials I take. I will take 2x Vices just in case any extra persons show up unannounced.
K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.