18 replies to this topic

#1 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Is it just me?.. or does everyone else get ripped off by the "Random" addition of the folks working at these places??.. I hear constant complaints at the places I visit and have personally had to call them out twice to get my money correct.. is there a "try and rip-people-off culture endemic in these places (Bad experiences in 2x places in Sackville so far)
Kev.
So many Fish, so little time..

#2 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Is it just me?.. or does everyone else get ripped off by the "Random" addition of the folks working at these places??.. I hear constant complaints at the places I visit and have personally had to call them out twice to get my money correct.. is there a "try and rip-people-off culture endemic in these places (Bad experiences in 2x places in Sackville so far)
Kev.

I've found that 80% of them are just horrible at math and a third try to rip you off. The other 1/2 aren't too bad, though, so hang in there because they're in the majority!

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#3 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Of course, the highly complex numery system of 5c or 10c multiples makes it likely that folks can make errors in addition. :blink:

#4 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

Of course, the highly complex numery system of 5c or 10c multiples makes it likely that folks can make errors in addition. :blink:

...and they try to nickel and dime you to death.

#5 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

...and they try to nickel and dime you to death.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you win the point for that one!.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#6 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

I have a cunning plan!.. We get one of those GIANT BIG RIGS.. Drive down to Ontario on recycling day, fill up the whole darn thing with Pop cans and bottles cast aside willy-nilly by tham'a rich southerners.. and come back here to claim the booty!.. :P

#7 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationWaverley, Nova Scotia

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

Swinsc,
You can't be saying that our precious recyclables are just so much garbage in Upper Canada?? Are you??

Regards......
Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

#8 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Would I DARE suggest such a thing.. I have to say it is the MOST IMPRESSIVE JOB CREATION SCHEME I have seen in a long long time.. the Carbon footprint of us individually driving to the various recycling centres with a few bucks of recyclables .... WTF were you guys thinking with this one??.... lol..
:lol:

In Ontario, you can return the Beer/Alcohol bottles to the same place where you buy your beer, hence seperate trips are avoided!.
Simple..

We English are world-famous for "Cunning Plans"

#9 Team Z

Team Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

I get a kick out of how they ask you if you know how many bottles you have, I guess saying "No" is probably another way to say.... "yes, you can screw me out of few bucks and I probably wont know the difference".

All that being said, I believe these guys deserve tips when good service is provided. They do a hell of alot more then the girl that makes my coffee in the morning, and I always tip her.

#10 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

I've found that 80% of them are just horrible at math and a third try to rip you off. The other 1/2 aren't too bad, though, so hang in there because they're in the majority!

LMAO. I must remember not to get you to balance my accounts. :)
Stop Aquatic Invasives! Spread the word, not the species.

#11 Cityslicker

Cityslicker

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

Donate your bottles and cans to the Cadets at the local Legions. PROBLEM SOLVED!

#12 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

It just seems that this system defeats the object of being eco-friendly, we have people picking up other trash at your home in trucks every week, why can't this be done then and have one or two large centralised recycling centres for house-hold recycling, let the Beer/Liquor stores refund the alcohol containers and stop charging folks at point of sale for pop/non alcoholic drinks and making us all consume carbon fuels taking small individual bags to a recycling center where folks must be working for a pittance to handle our stuff. Are these recycling places government sponsored?.. how do they make enough cash to pay folks and bills?.

From my perspective it just looks like a silly cosmetic shell-game to make people think this is an ECO-Friendly policy?.. how much of the stuff is actually reused and at what cost in cleaning./transport/raw materials?.. it is the singularly most bizarre and convoluted system I have seen in all of the six countries I have lived in.

#13 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

It just seems that this system defeats the object of being eco-friendly, we have people picking up other trash at your home in trucks every week, why can't this be done then and have one or two large centralised recycling centres for house-hold recycling, let the Beer/Liquor stores refund the alcohol containers and stop charging folks at point of sale for pop/non alcoholic drinks and making us all consume carbon fuels taking small individual bags to a recycling center where folks must be working for a pittance to handle our stuff. Are these recycling places government sponsored?.. how do they make enough cash to pay folks and bills?.

From my perspective it just looks like a silly cosmetic shell-game to make people think this is an ECO-Friendly policy?.. how much of the stuff is actually reused and at what cost in cleaning./transport/raw materials?.. it is the singularly most bizarre and convoluted system I have seen in all of the six countries I have lived in.

Why are you taking your refundables back to the depot? If you leave them at roadside on garbage day or the evening before, somebody will pick them up. They will obviously get the refund, but it's much more eco-friendly.

Paul

#14 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

I agree leaving them roadside is the way to go, so why don't we all follow the "norm" and do that, and stop levying a charge on the consumer at point of sale.. how many other provinces/countries add a charge onto Pop/Drinks bottles?. I think this is just a way of pushing the responsibility more onto the consumer and less onto the province. Why can't we just recycle, leave it curbside and stop paying surcharges, do the taxes in NS not cover picking up recycling free-of-charge?, if not, why?, are there too many other wacky-subsidised programmes in NS draining the tax dollar?.. or is this another giant can of worms?.

I lived in Switzerland, Germany, UK, USA, Austria, Canada and this is the oddest most man-power intensive system I have seen to get to the same end goal of re-using natural resources to their best end. Including Gasoline. I'm not against recycling and separating garbage but the system seems weird here?..

Just to be clear, I believe that the Taxes that a country/province charge at point of Sale in GST/HST should be enough without adding extra surcharges specifically labelled "recycling" when they already send trucks weekly to do exactly that and not have a "secondary" system for drinks containers, just silly.

And another edit/add.. what is the difference between a clear transparent bottle containing shampoo or pop?, why specifically is the secondary levy/charge only for Drinks?, what about Milk cartons, Yoghurt containers?.. was this a mandate of the people or forced onto them by a government strapped for cash and looking for another stealth tax and hiding it behind an "Eco" tag?.

Interesting that no targets for success/efficiency have been set?, that way the results cannot be questioned and the merry-go-round is left to carry on regardless..

#15 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

I agree leaving them roadside is the way to go, so why don't we all follow the "norm" and do that, and stop levying a charge on the consumer at point of sale.. how many other provinces/countries add a charge onto Pop/Drinks bottles?. I think this is just a way of pushing the responsibility more onto the consumer and less onto the province. Why can't we just recycle, leave it curbside and stop paying surcharges, do the taxes in NS not cover picking up recycling free-of-charge?, if not, why?, are there too many other wacky-subsidised programmes in NS draining the tax dollar?.. or is this another giant can of worms?.

I lived in Switzerland, Germany, UK, USA, Austria, Canada and this is the oddest most man-power intensive system I have seen to get to the same end goal of re-using natural resources to their best end. Including Gasoline. I'm not against recycling and separating garbage but the system seems weird here?..

Just to be clear, I believe that the Taxes that a country/province charge at point of Sale in GST/HST should be enough without adding extra surcharges specifically labelled "recycling" when they already send trucks weekly to do exactly that and not have a "secondary" system for drinks containers, just silly.

Before we levied the charge, people were littering extensively. Imagine a bottle and can alongside each Tim Horton's cup and you'll get the idea.

I'm talking about leaving them roadside for an entrepreneur to pick up and cash them in; not roadside for them to end up in a landfill. You can also put the refundable recyclables in with your non-refundable recyclables. Either way, they'll get recycled.

Paul

#16 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

So the levy is a penalty for previous bad-habits of the masses?.

#17 Swinsc

Swinsc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Summary of Initiative

The Nova Scotia Beverage Container Deposit-Refund System was established in 1996 as part of Nova Scotia’s Solid Waste Resource Management Regulations, with the goal of diverting beverage containers from the landfill for recycling. These regulations ban certain beverage containers from disposal in provincial landfills and require beverage distributors or retailers to charge a recycling deposit fee on all regulated beverage containers sold in Nova Scotia.

The Resource Recovery Fund Board (RRFB) Nova Scotia, an independent government agency, is responsible for the province’s deposit-refund program and the operation of a collection network for the recycling of the collected beverage containers.

Retailers are required to collect and remit a deposit from consumers to RRFB on applicable liquor and non-liquor beverage containers. The deposit is partly refunded to consumers for each container returned through the RRFB ENVIRO-DEPOT™ network. Deposits on refillable domestic beer bottles are completely refundable.

Supporting Framework

Policies:

The beverage container deposit-refund program is regulated under the provisions of theSolid Waste-Resource Management Regulations, made under Section 102 of theEnvironment Act.

Targets:

No specific recovery target has been set for the Beverage Container Deposit-Refund System.

Program Details

Collection:

Beverage containers are collected through the ENVIRO-DEPOT™ network, where consumers can return their containers and collect their refund. To locate a depot, please visit RRFB’s website.

Product-specific Fees:

For a list of deposit and refund amounts, please visit: http://www.rrfb.com/...r-recycling.asp

The unrefunded portion of each deposit is used to recover the costs of administering the program for the recycling of containers.

Program Monitoring & Reporting:

RRFB reports to Nova Scotia Environment on the performance of its programs annually via its annual report, available on its website.

Program Performance:

In 2010-2011, RRFB collected 309 million containers, for a recovery rate of 79%.

#18 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

So the levy is a penalty for previous bad-habits of the masses?.

And anticipated continuing bad habits. Consider it a tax on stupidity that is borne by the entire population.

#19 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

LMAO. I must remember not to get you to balance my accounts. :)

you noticed that too eh? lol
please practice a sustainable harvest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users