101 replies to this topic

#41 Tradesman

Tradesman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

Looks like one of my posts was deleted for some reason. Oh well. Was just trying to say that if you have a problem than voice your opinion on the other site insted of coming over here to do it. I'm not here to start anything, I just pop in once in a while to check on the fly fishing, trout and fly tying threads to see what's going on. Don't know why I clicked on this one.

In all fairness, if you were to do this than any hunter who needlessly kills a coyote should loose his hunting privlages. It's the exact same situation.

it is not the same thing,. not even close to the same thing!!! i well list two big differences for you
1.it is against regs to "waste fish" - there is a bounty on coyotes
2.pickerel eat fish - a coyote can eat a person
lol

#42 Woolybugger

Woolybugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay originally, now Fox Creek, AB

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

it is not the same thing,. not even close to the same thing!!! i well list two big differences for you
1.it is against regs to "waste fish" - there is a bounty on coyotes
2.pickerel eat fish - a coyote can eat a person
lol

Actually it is very similar, both are invasive predators, which is all that really counts.
As for your examples
1. Pickeral should not be classed as a sport fish in NS, a great example of miss managment of our fishery buy the government. The bounty is for trapping not killing them with a firearm. DNR is aware of the distruction these invasives can do to other species and know that the population has to be kept in check. As all invasive predators should be.
2. This is BS, just because people can't learn to live with animals and keep invading there habitat doesn't give us a right to kill them. There's way more grizzly attacks, black bear attacks or cougar attacks out out here in Alberta and in BC than there are of coyote attacks accross canada, should we be killing all them too.
Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

#43 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

Actually it is very similar, both are invasive predators, which is all that really counts.
As for your examples
1. Pickeral should not be classed as a sport fish in NS, a great example of miss managment of our fishery buy the government. The bounty is for trapping not killing them with a firearm. DNR is aware of the distruction these invasives can do to other species and know that the population has to be kept in check. As all invasive predators should be.
2. This is BS, just because people can't learn to live with animals and keep invading there habitat doesn't give us a right to kill them. There's way more grizzly attacks, black bear attacks or cougar attacks out out here in Alberta and in BC than there are of coyote attacks accross canada, should we be killing all them too.

hun :blink: ...I was under the impression when they trap them they do kill them what else would they do with them just asking

cheers GF
please practice a sustainable harvest

#44 Woolybugger

Woolybugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay originally, now Fox Creek, AB

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:07 PM

hun :blink: ...I was under the impression when they trap them they do kill them what else would they do with them just asking

cheers GF

A trappers uses snares, it's not in effect for the average hunter who kills them with a firearm.
Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

#45 topwater

topwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationblacketts lake

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

A trappers uses snares, it's not in effect for the average hunter who kills them with a firearm.

back to the chain pickerel,they fry,bake,batter and barbeque really nice,so keep the [email protected] pounders and eat them and use the bigger and smaller ones for bear bait and trap bait coyotes cant pass them up either.

#46 Luciano

Luciano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

Crazy DNR can't come up with a way to control invasives, but they can kill a turtle like nobody's business!

#47 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

Crazy DNR can't come up with a way to control invasives, but they can kill a turtle like nobody's business!

My thoughts exactly when I saw the news last night
Posted Image

#48 Dean

Dean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationColchester

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

cheers GF

In order for a person to take part in the coyote pelt incentive (bounty) they must have a valid fur harvesters license. Therefore mainly trappers take part in the bounty meaning that the coyote is killed but it is not just dropped off in the woods, it is skinned and the fur is sent to a fur auction. This is why the bounty is also called the pelt incentive.

#49 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

cheers GF

Girlfisher,

Don't ask - don't tell! ;) Haven't you seen "Deliverance"?(JUST KIDDING :D )

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#50 Spastic Caster

Spastic Caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada's Ocean Playground

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

cheers GF

They tie them to a tree, shave their armpits and tickle them to death.

Creepy huh?

James

Thinking of Buying or Selling Real Estate? I am an expert in negotiating real estate transactions for my clients. If you have any questions, call me any time at 902.449.2029 and I will get you on the right track.

#51 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

In order for a person to take part in the coyote pelt incentive (bounty) they must have a valid fur harvesters license. Therefore mainly trappers take part in the bounty meaning that the coyote is killed but it is not just dropped off in the woods, it is skinned and the fur is sent to a fur auction. This is why the bounty is also called the pelt incentive.

Although this is how things work legally, I was told that anyone with a clean coyote pelt can get the bounty. I forget where from though, not sure if it's through DNR or I think they mentioned an auction house or something ?
Posted Image

#52 Troutflyfisher

Troutflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

Billy,

You need a Trappers Licence and you do not get the $20 incentive $ until you coyote pelt is sold.

#53 Troutflyfisher

Troutflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

People keep referring to DNR as the agency responsible for trying to kill off the Pickerel and other things. They are not. DNR enforces the fishery, wildlife regs. But INLAND FISHERIES and DFO sets the Regs, Policies, Seasons, Bag Limits etc. INLAND FISHERIES and DFO would also be resonsible for dealing with the Pickerel issue (DNR may be consulted or kept in the loop) . DNR deals with Coyotes and Turles and such...

#54 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

Billy,

You need a Trappers Licence and you do not get the $20 incentive $ until you coyote pelt is sold.

I believe someone on the NS Hunting website was saying they were getting the incentive without the trappers license. I was also told by a friend that they had heard the same thing from someone else.

Although I haven't done it myself so I can't say whether or not it's true, they both seemed pretty certain.
Posted Image

#55 Barnacle

Barnacle

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:47 AM

Turtles?!? I missed that. What about turtles?

cheers,

chuck

#56 Luciano

Luciano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

Chuck....it was in the news recently a family found a turtle...not knowing what kind it was took it to DNR or the Museum of natural history and it was deemed an invasive species and DNR was to euthanize it. The family that found it actually went to court to stop DNR from killing it...don't know where it stands now. Just seemed ironic that they were quick to deal with an invasive turtle, but still can't solve the pickeral problem

#57 Barnacle

Barnacle

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

As for your examples

Hi;

I think I've already told you this, but there is a big difference between a pickeral biting a trout and a coyote biting a child. If you continue to say that there id 'no difference' because 'they are both invasives' then you attaching more importance to a word than you are to reality. And it's reality that 'really counts'.

And, one more time, chain pickeral are only a 'game fish' in N.S.; not a 'sport fish'. Only salmonids [including the 'invasive' browns and rainbows], along with the 'invasive' smallmouth bass, are classed as 'sport fish, here. Pickerel get no more "protection" than perch and suckers, under game laws. Sometimes less.

And, in agreement on the coyote point;-- like bears etc., killing must be a last resort. And as I point out time and again, coyotes are clever. Teach them a lesson once and they seldom if ever forget it. Unlike our own kids.
Moreover, coyotes know how to teach their children well. One learns a lesson the hard way, but the pups learn without the pain. But a dead coyote can't teach its pups anything. Traps and poison bait only teach coyotes to avoid traps and poison bait. Large numbers of dead coyotes will spur female coyotes to bear more pups more often. Overpopulation of live coyotes tends to correct itself in the wild, but where humans have livestock, pets, children, even garbage, this natural birth control mechanism probably doesn't kick in. Drive them away from humans by teaching them that we can be as nasty as skunks and porcupines if they get too close, and maybe they'll learn to stay away from us. And so curb their own numbers. Use pepper spray, wasp and hornet spray, etc. Hurt, don't kill. If all else fails with any particular coyote, get DNR or the RCMP to shoot it.

cheers,

chuck

#58 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

I believe someone on the NS Hunting website was saying they were getting the incentive without the trappers license. I was also told by a friend that they had heard the same thing from someone else.

Although I haven't done it myself so I can't say whether or not it's true, they both seemed pretty certain.

Billy,

Didn't I read somewhere that a store was paying for pelts and the person that brought it in was entered into some kind of raffle of draw? I don't think they had to be licenced trappers. Not sure.

Could this be where the confusion is arising?

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#59 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

Billy,

Didn't I read somewhere that a store was paying for pelts and the person that brought it in was entered into some kind of raffle of draw? I don't think they had to be licenced trappers. Not sure.

Could this be where the confusion is arising?

Terran

Hey Terran,

That may be the case. I read it quite a while ago so I could have my facts mixed up. I do know that people were saying they were getting $20 for pelts WITHOUT license.
Posted Image

#60 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Billy,

Always wanted to ask, are there any white perch left in Northwest Lake or did you catch them all?

How'd they get in there - stocked or natural?

Hope you don't mind me asking. PM me if you want.

Thanks,

Terran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users