#21 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationWaverley, Nova Scotia

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

If you are going to harvest pickerel, now would be a good time. I have found that when they come from under the ice or from cold water, they always seem tastier. Regards....
Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

#22 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

does that mean you keep ever brown and rainbow trout you catch??

don't cha know it is only an invaisive if it is not in the trout family...the bows and browns were grandfathered in and don't compete with their cousins for food or eat their eggs or anything lol ;)

nice to see ya back here how ya been? I love your burns man very clever

cheers GF
please practice a sustainable harvest

#23 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

throwing them in the bushes aint gonna put a dent in them once there it is just cruel

lets look at ways to stop the spead.... this is the only really productive discussion to be had in my mind

#24 Woolybugger

Woolybugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay originally, now Fox Creek, AB

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

does that mean you keep ever brown and rainbow trout you catch??

I keep browns and bows and release I all brookies and salmon I catch, there's already enough pressure on them where I fish.

Some places even have a bounty on bows.

I'm also against the stocking of both species, but pickerel do more damage than both combined.

If pickerel taste anything like pike then stock your freezers, they'd be great eating. You just have to learn how to debone them. I know I'll be making a few trips to Blackett's when I go home to visit in June to see if they're as tastey as pike.
Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

#25 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

I keep browns and bows and release I all brookies and salmon I catch, there's already enough pressure on them where I fish.

I'm also against the stocking of both species, but pickerel do more damage than both combined.

If pickerel taste anything like pike then stock your freezers, they'd be great eating. You just have to learn how to debone them. I know I'll be making a few trips to Blackett's when I go home to visit in June to see if they're as tastey as pike.

I feel the same abt the pressure on wild native trout and only keep stockies and we did bring home one brown last yr

#26 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

Woolybugger;- They are. Regards....
Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

#27 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:37 PM

I tried pickerel a week or two ago and was really surprised by how tasty it was.

Here's a video of how to get some boneless fillets.

Posted Image

#28 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

if removing the bones is hard for some people
one of the tricks i have done when im feeling lazy is
take the pickerel and cut it into steaks
once you get to the dorsal fin you can then take 2 fillets off

it does not get ride of the bones by steaking them
but i find it much easier to deal with them in steak from
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#29 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

don't cha know it is only an invaisive if it is not in the trout family...the bows and browns were grandfathered in and don't compete with their cousins for food or eat their eggs or anything lol ;)

nice to see ya back here how ya been? I love your burns man very clever

cheers GF

im still here :)
i check in often but i have been a bit busy lately
so i try not to post if i dont think i will be able to stay on top of it
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#30 Woolybugger

Woolybugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

I feel the same abt the pressure on wild native trout and only keep stockies and we did bring home one brown last yr

I wish more people would do the same, I have nothing against guys taking browns or bows or brookies from a put and take fishery. But our wild brookies have been and still are over fished. I've seen too many lakes wiped out. People like to make up other excuses for it but I've seen lakes wiped out first hand by over fishing in CB.

There's one lake in particular that I use to fish, I started fishing it with my cousin when I was younger. It use to take 3 hours to walk in to it. The pulp company cut a road in that way and it cut the walk down to 45min. we started seeing more signes of people in there, lots of garbage being left. over a few years the size of fish started to go down. Then ATV's became popular and there was a trail going in to the lake. We fished the lake twice in 2005 and once in 2006 and never had so much as a bite.

There is another lake that I fish and when ATV's became popular the lake was a popular riding area. Guys seen us fishing the lake and watching the fish break and seen how big they were and started fishing it and taking everything they could get. The average size brookie went from 3Lb to a pound in a half in 4 years. There's still a few nice fish in the lake, but most of what you catch are 13 or 14".

I fillet my pike, 3 fillets, the sides and the back. There's a few you tube videos that show you how to do it. It's pretty easy once you try it a few times and it takes most of the bones out of it. I've never tried it on smaller fish, out here there's a size limit on pike, can only keep them 63cm or bigger, all the fish I've done have been 26" or more.
Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

#31 Barnacle

Barnacle

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

I wish more people would do the same, I have nothing against guys taking browns or bows or brookies from a put and take fishery. But our wild brookies have been and still are over fished. I've seen too many lakes wiped out. People like to make up other excuses for it but I've seen lakes wiped out first hand by over fishing in CB.

There's one lake in particular that I use to fish, I started fishing it with my cousin when I was younger. It use to take 3 hours to walk in to it. The pulp company cut a road in that way and it cut the walk down to 45min. we started seeing more signes of people in there, lots of garbage being left. over a few years the size of fish started to go down. Then ATV's became popular and there was a trail going in to the lake. We fished the lake twice in 2005 and once in 2006 and never had so much as a bite.

There is another lake that I fish and when ATV's became popular the lake was a popular riding area. Guys seen us fishing the lake and watching the fish break and seen how big they were and started fishing it and taking everything they could get. The average size brookie went from 3Lb to a pound in a half in 4 years. There's still a few nice fish in the lake, but most of what you catch are 13 or 14".

I fillet my pike, 3 fillets, the sides and the back. There's a few you tube videos that show you how to do it. It's pretty easy once you try it a few times and it takes most of the bones out of it. I've never tried it on smaller fish, out here there's a size limit on pike, can only keep them 63cm or bigger, all the fish I've done have been 26" or more.

Hi WB;

I, too, have seen dozens of fine wild trout waters destroyed once they became accessible to the motorized. Bad enough in the '70's when 4x4's became common, but once ATV's took off it was all over but the shouting [read, 'boasting']. I very rarely target trout now, and have not done so for nearly 15 years, simply because I like wild trout from wild places where I do not have to listen to the roar of gas engines,and smell their stench, be they ATV's, dirt bikes, or even outboard motors. But I think those places are all gone, save a few in the very back of beyond.

I hear so many trout/salmon lovers bewailing the disappearance of our salmonids, and blaming the decline on other fish, namely bass and pickeral. The real villain is the modern technology that has enabled human greed and stupidity to the nth degree, all over the world. If trout anglers want to really do something to protect wild trout, they would stop wasting time and energy lobbying politically for law changes that try to stop other species of fish from spreading [laudable, but apparently useless], and start politicking against the use of ATV's anywhere but on their owner's own property, or on designated trails. Anyone owning any kind of 'off-road motorized vehicle' caught using these machines elsewhere to be subject to heavy fines, and anyone using them to get to waters- [not on their own property or on designated trails]- for the purpose of fishing those waters subject to the same penalties now imposed on salmon poachers. But that's never gonna happen, is it? :(

If it did, it would go a long way toward saving the last of our wild salmonids, since most poachers and mass killers are too lazy to pack in and out of those backwoods places where they can now launch a motor boat [with sonar] right off their ATV.

But then, maybe a lot of the bass and pickeral haters are the same people who are doing exactly that, as we speak. Who knows? :rolleyes:

cheers,

chuck

#32 Woolybugger

Woolybugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

It seems as though we have similar views when it comes to ATVs. The destruction I've seen, is unreal. I remember when the government first introduced the wilderness areas and there was to be no unauthorized motor vehicles. Well, the first lake I mentioned in my last post is in one of those areas. The first year there were sign's posted all over the area, the next they were taken down and the guys on the ATV's kept taring through the marshes going into the lake, it's a real eye sore now walking in and seeing these trails. I can go on and on about what I've seen over the last 10 years, but I'd be typing all day. I would like to see them banned from crown land and private unless you have writen permission from the owner or you are the owner.

Let's see how many replies we get on this, LOL. I posted a similat comment a few years ago on the hunting form when I use to go on there and my views were not taken very well. hahhahahaha. Apparently I imagine all that I've seen. LOL.

Also, don't get me wrong. I'm not infavore of the bass and pickeral and am strongly against them in our water ways, Cape Breton anyway. But I believe that over fishing is a major contributor to the decline in our fish. Also realize that I don't fish the mainland, so everything I speak of has to do with CB.

#33 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

amen bro

#34 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

It seems as though we have similar views when it comes to ATVs. The destruction I've seen, is unreal. I remember when the government first introduced the wilderness areas and there was to be no unauthorized motor vehicles. Well, the first lake I mentioned in my last post is in one of those areas. The first year there were sign's posted all over the area, the next they were taken down and the guys on the ATV's kept taring through the marshes going into the lake, it's a real eye sore now walking in and seeing these trails. I can go on and on about what I've seen over the last 10 years, but I'd be typing all day. I would like to see them banned from crown land and private unless you have writen permission from the owner or you are the owner.

Let's see how many replies we get on this, LOL. I posted a similat comment a few years ago on the hunting form when I use to go on there and my views were not taken very well. hahhahahaha. Apparently I imagine all that I've seen. LOL.

Also, don't get me wrong. I'm not infavore of the bass and pickeral and am strongly against them in our water ways, Cape Breton anyway. But I believe that over fishing is a major contributor to the decline in our fish. Also realize that I don't fish the mainland, so everything I speak of has to do with CB.

i have heard many old timers say similar things abt the atv and the trout down this way as well so add that to the list of things agnst them :pollution, poor loggong practices, inviasives, over fishing, it goes on and on....shame really

#35 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

I know the thread, but don't recall a discussion on how far to throw them. No point in exaggerating to make it look worse than it is and there's no point in bring conversations from another site over here and complaining about it because no one on the other site agrees with you.

to be fair though woolybugger some of their members have braged abt comng here to stir things up as well, but you are right the best thing I guess is just not give attention to it atleast not on the site here

but if tradesman wants to voice his disqust there I think he is totally right in doing so as they brought up the topic,personally I am upset abt the spead also but do not see what is productive abt tossing a fish in the bushes and letting it suffocate except for letting off steam but that is what the gym is for imo. Once they are there this ain't gonna stop them and this knid of behavior only pits fishers agnst each other and taunts the T!theads that are moving them around.

this makes me nervous cause my fav lake may be next as a causualty of war. As you know some ppl will do things that are destructive just b/ someone else tells them they can't it is like they have to prove a point or something.

Educating and stopping furher spread is imo the only option cause lets face it ,the gov is not going to spend the 100's of 1000$ it would take to poison lakes etc.they can't ensure that we have a doctor or jobs, I have several patients with serious chroic illnesses who have no MD, no continal care and there health and meds etc aren't being monitored the gov doesn't take care of its ppl so why would we think they would put serious money into more effort on fish than health care for example

we the fishers have to make change and I want to commend one member there in particular(Tim) who is actively on committtees, making reports, meetings etc with regards to the spread ...now he is a productive person

cheers GF

#36 ducknuts

ducknuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCaribou Marsh

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:38 AM

They are a great eating fish, I spent alot of time on Blacketts Lake last year catching as many pickerel as I could and I will be back again this year. My family and I love eating them, they are a delicious fish. I love tossing pickerel, toss them right into the frying pan!

It is brutal that they are in CB, what makes me upset is that one of the first illegal introductions into CB happened over ten years ago in Lake Ainslie (not to mention other areas in NS) and with that there was no Rapid Response plan developed for when it happened again. So when the fish were discovered in Blacketts lake there was no plan on what to do. So here we are with a very accessible lake filled with Pickerel and SMB that are migrating down the Sydney River system. It is only a matter of time that they show up somehwere else, banning livewells and live bait is all good reactions but it will never stop the criminals from transporting fish for reasons of introduction. So now the sportsman suffers by seeing his once great trout waters disappear and he also can't keep a trout fresh in a livewell on waters that are still great. And further on one will lose the priveledge of using live minnows for bait all because of these criminals.

#37 Tradesman

Tradesman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

i really dont care who agrees with me . what i said is an understatement!! throwing "any fish" on the bank to die is against regs. anyone who does should lose their license.

#38 Barnacle

Barnacle

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

i really dont care who agrees with me . what i said is an understatement!! throwing "any fish" on the bank to die is against regs. anyone who does should lose their license.

Hear, hear!! Well said, tradesman.

cheers,

chuck

#39 Woolybugger

Woolybugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Looks like one of my posts was deleted for some reason. Oh well. Was just trying to say that if you have a problem than voice your opinion on the other site insted of coming over here to do it. I'm not here to start anything, I just pop in once in a while to check on the fly fishing, trout and fly tying threads to see what's going on. Don't know why I clicked on this one.

In all fairness, if you were to do this than any hunter who needlessly kills a coyote should loose his hunting privlages. It's the exact same situation.

#40 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

Wb; Please, can we all just play nice in the sandbox and let sleeping dogs lie??? Regards....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users