#1 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTruro and Kentville

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

I was fishing along the shore of Gaspereau Lake on Thurs evening and found a dead pickerel laying on a rock. By the looks of it I'm guessing someone caught it and tossed it. Could be that a bird caught it and left it there, but it didn't appear mangled in the least so I think not.

This brought me back to thinking about people I've heard say that the only good thing to do with a pickerel is to toss it in the woods. WHICH IS ILLEGAL! It drives me crazy to think that people do this. Yes, they are an invasive specie in most watersheds they are present in, often introduced there by people, in some cases they managed to move there themselves. But this does not give ANYONE the right to catch them and toss them in the woods. If anyone that believes it IS a good idea is reading this, think again. Do you really believe that by throwing a couple of em out of the lake is going to make ANY difference at all? You catch and keep more of the native trout/bass/perch/whatevers than you throw pickerel away, and those species survive on right? So why will tossing a few pickerel away make any effect on their existence in such a lake?

Just my point of view on this.

Unfortunately I had no idea who it could have been that did this or else I'd report them.

Dave

#2 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationKinsac

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

I'm glad this was brought up again on the new forum!great piece of info Dave! unfortunate that it takes somthing like this though!
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me too!

#3 The Salmon Slinger

The Salmon Slinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

I was fishing along the shore of Gaspereau Lake on Thurs evening and found a dead pickerel laying on a rock. By the looks of it I'm guessing someone caught it and tossed it. Could be that a bird caught it and left it there, but it didn't appear mangled in the least so I think not.

This brought me back to thinking about people I've heard say that the only good thing to do with a pickerel is to toss it in the woods. WHICH IS ILLEGAL! It drives me crazy to think that people do this. Yes, they are an invasive specie in most watersheds they are present in, often introduced there by people, in some cases they managed to move there themselves. But this does not give ANYONE the right to catch them and toss them in the woods. If anyone that believes it IS a good idea is reading this, think again. Do you really believe that by throwing a couple of em out of the lake is going to make ANY difference at all? You catch and keep more of the native trout/bass/perch/whatevers than you throw pickerel away, and those species survive on right? So why will tossing a few pickerel away make any effect on their existence in such a lake?

Just my point of view on this.

Unfortunately I had no idea who it could have been that did this or else I'd report them.

Dave

+1

#4 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:55 AM

Agreed.. I've seen it done with pickerel a few times.. even though they're a prick of a fish, it's still not right. This year I've already seen pickerel, shad, and trout all just tossed on shore... it's disgusting
Posted Image

#5 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hahaha, I guess it would be kinda like throwing people I didn't like in the bushes while I am out fishing....not allowed to do that either! hehehe funny comparision in my mind. :)

Good point fellas. The regulations make it illegal to toss fish in the bushes, as it classifies as waste, and as well would likely count towards a personal limit as well. ;) Opps,... might just be breaking more than one rule at a time.

What I like less than abuse of any species of fish is WASTE.

Trav

#6 JOHN

JOHN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:17 PM

bugman I like your idea !!! :D

John

#7 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

bugman/+2

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#8 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

Agreed, it never should have got this far, but I'd rather folks took their limit home

Greg

#9 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

Lol, good point Tim... we can't really blame the species itself, not that anyone wants to place blame of course. We kept a fish over the weekend, (only one of many C&R that day). It wasn't the species we were after, but it was not going to survive after we released it anyway...we tried that, it went belly up. So, it got taken home and put to good use.

Trav

#10 Woolybugger

Woolybugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay originally, now Fox Creek, AB

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

Imagine all the hungry people we could feed with the pickeral in Nova Scotia. To bad there wasn't a way to get them to a shelter to be used. From what I hear they're pretty tasty. I hear they're like northern pike, which is the only freshwater fish I've had that I actually like to eat.

Tim is right, people are frustrated. It's getting way out of hand. Look at Blacketts lake in CB. It's now infested with these things and they can move to a lot of watersheds from there, including the Mira and all the water sheds attached. Makes me sick just thinking about it.
Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

#11 Barnacle

Barnacle

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

I wonder if we could get Steve at "Fishing With Friends" to do a pickerel catching, cleaning, and cooking show, with emphasis on the 'shore lunch'? What about smoked pickerel? Can we interest chefs in serving pickerel in restaurants?

The way things are going, they'll soon be the last tasty fish on the planet. But I have to confess that I have yet to eat one, myself.

Now that there are pickerel in the Black River System, the next fly fisher tournament should have pickerel for lunch. Or do we need to find someplace where there are still no pickerel--yet?

Just idle thoughts.

chuck

#12 Red Snapper

Red Snapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationWindsor NS

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

I have also found pickerel left for dead on the banks of Gaspereau lake. On the north bank (past the dam/fish run) the wife and I found one. I had to explain to my wife why someone would waste a perfectly good fish. She didn't know why they didn't just put it back and I had to explain the whole "pickerel hating" thing and how some people just kill them.

Personally I think you have two choices- either you let it go, or you eat it.

My daughters will eat any kind of fish... nothing goes to waste.

I had another fisherman approach me one evening and ask me if I liked eel. Which I did. He had caught one and it was too badly injured while he was landing it. (he didn't realize he had an eel on) He didn't want to just release it back into the water to die, but he also didn't want to take it home as he didn't like eel. He knew he couldn't just leave it. So he tracked down someone else who would take it. Waste not want not. I was more than happy to take it off his hands. There's no reason the same course of action couldn't happen over pickerel.

On the topic of Gaspereau... That same night, as the wife and I were coming back, there were several people fishing off the dam/fish run. I was just explaining to my wife that fishing near the run is illegal when she spotted several people fishing off it. The wife shouted a few vulgaities at them and they made a hasty retreat.
There's a whole lake full of bass- if the best you can do is fish off thr run, then hell, get rid of the rod and just use a net- cause its pretty much the same thing. Fishing off that run is the equivalent of hunting ducks in a barrel. If you're gonna break the law, then at least save yourself some time and break it the right way, eh? But I guess they never thought of a net, that's why they're losers; hence, why they thought it would be okay to fish of the run.

#13 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

Actually the way I read the regulations no one can fish with 23m downstream from a fish ladder... don"t see any problem with fish fishing off the dam itself. Could be wrong of course but I have met many Fisheries Officers at that location and they never said a word to anyone I have seen fishing off the dam. That being said that spot is pounded and by just a walking a bit more the fishing gets considerably better.

#14 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTruro and Kentville

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

I also believe the rules are 23m (or 25 or something like that) downstream from any fish ladder. But above the dam is fine. But Yakfisher is right, walk a little further and you start catching more. If you keep going there and go past the other little old dam and then KEEP goin some more the shore fishing gets much better. Just gotta be willing to get your butt off the main road and do a bit of trudging through some trees. Which most people seem to be completely against doing. Reminds me of hunters driving around looking for a deer to shoot. Pretty sad. I'm not in it for the "catching" I'm in it for the "fishing". Just getting out there to the lake, walking around in the woods. My favorite fishing spot ever is actually a tiny little stream going through the woods behind my parents house. Fished it ever since I was little, still go once in a while. Most of it is no more than 10ft wide and the deepest little pools are maybe 1 1/2 ft deep. Biggest trout I ever got in it was around 11 in. But its such a fun stream to fish. It's all forest, a wonderful walk to get to it and there\s never another person anywhere close by. Now THAT'S fishing.

#15 Barnacle

Barnacle

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:17 PM

Found it.

FWIW, The Wildlife Act of N.S., sect. 61 states---

"61 No person, having taken or killed any wildlife, shall allow the carcass, pelt or green hide thereof to be destroyed, wasted, abandoned or spoiled except as provided in this Act or the regulations. R.S., c. 504, s. 61."

This includes the carcasses of dead chain pickeral. And of smallmouth bass. And of white suckers. And of any other fish that the high and mighty deem 'trash fish'.

I believe that advocating or suggesting or implying that it is 'a good thing' to break the law is also an offense, but under what Act I do not know.

chuck

#16 Taggart

Taggart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNorth Sydney

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

I would never throw an invasive pickeral or bass back into the water. Illegal or not there is no way i would put them back. If I had to I would say I was eating them then throw them out when there's no one looking. I am a C&R fisherman but I'm not going to help an Invasive survive. Just my $0.02.

#17 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationTrenton, Pictou County, Nova Scotia

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

I cant for the life of me understand why more people don't eat pickerel. There a very very tasty fish. When I fish pickerel I usually have a nice shore lunch and bake em up on a little fire with butter, garlic, salt and pepper. People say there bony but after there cooked its not any different than any other fish.
"There's more to fishing than catching fish"
Join me on Facebook or Youtube for lots of great pictures of my trips and catches, flies and fly tying.
Also plenty of tips, tricks and videos!! Join up and tell your friends.
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Facebook
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Youtube

#18 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

I would never throw an invasive pickeral or bass back into the water. Illegal or not there is no way i would put them back. If I had to I would say I was eating them then throw them out when there's no one looking. I am a C&R fisherman but I'm not going to help an Invasive survive. Just my $0.02.

does that mean you keep ever brown and rainbow trout you catch??
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#19 Spastic Caster

Spastic Caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada's Ocean Playground

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:16 PM

does that mean you keep ever brown and rainbow trout you catch??

Good Man Shienar for saying that. People need to stop being hypocrites. The truth is a life is a life and anyone who wasted one needs to learn the value of it.

James

Thinking of Buying or Selling Real Estate? I am an expert in negotiating real estate transactions for my clients. If you have any questions, call me any time at 902.449.2029 and I will get you on the right track.

#20 Barnacle

Barnacle

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

Good Man Shienar for saying that. People need to stop being hypocrites. The truth is a life is a life and anyone who wasted one needs to learn the value of it.

James

Well said, James.

cheers,

chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users