#1 Anglersthree

Anglersthree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hi everyone,

The following is a sampling of the fish we caught during week one of the Great Ontario Salmon Derby including one Chinook just over 25 pounds.

We have also been experimenting with a cannonball camera setup to add to the angles we already have and have included a few rough sequences in this video. The next video to be posted will be just a compilation of the best from those cameras - some cool footage and it's interesting watching the salmon and trout behaviours just prior to the strike.

For those interested, most of our fish during the week came from the balls set at 80, 90 and 100 feet in 100 to 315 FOW and the wire dipseys on the 3 setting back 250'. Predominantly a flasher/fly bite with greens being the most productive and a number taken on spoons, also glow green with dark spots.

Hope you enjoy,

#2 ppaauull0

ppaauull0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Im moving to Ontario next year, were you on Lake Ontario? I dont have a boat but I will have a fishing kayak, ( i have alot of ocean kayak fishing experience, mostly for Striped Bass, cod and Pollock) Do these fish venture into shallower water near the shore or will I have to venture out into deeper water?

#3 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

Paul, spring and fall has all kinds of fish in close to shore. In the spring the shores of every decent river are lined with guys fishing, you'll be in prime position from a kayak. Even better in the fall, the chinook come in the rivers to spawn, you can get them in the harbours where they stack up before heading up river. Through the summer there's plenty of opportunity for a pile of other species, including some massive carp that will make all your mates back in the UK jealous :)

#4 Robbie Hiltz

Robbie Hiltz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationThe Valley

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

awesome footage!
The best things in life aren't things

#5 ppaauull0

ppaauull0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Is it only Lake Ontario that holds big Salmon, or do any of the nearby smaller lakes have them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users