• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 VWghost26

VWghost26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

So my dads old school and not overly familiar with 'catching' fish. Loves fishing but doesn't have tons of knowledge on what works and what doesn't. So he's been buying us some spinners and such lately from the dollarstore. They look fine. Obviously the hooks won't be as strong or sharp, spoons won't have the same action or shine to them and who knows about longevity. But has anyone caught much with them? He picked up 9 for just over $5 so thats unbelievably cheap an since I'm primarily hunting down smallmouth it would save me a ton on lure expense for the odd time we attempt some trout or mackerel. I love fishing with him even if we don't land a single thing but I'd still rather have a chance. Hard to have fishing stories to tell the future kids without fish being caught lol

#2 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

I havn't used the spinners there much.. i think I have 2 in the tackle box but I have used the $ Store bass lures a lot and they seem to work..got my biggest bass yet on a top water..i also used some rubber worms form there,,not to great,,at least if you loose one it is only a $ :)

#3 VWghost26

VWghost26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Yeah I may take a few out for a test 'spin' tonight to see how they look in the water.

#4 Fiere

Fiere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

Some of them aren't too shabby! I have a spinner from there, big gold thing with red dots, caught quite a few fish with it. Nothing fancy action wise, but in clearish water they have a lot of shine. That being said, keep them dry! They rust like crazy, seemingly in minutes, and Ive had some corrode and break. They are only a $!

#5 bakerthree

bakerthree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

keep an eye out every now and then they get brand name items in that they must buy from a closing company and they go fast.

#6 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationTrenton, Pictou County, Nova Scotia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

They sometimes get MAKO brand hooks in there, these hooks are really sharp and very thick so like to use them for fishing in salt water and they work very well!
"There's more to fishing than catching fish"
Join me on Facebook or Youtube for lots of great pictures of my trips and catches, flies and fly tying.
Also plenty of tips, tricks and videos!! Join up and tell your friends.
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Facebook
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Youtube

#7 newt

newt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Locationmiddle musq

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

we went fishing one time with fello and he had a dallor store spinner. he had the only thing that wold catch a trout.i had a tackal box with a 1000$ worth of gear and couldent get one. the next time i went i had one and it worked real good dont know the name of it though.

#8 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

I ve had luck with several of the dollar ore lures, it's like anything just have to be in the right spot at the right time and it will work for ya plus you ain't out much if you snag one which is awesome
please practice a sustainable harvest

#9 salmon are forever!

salmon are forever!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationTruro & tatamagouche. N.S.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

Ive also caught fish on dollar store lures there are some particulary that work way better then the other more expensive

Husky jerk looking lure it is orange in color and has 2 treble hooks awsome for smallmouth and pickerel

Popper great for pickerel and smb
what a tourist terms a plague of insects a fly-fisher calls a great hatch!

http://users.eastlin...ryfly/hatch.htm

http://www.facebook....in.skinner.1671

#10 Fishalotasaurus

Fishalotasaurus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationBeaverbank/Lwr Sackville

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

yeah the spinners seem to work fairly well for me... ive noticed they' ve become much more popular
as the sections in both stores i dropped by today were cleaned out

i have two popers from the ol dollar store that the bass seem to love in the warmer weather...

#11 jharlow

jharlow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

The trout spinners work great,I been using them for a few years.last year I bought 6 packs of gold and 8 packs of silver...3 spinners for a buck you can't go wrong,I'm should be good for a few seasons.

#12 Alliecatfish

Alliecatfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Are they still selling them? And where at?

#13 dprasad97

dprasad97

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBurnaby, BC

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

There decent to an extent; I would replace the wire shaft with one of a higher quality.

#14 jharlow

jharlow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Not sure if they still have them but I got them at the doller store in Bedford crossing next to the Walmart.

#15 the_red_devil

the_red_devil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

some great tackle at the dollar store and they always have a different selection, some of the hooks are cheap and break, but not to bad at all for the price!!!

#16 Fisht

Fisht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Northland is one of my favourite brands good quality stuff.

#17 Sidney

Sidney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

i swear by dollar store lures. use em for small mouth bass. and i have been for a year now EVERY time im at the dollar store i buy atleast 10-15 lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users