2012 Casa Ice Breaker Tourney (Thank You) - Bass Associations - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

2012 Casa Ice Breaker Tourney (Thank You)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LunkerHunter

LunkerHunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationHalifax, N.S

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hey guys just wanted to say thanks for letting my nephew Justin and I (Jamie) be a part of the tournament yesterday!! Even though Justin only caught a small cp and i caught an even smaller one!! Lol!!
We had an absolute blast!! We were the 2 in the little camo princecraft jonboat towed behind the element. Saw some of the nicest bass boats there. We felt a lil out of place ( but there were some smaller boats too) but regardless we had a blast as i said!!
We had to leave before the final results because my 16 year old had a lacrosse game, but i wanted to say congrats to whoever won!!
Thanks for the hospitality even though it was our 1st time all the anglers made us feel welcome!!
We can't wait to go to the next one!!
We learned some fishing tips too. Thanks to all who answered questions on lure selection and colors. I never had luck with plastics but realize now that i have to stick with them if i want success when they arent goin after hard baits. And i have to learn how bass relate to water temp and spawning.
Anyway enough of my fishing shortcomings!! Lol.
Thanks again for the fun day. Can't wait to see you guys again!! (and if ya ever feel like you want to pass on some fishing knowledge on the water. We will be happy to tag along!!)

A Bad day of fishin' beats a good day of anything else

Personal Best :

Smallmouth Bass - 19 3/4" - 4lb

Chain Pickerel - 25"

White perch - 10"

Yellow perch - 9"

Rainbow Trout 14"

Blue Shark - 10'6"

#2 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

I was also there yesterday in my Little BassHound boat putting along past the BigBoys,, I had a great day on the water,, not much luck with the fish,, lost a nice Pikeral at the side of the boat.. I enjoyed meeting lots of freindly people.. I fish this lake a lot so if any of you guys see me around say Hi. It would be interesting to see the results on the Chain Pickeral research that they were doing there yesterday. Thanks :)

#3 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 907 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Glad to hear you both had a good time despite the tough fishing. I found the bass didn't start to cooperate until late in the day. Don't be intimated by the larger, shiny, faster boats. The boat don't catch the fish, the angler does. Most of the guys, myself included, with the larger boats started fishing from canoes and smaller boats like yourselves. All boat types are welcome at the events (with a livewell of course) and hope to see ya again at other tournaments in the future.

Any knowledge you are able to gain from the tournament anglers will prove to make you a better angler for sure. I know I have become a better angler since I started competing in tournaments. Always a great group of people who are always obliging to new anglers and make them feel welcome at the events.

Again, glad you have a good time and hope to see ya again on the water. :)

#4 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

i've tournament fished a long time guys. and yes i do have one of those larger boats.

but believe me, i won a lot more tournaments out of my 14.5 ' fiberglass boat i had with a 25 h.p. on it then what i ever will out of my larger boat!and even more money when it only had a 6 h.p. on it!

the larger boat is just more comfy, safer, and yes funner to drive!

but as fishing fanatic said''the boat don't catch the fish''

later,jonathan

#5 Halfyard

Halfyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Lunkerhunter,

It was great to have some new faces at the event. It was a tough day all around and many anglers struggled. While there were some big boats there, as you could see, a small boat has it's place and is not much of a disagvantage. In fact, our next tournament (Grand Lake - July 15) is well suited to small boats, as you are able to access areas of the Shubie River (near this years launch site at Oakfield) that the bigger boats will not be able to access. The tournament has been won in the river many times.

As for tips, most CASA members try to help out when asked. Please feel free to contact any of the executive (via the CASA website) should you have any more questions - or jsut chat with the other anglers after the event. If you start with Wacky rigged senkos, you will do fine in most situations!

See you at the next event.

Eddie Halfyard

#6 LunkerHunter

LunkerHunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationHalifax, N.S

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thanks. We had a blast as i said. I just need to Stick to the plastics more. I know they catch the bigger fish usually but i never know when i have a bite or when to set the hook so i get frustrated and switch back to the old rap!! I see guys on youtube and tv feeling that fish grab their line and they wait a sec then wrench on the rod and BAM fish on!! I need to feel that and the only way is by practice. And i also need to learn more about bass behavior.
But thanks again for the sdvice and the hospitality, we will try to be at every event this year we had a great time!!

Personal Best :

Chain Pickerel - 25"

White perch - 10"

Yellow perch - 9"

Rainbow Trout 14"

Blue Shark - 10'6"

#7 LunkerHunter

LunkerHunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationHalifax, N.S

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

On a side note...you guys are killin me with these tournament dates LOL! Mothers Day 1st , then my five year anniversary is on July 14th, 1 day before the Grand Lake one. At this rate I will never get a big shiny boat that goes really fast because i will have to pay for a divorce!!

Personal Best :

Chain Pickerel - 25"

White perch - 10"

Yellow perch - 9"

Rainbow Trout 14"

Blue Shark - 10'6"

#8 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:10 AM

Thanks. We had a blast as i said. I just need to Stick to the plastics more. I know they catch the bigger fish usually but i never know when i have a bite or when to set the hook so i get frustrated and switch back to the old rap!! I see guys on youtube and tv feeling that fish grab their line and they wait a sec then wrench on the rod and BAM fish on!! I need to feel that and the only way is by practice. And i also need to learn more about bass behavior.
But thanks again for the sdvice and the hospitality, we will try to be at every event this year we had a great time!!

What kind of line are you using lunkerHunter? If your using mono then the best tip I can give you is switch to braided line. ;) The extra sensitivity with braided line will help you in detecting those subtle bites. I use PowerPro braided line on all my reels and truely believe it will help you catch more fish. I seen a documentary years ago by Glen Lau called Bigmouth Forever with amazing underwater footage. If we only knew how many times that fish of a life time has taken our lure and didnt know, it would make any grown man cry. lol check out this small clip of the documentary showing bass hitting a lure and the angler not even knowing the fish was on the end of the line....

With the extra sensitivity that braided line gives you has to be an advantage for us as anglers. One of the reasons I prefer PowerPro is because of the different colors available for different conditions. Check out this article from my website about The Importance of Line Color...

http://www.fishingfa...ca/fishing-tips

Oh and also one more tip.....when in dought SET THE HOOK!! lol :)

#9 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

hook sets are free, take all you can get!!!!

#10 LunkerHunter

LunkerHunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationHalifax, N.S

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I use braided and have for a few years. I first used dark green powerpro, then last year switched to camo spiderwire and then this year switched to red powerpro. Its fading already to pink but after reading some forums and wanting to try more plastics i might switch to a yellow or white with a flurocarb leader. I REALLY want to catch something so i know how it feels on the line. I have caught a few on a lil green grub but i was just reeling slow not really finessing it. I just need to stick with it is all.

Personal Best :

Chain Pickerel - 25"

White perch - 10"

Yellow perch - 9"

Rainbow Trout 14"

Blue Shark - 10'6"

#11 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

I use braided and have for a few years. I first used dark green powerpro, then last year switched to camo spiderwire and then this year switched to red powerpro. Its fading already to pink but after reading some forums and wanting to try more plastics i might switch to a yellow or white with a flurocarb leader. I REALLY want to catch something so i know how it feels on the line. I have caught a few on a lil green grub but i was just reeling slow not really finessing it. I just need to stick with it is all.

LunkerHunter, I will take you smallie fishing in my boat and only let you throw a wacky rigged senko style bait. After a few hours you will be convinced how well they work. ;)

#12 LunkerHunter

LunkerHunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationHalifax, N.S

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

Can my nephew come too, and when are we goin'?lol. Do u use a split ring to protect the worm? Or do u just put the hook through the worm directly? What type of hook do u use for wacky rigging?

Personal Best :

Chain Pickerel - 25"

White perch - 10"

Yellow perch - 9"

Rainbow Trout 14"

Blue Shark - 10'6"

#13 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Can my nephew come too, and when are we goin'?lol. Do u use a split ring to protect the worm? Or do u just put the hook through the worm directly? What type of hook do u use for wacky rigging?

Yes your nephew can come. Let me check my sechule and let ya know when.

Yes I use o-rings when wacky rigging. They will last a lot longer when using o-rings. I use small circle hook for wacky rigging.

#14 LunkerHunter

LunkerHunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationHalifax, N.S

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Man that would be awesome!!

Personal Best :