5 replies to this topic

#1 GBROB

GBROB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone had some suggestion for places to fish in Cape Breton. I have went out the last several weekends mostly fishing road side or short walks in Framboise, Loch lomond, Gabarus Lake,Banacadie, around Iona, several places in Mira, Blacketts Lakes from sure around the bridge. So far all I have to show for it is a small maybe if lucky 3 inch trout that I promptly let go of course. Suggestions can be road side or a walk long or short starting to get a little desperate to catch any fish at this point.

#2 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Suggestions can be a walk long starting to get a little desperate to catch any fish at this point.

There you have your answer. Anyone of those spots will be good but there will
be little close by. Follow which ever one you like and when you get to a spot that looks
good, go as far again. Go on a nice day that the flies are out and you will see trout feeding - fish there.
Good trout anglers are usually good walkers - LOL
Good luck
Paul

#3 kenman35

kenman35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

hey...try out victoria bridge walk down the shore line casting a J-9 rap or minnow with a bobber stay on the north side...loch lomond from shore is tough...i catch most of my trout trolling way out from shore..try the grand river bridge..those ponds in big pond are great for casting try out the pond across from the ritas tea room

#4 birddog

birddog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hi,

What's your experience level? and what are you using for bait?

Cape Breton has very good trout fishing, some of the best in the world, doesn't matter where you live there really you should be able to get on some trout 20 or 30 mins from any point..so don't take this wrong way but maybe it's time to change your approach. Are you fishing big deep water rivers and lakes? Sometimes thats not the best thing to do especially if you don't have a boat.

Here's my method I use all year pretty much for brook trout..like I said I don't know your experience level so don't take that the wrong way. There's a million different ways to catch fish but here's one I know that works.

I Like to fish a small river or brook, the size you can easily throw a rock across, or wade through to the other side. I like to see a gravel bottom river with lots of big rocks, ledges and logjams in it. I do not want anything too muddy or slow moving, trout need oxygen and faster water has that. I want the water to be moving fairly quickly in some spots and then pooling up in others but never really deadening out... I just googled this to give you a generel idea of the size (give or take) and look that I'm talking about..

Posted Image
I like that size maybe a bit bigger.

So when you're driving start watching for rivers like that, especially rivers that cross the road with trucks or cars parked at the bridge on nice days, hint hint B) that's usually an indication that there is some good fishing happening on those brooks/streams/rivers.

Fish up and down the sides of the brook, especially the pools below rapids, cast across the current and let your lure swing into the pools, also pay attention to sunken logs and logjams becasue the trout will hang out under these. Be carefull around the log jams too though, if you slip you dont want anything downstream from you for the current to pin you against.

Like someone already mentioned the farther away you get from the bridge - the better the fishing will usually get, but that doesn't mean you have to go 10k into the bush, you're competing with other people for the same fish and most people dont like to get their feet wet, or walk very far, or be alone in the woods, etc etc..

Hip waders go a long way in giving you an edge because it lets you get deeper faster, and even if a guy in dry shoes just fished where you are, you can fish pools on the far side and get better angles. Theres a couple places I fish where I don't even bother fishing the 200m from the bridge becasue it's so easy to get at in dry shoes that I know it gets fished out for that reason, I just hoof it ten mins straight downstream before I even bait the hook. Also with hip waders safety is again a major thing, you need to be really careful not to get too deep in fast water, plenty of people have died like that.

Another thing, before you go out, go on google maps and switch to satellite view, and see where the river comes from and is going and try to find and easy way to get farther from the main roads where you think it will have been fished less...keep in mind though google maps dosent really show huge embankments or swampy areas very well...been burned a few times on that, I hiked way back in the woods thinking I'm almost at the river then come to a huge cliff...

For tackle this is what I use, a snap swivel, a spinner, and a hook. Then I would take a nightcrawler and rip it in half , then thread the hook through the worm from the part where you ripped it to the tail (covering the whole hook )

Use that method you should be catching all kinds of fish out there in no time!

I uploaded a pic so you can see what I'm talking about for tackle..

Good luck to you! Be safe.

Posted Image

#5 GBROB

GBROB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Hi sorry for the late reply working two jobs. Last Saturday I took the advice and walked further in the woods and had great success both on the fly and spinning with rapalas and a super duper. Must have caught at least 20 trout (all catch and release) biggest one around 14".

#6 GBROB

GBROB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

I'd just like to add thanks for the good sat suggestions i walked around a lake I often see being fishing at to a brook that runs into it, where I got all the trout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users