#1 Mr.Lahey

Mr.Lahey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Anyone have any recommendations for a good handheld GPS for Nova Scotia? Something that might have back roads/atv trails/hiking trails labeled on them?

#2 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationPort Maitland, NS

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hi there-
The unit you want is a mapping unit, and then you purchase the maps you wish (as most lower end units come with a base "World map" which is not much use off a main road...), in your case it sounds like you would like a Topo Canada Map.
I have used many, many brands of GPS, and I can categorically state that Garmin's are very, very tough (this coming from purchasing many, many units and putting them in the hands of true "testers" - Grade school kids from Grades 3 to 12 !!!)
I think the least expensive Garmin with mapping availability is an E-Trex Legend H (which has 24MB for putting your maps in there- you can load pieces of the entire Cdn map until the unit is full...) I believe you should be able to get one for around $150 at most places, plus $85 for the East version of Topo Canada maps...
Hope that helps,
Bill

I am a Fine Art Conservation Photographer - to view my photos and writing visit my website at:
http://www.billcurry.ca

#3 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, NS

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm running a Garmin Map60 with Topo V4. It's great!

#4 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

You can also get free topo maps (legally) via:

http://www.ibycus.co...stopo/#Download

My set's a few years old now and I don't believe it has "routing" capability, but that's more relevant to vehicular use than outdoorsperson use.

Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#5 Mr.Lahey

Mr.Lahey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the replies all. I'm leaning towards a Garmin Etrex 20. they seem to be reasonably priced for me.

#6 Mr.Lahey

Mr.Lahey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

Thanks again for the info. I ended up purchasing the Etrex20 and I love it. I've upgraded to the topo maps as noted above by others and its very detailed... i coudln't believe some of the information it had.... back roads, trails, lakes, brooks ect. can't wait to get out in the woods and find some new holes.

#7 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

Know this discussion is old, but I love my Delmorme PN60W. I have the SPOT locator beacon to go with it, and it supports way mark files. So I have a file for fishing, a few for geocaching, etc. Comes with free map pack subscription for one year, and the desktop software is pretty decent too.

Personal hook & line records:
Chain Pickerel - 24" 4lbs
Small Mouth Bass - 19.25" and 2lbs 1oz
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Brown Bullhead - 10"
Shark - 120" Blue (dad's line actually :P )
Atlantic Cod - 36" (25 to 30 lbs approx)
Mackerel - tinkers
Scoulpin - who cares :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users