New To Ice Fishing, Help And Tips Please! - General Ice Fishing - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

New To Ice Fishing, Help And Tips Please!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jade

jade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hey guys, new to ice fishing.
I was wondering where I could go ice fishing around Truro and what kind of fish I'd be going for.
Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

-jade

#2 George

George

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hi Jade: I really don't know your area but you could try any sheltered coves or tidal ponds
or tributaries that freeze. Sand worns or a bag of store bought shrimp or squid should work well for smelt
just break a bit of the worm or shrimp and cover a small hook.
You and buy small rod/reel combos and leaders at Canadian or make your own. Please CHECK ice condtions,
open seasons and bag limits for you area.
Regards
Geo.

#3 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

if you have a vehicle you can go for bows on gairlock lake or there are a few lakes in Dartmouth and the closest to you would be shortts lake for chain pickerrel and perch try a small bit of smelt fronm the groc store on a flashey spoon or jig but you will have to have your 2011 lic on you to go for these or go to your dnr office to get one. The 2011 anglers handbook has which lakes are open near you and the bag limits. Good luck and be careful the ice han't been the best this year and believe it or not the season may actually soon be coming to an end b\c some places the ice is already getting soft from what I have heard.

welcome to the site

gf
please practice a sustainable harvest

#4 slimer

slimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

im also in truro  and i think i know u jade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users