• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Moose1967

Moose1967

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

Can we start a "Smelt Fishing" section like Trout Fishing, Salmon Fishing etc. ??

#2 born 2 fish foreced 2 work

born 2 fish foreced 2 work

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationdartmouth ns

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

there is one in saltwater section here the link hope it works http://novascotiafis...ic/1593-smelts/
HAPPY FISHING

#3 jharlow

jharlow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Was told some folks where fishing saltwater bays this weekend near lunenburg ,I assume for smelts has anyone been out for them yet ?

#4 jharlow

jharlow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Was going to head out this weekend looking for some smelts anyone been to oyster pond lately how's the ice ??? Was also thinking of trying on the south shore but I don't know any spots ..any advice

#5 Nemo

Nemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Quite a few guys fish a spot on the LaHave called Burns Cove - it is about 6-7 kms down river from where route 325 crosses (the main bridge downtown) - it is on the east side of the river. You will definitey see people out in the cove there this weekend - most folks will be up at the head of the cove - that is where I have had my best luck. Should be plenty of ice to fish that spot this weekend.

#6 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

You will definitey see people out in the cove there this weekend.

yup, see yall there!
Trav

#7 jharlow

jharlow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Was checking a map to see if I could find this spot no luck,,, could even find the rout 325 ...

#8 jharlow

jharlow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Sorry used a different map ....found it !!

#9 jharlow

jharlow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Heading down that way on the weekend was wondering if there only caught on the tides or do they bite all day ..

#10 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Depends. Look into putting in a long day to get the feel for it down here. Start early, leave late. Usually dawn and dusk are easy times to choose, and on in coming tides. I'm gonna be out off and on most of the weekend, to get the trends. Sometimes it can differ by days. Choosing a location is also a factor. So is your bait choice. :)

#11 jharlow

jharlow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Well I think it going to be a good day to bring the pop up and the buddy heater and my backup heater .as far as bait goes I had dyed some shrimp red I also have a good assortment of gulp and trigger x hopefully I will have something they will like...what do most people use ..thanks

#12 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationTrenton, Pictou County, Nova Scotia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Just gotta say that I use squid for smelts, just little slivers or squares, squid is to tough it stays on all day and you rarely have to re-bait.
"There's more to fishing than catching fish"
Join me on Facebook or Youtube for lots of great pictures of my trips and catches, flies and fly tying.
Also plenty of tips, tricks and videos!! Join up and tell your friends.
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Facebook
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Youtube

#13 Ailken

Ailken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationProspect Bay

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hey folks, was wondering how you made out... Another father & me plan to head there next weekend to give our 5 year old kids a fighting chance. How did the ice make out after the rain and fog?

#14 novascotiaglass

novascotiaglass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationHailing from Cape Sable Island By Way of Hatchet Lake

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

I was also wondering how the ice has made out over the past few warm days. I was thinking about heading to Oyster Pond or somewhere in that area. I've never been before so I am not sure how well the ice holds in there or how much there has been so far this year. It's about an hour drive for me so if anyone knows the ice situation it would be greatly appreciated.

I do have reports that there has been plenty of ice in Annapolis and Lahave. However over the past week I've also heard reports of very poor smelt fishing. Ive heard of people going all day in Annaopolis and catching only a dozen or 2. And ive also heard reports of people catching none after a full day in LaHave. Hopefully the run gets better as the winter goes.

#15 Nemo

Nemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Was on the LaHave last saturday morning, virtually no action - most guys caught a couple, but I doubt anyone got more than a dozen - it was completely dead by 8:30 AM - that's the only time I have been out for smelts this year.

#16 novascotiaglass

novascotiaglass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationHailing from Cape Sable Island By Way of Hatchet Lake

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

We were out on Oyster Pond on Saturday. We fished from around 8:15 to 12:15 and didnt score a single smelt. A few others there caught a handfull, but that was about it. The boys there were also saying they weren't catching much on Musquodoboit Harbour. Looks like the run hasn't really started yet. I also heard that the ice in Annapolis took a pounding during that warm spell last week, I don't think it was safe on the weekend.

Hopefully the smelt run picks up here in the next few weeks.

#17 fishingcaptain

fishingcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationn.s.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Had some friends fish in Annapolis and caught 3 smelts.....Another buddy of mine went to Bridgewater today and between 3 of them they never caught one....Was ten Inches of ice in Bridgewater now....We have never tried Grand lake,but plan on giving it a try real soon...Can't be any worse by the sou D's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users