#1 BWL

BWL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPort Hawkesbury

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

First a little backround. I've been fishing since I was old enough to hold a fishing rod. Took about ten years off and just started back again this year. I started fly fishing in the late 80's but never really was a student of fly fishing. I just bought flies tied them on and fished. And in spite of my lack of knowlege I caught fish. Guess I was lucky.
In june of this year some fly tying gear went up for sale here on this site. I bought it and deceided that I needed to learn a bit about tying. I've read a few books and watched a lot of video on you tube. In the late part of the season I actually caught fish on flies I tied myself and now I'm hooked. (Pun intended)
From what I've read I really wonder now how I ever managed to catch fish, but, there was only one day out of many between April and September this year when I didn't catch anything on the fly. Lucky again.
Now here's what I am looking for. I'd love to see you guys who have all the experience post your top five flies in the various categories. Top five streamers.... top five nymphs.... top five drys etc. Maybe we could even throw in different categories for various species like browns speckles, salmon etc. I'd love to see a real exchange of info on what works here in Nova Scotia.
This is a bit of a selfish request because I'm looking to figure out what I should have in my fly box next spring but maybe it will work to everyone's advantage too. What do you think?

#2 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:10 AM

i won't get to deep into this. however i hope that oithers do. i never did much nymph fishing at all, and only persued native brookies and salmon with the long rod. so i'll just list my top 5 trout flies.

muddler minnow, you just can't go wrong!
adams,it's all good
plain old olive caddis fly,simply amazing.skim it along the surface!
4th one i have no name for.it's simply a golden pheasant tippet tail,silver body and brown hackle tied collar style.wet fly
then an olive wooly worm in either grizzly or brown hackle, it simply works on anything that swims!and any size!

later,jonathan

p.s.,honorary mention to the dark cahill, it's a great may fly imitation. i just didn't have the patience to strip the peacock herl for the body.

#3 mcmutt

mcmutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationTruro NS

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

Muddler, Elk Hair Caddis, Creation soft hackle(should be in my pics), Reg Baird's Invincible Ghost, and a Mickey Finn.
Honorable mention to the Royal Wulff, Usual, gold ribbed hare's ear, Hornberg, and Adams
My site: Mutt's Flies on Facebook !!

#4 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

Mudler, Coachman, Dark Montreal, Trude and Thunder Spey. Picket Pin, 20 incher and Cupsuptic also deserve mention.

#5 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Hi All
Always interesting reading what other think.
Perhaps we should arrange for a few old trout from a C&R area
to tell us theirs - lol
But mine are - mostly in order but not necessarily so.
I had to leave out streamers as I rarely use them.
1 - Black Klink size 16 First choice when fish are on top. Matching the hatch is
beyond me - so if this doesn't work I go to 5.
2 - PMac Seal Bugger tied on a tube. Black or olive, Cone or no cone.
Thanks to Paul Marriner, Reg Baird and George Kreigland who all had
a hand in coming up with this one.
3 - The Brats Tube Caddis. I don't know who "The Brat" is but it is sure
a super fly on a warm June evening. Came in GFs swap last winter.
That was one of the best swaps for quality of flies. As they say "Less is More".
4 - Tube Muddlers tied on copper tubes. This for early April and deep fast holes
at any time. Someone on this site recommended them and they turned out great.
I believe the someone is now gone from the site - guess he grabbed a muddler in
Catch and Fry water!
5 - A tube midge - a simple fly but very effective - Thanks to Ed Koch. It doesn't resemle
anything but passes for many things. I don't expect many to rush out to tie one up!
Thanks for all your suggestions - maybe I'll extract a sixth from someones favorites.
Have a nice December - dreaming of jumping trout on a warm June evening with
an eggnog fortified with some Screech.
Paul

#6 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

My Favorites

Dries:- Royal Wulff, Dark Hendrickson, Snow Shoe Caddis, Stimulator, Klink Hammer

Others:- Rabbit Strip Muddlers, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Hares Ear Nymph, Orange Mickey Finn, Regs Invincible Ghost

Of course I carry tonnes more and my favorites change at various times of year... and I have caught a trout on a fly that was tied by someone else in a decade or more... most of the enjoyment comes from fooling them on flies tied by myself.

Posted Image

#7 Tim Smith

Tim Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

This year it was Mickey Finn, Muddler Minnow, larva lace caddis, hares ear bead head, and the Hemmingway Caddis

#8 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

I guess this thread shows the impossible task of finding the best flies by asking members what their favs are. I must say I could agree with the flies members have shared. It becomes your favs for spring, summer and fall. I have one fly I would fish with confidence all three seasons and that would be a cone head wolly bugger size 6,8, and 10. I agree with mushamush on his selection especially the black Klink. Tim's Muddler always a good one. NSyakfisher's Stimulator is a winner as well. One I haven't seen is Joe's Hopper. I think there is one in NSyak'sImage. Interesting thread!

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#9 Robbie Hiltz

Robbie Hiltz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationThe Valley

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

Grey Ghost, Governor, Ice black Zonker WB,Magog and zuddler

Black Knat, Tims Sedgehogs, Hendrickson klink, march brown and Renegade

20 incher, prince, stones, montana, Copper john and beaded pheasant tail

Great thread folks!
The best things in life aren't things

#10 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

Perry, the hopper in my pic is very similiar to Joe's Hopper but is actually an E-Z Hopper.... it has a foam body and is a great floater... I find it performs better for me than any other hopper pattern I have tried and can be easily modified by changing the colors to do a cricket which in September is a killer on the Cornwalis.

Robbie reminded me of Tim's Sedgehog patterns.... I carry quite a few different colors and sizes of this fly and is my goto for caddis if the Snow Shoe caddis isn't producing.

#11 mikez

mikez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHead Jeddore

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

I guess everyone's got their favourite go tos.
Some of mine are a little less identifiable because they aren't standard patterns but...
1. Brown Seal Compara Dun / haystack with a deerhair wing (no-hackle dry)
2. Dark Caddis (peacock/black hackle/deerhair) sort of a very dark variant elk hair caddis
3. Black Ghost - MUST have polar bear wing
4. Pheasant tail beadhead (can also be tied with glass bead body)
5. Wooly Bugger - one of about a zillion variations
Plus stonefly nymphs, muddlers, hoppers (that you can fish across the surface like you would a stimulator, Gurglers of all shapes and colours

#12 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

Five favourites.... that's a hard one there are so many good patterns.

PMac's seal fur bugger for sure. This is a great fly all season but I fish it the most when the waters cold. Hooked a rainbow on one today.
Posted Image

The sedgehog would be the second. This is a great all purpose pattern for spring stones and many sedges.
Posted Image

The third would have to be the Edson Zuddler. This is one of the best bait fish imitations that I have found.

Posted Image

The fourth would most likely be the black quill klink.

Posted Image

And the fifth would be a toss up between a hairwing Dark Montreal and a Partridge and Green

Posted Image

Posted Image
Stop Aquatic Invasives! Spread the word, not the species.

#13 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

my fav would be a simple deer hair caddis,light brown body #10, a rabbit strip muddler and a buck bug with an orange hackle or a buck bug natural in color with a red mid section and grizzly hackle and moose mane tail # 8 0r 10

but I see a few on here I'll be tying and trying for sure
please practice a sustainable harvest

#14 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationPort Maitland, NS

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:22 AM

Hi all-
Favourite five flies and why:
#5 is a Clouser Minnow - the Clouser can be used for almost any salt water species, and works wonders for shad as well. In bright green or a dark red, the Clouser is a go to fly for many fish that lie deep.
#4 is my second choice dry fly which would be a Royal Coachman - this is a purely attractor dry fly, although it can also be tied wet, as it doesn't really "represent" anything in our waters. It's shape suggests many dry flies that might be on the water, and the flash and the colours tend to get noticed. Especially in more remote areas, where fish may have seen fewer flies, this would be one of my favourites.
#3 is my top dry fly choice, which would be the Quill Gordon. Really, it isn't because the fly is any more effective than others, it's just that the QG represents the first big dry fly to hatch in our waters in Spring (Hendricksons), and it really signals the beginning of the best dry fly fishing of the year.
#2 would be a Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph - this is because this fly imitates all kinds of things that hatch in the early Spring, and this fly, fished slowly and deep in early season is an absolute delight.
My #1 fly, though, is a Muddler Minnow. This fly is the one fly I always have on me, and I fish it throughout the entire season. It represents so many things in the water, from a large nymph to a small minnow, and works on trout, salmon, bass and other fish, so it really is the one must have in your fly box. If there was a contest and you had to fish with just one fly - this would be mine.

Bill

I am a Fine Art Conservation Photographer - to view my photos and writing visit my website at:
http://www.billcurry.ca

#15 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

The Muddler is a mystery to me Bill.
I couldn't catch a cold on it - lol
One fellow gets a dozen that I tie from me every year
- swears they are the best flies going.
So the flies must be good.
I need take Muddler 101 from someone!
Have a nice fall
Paul

#16 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

The Muddler is a mystery to me Bill.
I couldn't catch a cold on it - lol
One fellow gets a dozen that I tie from me every year
- swears they are the best flies going.
So the flies must be good.
I need take Muddler 101 from someone!
Have a nice fall
Paul

Thank God I'm not the only one. I was starting to think I was the only fly fisher in the world who couldn't catch a fish with a Muddler. And I've tried every presentation I can think of.

Give me a wooly bugger, a Griffith's gnat, and an elk-hair caddis.

Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#17 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

i have a hard time believing that ANYONE can't catch a fish on a muddler!much less 2 with your skills.me , detect something arreiy here!

i also sell more muddlers than anything else, so obviously people love em , and unless they're using them as tree decorations, they must be working for them.lol

later,jonathan

#18 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

You will have to add me to that list J. I don't think I have a traditional muddler in any of my fly boxes.
Stop Aquatic Invasives! Spread the word, not the species.

#19 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

WOW , and to think, that's my number 1 go to fly in any size!

just goes to show confidence in a bait , or fly.and i've used them in any type of water(lake , streams,etc)

love this thread to show which flies others have confdence in;builds confidence for others,imo.

later,jonathan

#20 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

i have a hard time believing that ANYONE can't catch a fish on a muddler!much less 2 with your skills.me , detect something arreiy here!

i also sell more muddlers than anything else, so obviously people love em , and unless they're using them as tree decorations, they must be working for them.lol

later,jonathan

Nobody ever went broke underestimating my fishing skills. Incidentally, I've found that virtually any fly pattern can be a tree decoration, usually when I least expect it.

Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users