• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

This kettle came from a recommendation of wiwfrm who recommended it to me as an easy way to have a hot coffee in the field without a thermos. It is a wood stove that uses twigs, leaves, shaveings, birch bark etc as a fire source in a cup at the bottom. The top has a waterjacket and you fill it and start the fire in the cup then you set the top on a point the draft holes into the wind and it starts to roar and go up the chimney. I started this burn with birch bark and pine needles and had a rolling boil in 2 mins. It will be a joy to use with no naptha gas or bottled gas. The chimney has enough room for coffee, sugar cup etc. so is self contained in a pouch. My limited experiance with this shows great promise and I recommend this to anyone who needs hot water in 2 mins for a cup of tea or coffee.Posted Image
Posted Image

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#2 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

Perry I've had one on my "wish list" for quite sometime....I've seen them in action and are a great rig....lotsa times way up the Nor'west early in the morning I'd kill for a coffee and I hate carrying a thermos cause they just don't stay hot and I like my coffee hot not luke warm!! Thanks for posting I'll have to remind Mrs. M of my "list"

#3 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

X2

Thermoses really suck. I got my first one from my mother for Christmas when I was a teenager. I asked her what it did and she said, "A Thermos keeps hot things hot and cold things cold." The first time I used it put some hot soup and ice cream in it. It didn't keep them hot or cold.

The Kelly kettle looks like a much better rig. Except for ice cream. I wouldn't use it for ice cream.

Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#4 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Timely review Perry, I've wanted one for awhile and it's on my Christmas list, there's a cook set available for them too, is that the small or large one you have

Greg

#5 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

LSF, if you dont get one from Santa and I can understand it if you dont. :) I'll bring mine along To the Chi when I come up! lol
Paul ice cream and soup?? Are you pregnent?
Greg, small one. It heats 2 cups water. The large one would be great for a base camp but the small one is well; compact.

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#6 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

You and I and Bob will get a trip in this summer Perry and along with Dan Despres we'll have a blast and see some nice country ;) I hear yah on the Santa thing ...lump od coal is all I'm getting...and all the bills from xmas

#7 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

I'm glad you like it. I use ours quite a bit for day trips. We are going to buy the bigger one for X mas. We use it quite a bit when we go in the back country for drinking water, it uses only a small amount of wood compared to a campfire, and it saves the naphtha for cooking.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Stop Aquatic Invasives! Spread the word, not the species.

#8 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

The only thing that I would suggest is that you make yourself a draft for over the chimney if you are going to use it to boil water for drinking. It is hard to keep it at a rolling boil and not boil it over without a draft.

#9 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

neat where do you get one, would be great for ice fishing,thanks for sharing
please practice a sustainable harvest

#10 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Lee Valley has them, Bayers Lake park

Greg

#11 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationTrenton, Pictou County, Nova Scotia

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

Ive had one for the last few years and LOVE IT, I take it with me everywhere, camping, fishing, hiking, I keep it in my truck in case of a break down or if im ever stranded on the roadside in winter. Saw it on a British fishing show and ordered it from the UK right away. There are some nifty attachments for it also. Wouldn't want to be without one. Here's a shot from '09 on Middle River.

Posted Image
"There's more to fishing than catching fish"
Join me on Facebook or Youtube for lots of great pictures of my trips and catches, flies and fly tying.
Also plenty of tips, tricks and videos!! Join up and tell your friends.
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Facebook
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Youtube

#12 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

Lee Valley has them, Bayers Lake park

Greg

thanks greg

#13 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

pretty nice but i'm still not throwing away my tomato juice can.

#14 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

pretty nice but i'm still not throwing away my tomato juice can.

Here's the thing to put under your tomato juice can:

http://www.pbase.com...e/102405972.jpg

I've built a couple of these wood-gas stoves and it's remarkable how efficient the combustion can be. Not as slick as a Kelly Kettle, but extremely compact and you can cook your meals with 'em, too.

Paul

#15 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

Here's the thing to put under your tomato juice can:

http://www.pbase.com...e/102405972.jpg

I've built a couple of these wood-gas stoves and it's remarkable how efficient the combustion can be. Not as slick as a Kelly Kettle, but extremely compact and you can cook your meals with 'em, too.

Paul

I have the plans for a couple of those but never got around to building one. I always wanted to try one, but I wasn't sure if they were worth the effort. Which design did you build?

#16 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:00 AM

I have the plans for a couple of those but never got around to building one. I always wanted to try one, but I wasn't sure if they were worth the effort. Which design did you build?

If you have the tools and the cans handy, you can bang one out in about 15 minutes.

I built very small ones with a 14 oz. can for the interior and a 20 oz. can for the exterior. Mine are very similar to the one in the picture. I drilled a bunch of small holes (1/32 inch, I think) in the bottom of the interior can and eight larger holes (3/8 inch, I think) around the top edge. I drilled eight more of these holes around the open end of the larger can. Then I cut out the bottom of the larger can with tin snips, inverted it, and pressed the smaller can into the opening (friction fit).

It's neat to watch it burn. When it's up to temperature, the wood gassifies. The cold air is drawn (and heated somewhat) between the two cans. When it reaches the top holes in the interior can, it enters the combustion chamber and mixes with the gas. The flames shoot inward from the holes. Combustion is almost totally complete. You need very little fuel and create very little ash.

I've also made ethanol-fuelled penny stoves. They are really slick and extraordinarily compact and light, but you have to carry the fuel with you. They also only burn for a few minutes. If you need to cook something any longer, you need to re-fuel, prime, and start them again. With the wood-gas stove, you can keep adding small bits of wood.

Paul

#17 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

I hope my wife doesn't read this, I don't really want a tin can for Christmas, but ya, Google hobo stoves and you'll find lots of instructionals, I tried making one years ago but when I poked the holes the soup ran out and extinguished the fire. ........... seems like a design flaw to me

Cheers
Greg

#18 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

I hope my wife doesn't read this, I don't really want a tin can for Christmas, but ya, Google hobo stoves and you'll find lots of instructionals, I tried making one years ago but when I poked the holes the soup ran out and extinguished the fire. ........... seems like a design flaw to me

I tried a hobo stove and it was simply a fire in a can. It's the can-in-a-can design of a wood-gas stove that makes a world of difference.

But you need a Kelly Kettle to hold the soup that you pour out of the cans. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Greg DEFINITELY needs a Kelly Kettle for Christmas.

Paul (with the save)

#19 salar

salar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

my kelly is my favorite peace of gear------it goes every wear with me-------had it for about 10 years now

#20 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

If you have the tools and the cans handy, you can bang one out in about 15 minutes.

I built very small ones with a 14 oz. can for the interior and a 20 oz. can for the exterior. Mine are very similar to the one in the picture. I drilled a bunch of small holes (1/32 inch, I think) in the bottom of the interior can and eight larger holes (3/8 inch, I think) around the top edge. I drilled eight more of these holes around the open end of the larger can. Then I cut out the bottom of the larger can with tin snips, inverted it, and pressed the smaller can into the opening (friction fit).

It's neat to watch it burn. When it's up to temperature, the wood gassifies. The cold air is drawn (and heated somewhat) between the two cans. When it reaches the top holes in the interior can, it enters the combustion chamber and mixes with the gas. The flames shoot inward from the holes. Combustion is almost totally complete. You need very little fuel and create very little ash.

I've also made ethanol-fuelled penny stoves. They are really slick and extraordinarily compact and light, but you have to carry the fuel with you. They also only burn for a few minutes. If you need to cook something any longer, you need to re-fuel, prime, and start them again. With the wood-gas stove, you can keep adding small bits of wood.

Paul

got any pics I am more of a visual learner

thanks gf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users