2 replies to this topic

#1 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hey lads!
I'm curious what you guys in Nova Scotia do for fishing smelts?
Here in NB, we typically fish in about 6-15 feet of water. We use a sinker on the bottom of the line, and attach up to 3 hooks (#8's) spaced about six to eight inches apart with the lowest one being about eight inches from the sinker. We'll put shrimp on the hooks (one coctail shrimp cut into 3 pieces, one peice per hook) then drop the line all the way to the bottom. Then, we'll balance the rod on one finger to feel the slight hits (ready to grip the whole thing when needed), then give a little jig to set the hook. I find shrimp is the best bait, however it falls off the hook easily so you're constantly re-baiting your hooks.

It doesn't really matter what time of day/night we fish, since when it's good, it's good and vice-versa. We find that they come in waves, with it being good for about 45 minutes to an hour, then there's a lull with little to nothing for a half-hour to 45 minutes, then it's on again and so on.

#2 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

I have only ever fished smelts with hook and bait several times, around here jigging in the spring is the way it goes, also heard of small smelt nets being used by some. However the few times I tried it both off the Hantsport wharf as well as through the ice up in the Granville area, we did it similarly. The only difference (here anyways) was the bait. We would dig worms in the fall and keep them cool in our fridges (My wife was not so likable to this ) however it sure worked. When the smelts were on they were there, but when they were not sure made for a long uneventful sit on the ice and the wharf.
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#3 XBONESX

XBONESX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEastern Passage

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

Salt water smelts i use 3 hooks with lil yarn them and sand worms or squid. Fresh water smelts its all about the flasher =) and a small jig for me.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users