Lahave Raw Sewage Concerns Hit Council - Page 2 - Rivers & Streams - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Lahave Raw Sewage Concerns Hit Council

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

The ns gov't is currently doing a public review on the environment act, deadline for submissions is sept 6 or 7. My link
now is a good time to give your opinions.

Hey Basindawg,

Thanks for posting this. I somehow missed this? I'll definitely be responding, with my two cents, before the Sept.6, 2011 deadline. Wish I'd had more time.

In reading the Proposed Changes to the Environment Act, there are a few concerns raised, as well, some possibly beneficial changes proposed.

Of concern is this statement (for instance), " We propose to add a number of new sections to the Act that will give us the authority to develop and use other ways of regulating that are faster and simpler than approvals, but just as rigourous. These might include registrations, notifications, permits, licences and codes of practice; all of which are used in other jurisdictions. The proposed changes will not, by themselves, create these new processes. The changes will simply give us the necessary authority to develop them."

Seldom does "faster and simpler" equate to better with regard to approval processes. The implimentation of "fees and licences" is also concerning. This poses little effect on Business, but may be problematic for the private property owner. As well, the last thing this Province needs is additional, ever escalating, fees.(Taxes by another name)

Proposed wording changes are also of concern. The change of one word "could" possibly change the intent of the original writer. Care must be taken in this regard.

Some of the changes appear to be beneficial, but require further clarity in order to properly be assessed.

Changes to an important Act such as the Environment Act, require careful scrutiny. They have far reaching effects and it will remain to be seen if their intention is beneficial.

Thanks again,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#22 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

Hey Basindawg,

Thanks for posting this. I somehow missed this? I'll definitely be responding, with my two cents, before the Sept.6, 2011 deadline. Wish I'd had more time.

In reading the Proposed Changes to the Environment Act, there are a few concerns raised, as well, some possibly beneficial changes proposed.

Of concern is this statement (for instance), " We propose to add a number of new sections to the Act that will give us the authority to develop and use other ways of regulating that are faster and simpler than approvals, but just as rigourous. These might include registrations, notifications, permits, licences and codes of practice; all of which are used in other jurisdictions. The proposed changes will not, by themselves, create these new processes. The changes will simply give us the necessary authority to develop them."

Seldom does "faster ans simpler" equate to better with regard to approval processes. The implimentation of "fees and licences" is also concerning. This poses little effect on Business, but may be problematic for the private property owner. As well, the last thing this Province needs is additional, ever escalating, fees.(Taxes by another name)

Proposed wording changes are also of concern. The change of one word "could" possibly change the intent of the original writer. Care must be taken in this regard.

Some of the changes appear to be beneficial, but require further clarity in order to properly be assessed.

Changes to an important Act such as the Environment Act, require careful scrutiny. They have far reaching effects and it will remain to be seen if their intention is beneficial.

Thanks again,

Terran

anythings worth a shot! give em hell General! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users