Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

Hey Gang,

This article, on effluent entering the LaHave, appeared in this mornings Chronicle Herald (Sept. 2, 2011).

LaHave raw sewage concerns hit council By BEVERLEY WARE South Shore Bureau
Fri, Sep 2 - 4:54 AM
BRIDGEWATER — It was sheer, unheralded luxury for Wayne Mulock.

He was on the brink of becoming a teenager, and his father had just installed a furnace and a bathroom in their Upper LaHave home. Young Wayne no longer had to carry buckets of water into the house or head to the outhouse on cold winter nights.

But today, nearly 50 years later, Mulock is frustrated that a number of homes still pipe effluent directly into the LaHave River.

"My parents were not wealthy," he said, but they saw the importance of installing a proper septic system when they put a furnace in their home in the early 1960s and added indoor plumbing.

Mulock and his wife Jan McKenzie swam in the river until this summer. They stopped after seeing the results of a consultant’s report from 1993 on effluent levels in the river.

Mulock doesn’t ice fish anymore, either, shuddering at the thought he ate the fish for years.

Mulock took his frustrations to District of Lunenburg council Thursday. It brought in Kristen Martell from the provincial Environment Department to talk about what can be done about houses that have straight pipes dumping into the river. Such pipes are not allowed.

"A straight pipe is not a proper system," Martell said, but the department can only act if it has reasonable and probable grounds to search someone’s property.

She said it does not have the legal authority to go door to door to see what systems people have. That means the department needs a complaint that can be supported with evidence suggesting a home has straight pipes.

Mulock said many residents believe their properties are protected by a grandfather clause, but Martell said that is not the case and the pipes are not permissible.

Martell said she will take up this concern with the department’s senior management team and on-site sewage management co-ordinator.

Council will follow up with Martell after those meetings, and Mayor Don Downe said it may also send a letter to the province asking it to consider requiring an assessment of sewage disposal systems when a property sells or its title is transferred.

( [email protected])

Excerpt taken from The Chronicle Herald's Sept. 2,2011 edition.

I find it funny that in this time of supposed heightened environmental awareness that the Dept. of Environment, "does not have the legal authority to go door to door to see what systems people have".

Government can annex properties to build off-ramps, but can't go out and see who is pumping s**t in a river?

Any comments?

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#2 sdcaller

sdcaller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

While I live in Ontario, I'm in NS at least once a year to see family in the Bridgewater area.

Several years back, I was on the parking deck by the main street and looking into the river after a heavy rain.
It appeared to me the Brigewater sewers were pouring raw sewage directly into the river?
Am I right in what I think I saw?
Is that still going on or did that get corrected?
SDC

#3 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:36 AM

While I live in Ontario, I'm in NS at least once a year to see family in the Bridgewater area.

Several years back, I was on the parking deck by the main street and looking into the river after a heavy rain.
It appeared to me the Brigewater sewers were pouring raw sewage directly into the river?
Am I right in what I think I saw?
Is that still going on or did that get corrected?
SDC

Bridgewater has a sewer system with a waste water treatment plant. So sanitary sewer is directed to that plant. What you were probably seeing discharging was the storm water system which collects storm water runoff.
Stop Aquatic Invasives! Spread the word, not the species.

#4 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

I reported raw sewage from Kentville going into the Cornwallis River years ago. I was told it was a storm drain I saw and thank you for reporting. They investigaed further and did a water sample and then the sh## hit the fan. They poured dye into all the homes and business operations toilets in the area and when they got to a service station the dye came thru. They dug it up and found the sewer hooked to the wrong pipe and made the fix. It was a mistake and corrected by the town and kudos to them. SOmetimes the system works.
If there is a suspection that sewage is going into the La Have river I would look into the outfall and backtrack with dye as they did in this case.

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#5 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hi All
From doing volunteer work with BACF, if memory serves the West Lahave River always tested high in whatever indicates sewage.
There were several cattle farms above where we took the samples and there was a possibility it came from them.
It was my understanding at the time if you lived in a rural area you couldn't use a direct pipe to the river but if you lived in town it was permitted not to say everyone abided by regulations.
I have no idea why that was so!
Have a nice summer
Paul

#6 trutta

trutta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

I think the issue here is pipes along the estuary between Bridgewater and Lahave/Riverport areas. This has been an issue in the past. I don't think it applies to the freshwater only portion above silver Hill Brook, but I stand to be corrected. New Germany has a treatment plant as well(although machinery does malfunction FTTT). I suppose there may be camps or older properties up river where this happens. But I have fished the river for 47 years, walked or canoed almost all of it and have never came across a raw sewage pipe entering the stream.

#7 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

SO WHAT'S THE POINT??????

Raw sewage went directly into Halifax Harbour for over 200 years!!! Now that they have the sewage treatment plant up and running, they think the Harbour will be OK now!?!?!? Personally, I would not swim in, or eat any fish caught in there for the next 200 years!!!! Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

SO WHAT'S THE POINT??????

Raw sewage went directly into Halifax Harbour for over 200 years!!! Now that they have the sewage treatment plant up and running, they think the Harbour will be OK now!?!?!? Personally, I would not swim in, or eat any fish caught in there for the next 200 years!!!! Posted Image

Hey X,

Totally agree with your assessment of the Halifax Crapper (I mean Harbour). Two hundred years of effluent and God knows what else building FEET of sediment on the Harbour bottom was not corrected in a couple months of sewer treatment.

AND...have you seen our Mayor lately? Those swims in the Harbour don't seem to have improved his health any. In fact, after the first one (if my memory serves) he was hospitalized for several weeks with an undisclosed stomach ailment. (Can you say Cholera?) The man looks ill.

Amazing what they would have us believe. Sad fact is...some do.

Cheers,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#9 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hey X,

Totally agree with your assessment of the Halifax Crapper (I mean Harbour). Two hundred years of effluent and God knows what else building FEET of sediment on the Harbour bottom was not corrected in a couple months of sewer treatment.

AND...have you seen our Mayor lately? Those swims in the Harbour don't seem to have improved his health any. In fact, after the first one (if my memory serves) he was hospitalized for several weeks with an undisclosed stomach ailment. (Can you say Cholera?) The man looks ill.

Cheers,

Terran

Terran, you da man! I don`t mean to be unkind to the good mayor but I think that swim was a publicity stunt gone horribly wrong. While many of the sheep believed the harbour was clean and safe I don`t recall seeing hoardes of swimmers out there in tu*&d Bay. As for raw sewage going into fish habitat, get the right person from DFO to call the right person at D.O.E and I think you`d see some action taken. Perry cited a great example with the Cornwallis, good job Perry ! If you see `crap`like that going on dig your toes in and start making phone calls, take some pics, and make some noise, it does work sometimes.

#10 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

They wouldn't say it if it wasn't "TRUE"......................................would they?????? LMFAO Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

They wouldn't say it if it wasn't "TRUE"......................................would they?????? LMFAO Posted Image

Xlobsterman c'mon have you ever met a politician who didn't tell the entire truth ? If it comes form government you can take it as gospel.

#12 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

I couldn't find the video of Mayor Kelly swimming in the Halifax Toilet, but I did find this:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjD4sZoi8Q0"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TjD4sZoi8Q0[/url]

http://www.metronews...ash-for-charity

BTW, read the article in the link above. The 2 swimmers encountered some "FLOATABLES" shortly after starting their swim across the harbour!!!!! LMAO

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

LMFAO........................I found this rap video that even mentions the disease laden Halifax Harbour!!!!!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3mVBmmruWM"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=f3mVBmmruWM[/url]

Posted Image

#14 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

I couldn't find the video of Mayor Kelly swimming in the Halifax Toilet, but I did find this:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjD4sZoi8Q0"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TjD4sZoi8Q0[/url]

http://www.metronews...ash-for-charity

BTW, read the article in the link above. The 2 swimmers encountered some "FLOATABLES" shortly after starting their swim across the harbour!!!!! LMAO

Posted Image

Holey CRAP I wouldn't do it even at gun point.

#15 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

Hey Guys,

(LMAO) You guys soooo crazy! :lol: :lol:

X - seriously, how much freaking time do you spend surfing for this stuff? Don't stop. Love the Classified song. (Kid from Enfield makes good. NICE!)

Basindawg (member of the Rebel Forces ;) ) Wouldn't mind shoving a few more politicians in though! Anybody found the handle to flush that thing?

Check out the story in todays Chronicle Herald: Waterfront smell still a mystery

What mystery? Two hundred years of CRAP and nobody scrubbed the bowl! Think really, really, REALLY old gas station bathroom... X10.

You guy's made my morning...thanks.

Terran

#16 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

Check out the story in todays Chronicle Herald: Waterfront smell still a mystery

What mystery? Two hundred years of CRAP and nobody scrubbed the bowl! Think really, really, REALLY old gas station bathroom... X10.

The few days they had the smell in the harbour, were the days where we had some extreme high and low tides from the New Moon. Do you think this water movement stirred up the 200 years of SLUDGE laying on the bottom of the NOW SAFE Halifax Toilet???????? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

Hi All
The real mystery to me is why the people of Halifax allowed that to happen for so long. Someone from outside the city would have thought concerned citizens would have stood up and said we want a mayor to spend some dollars and to clean up this mess.
Seemed to me the point was to keep taxes low, grab as much government money as possible and s**t in the harbour. Not a picture of great citizens.
I once helped out a young lady from Bridgewater who was running for council. Lots of folks told me she has a young family - she will want to improve the schools and our taxes will go up. My lesson for that effort was that not many folks will vote for a politician who is liable to increase taxes.
Especially when s**ting in the harbour is much cheaper. How can they be persuaded otherwise?
Have a nice day
Paul

#18 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, NS

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

I only wish the people of Halifax had actually paid for their sewer system.
If my system fails, I'm out 8,000-$30,000. Halifax residents had their system paid for with taxes from all of us. Plus the infrastructure money that came from the Federal gas tax, which was paid for by the people that drive the most; rural residents.

#19 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

I only wish the people of Halifax had actually paid for their sewer system.
If my system fails, I'm out 8,000-$30,000. Halifax residents had their system paid for with taxes from all of us. Plus the infrastructure money that came from the Federal gas tax, which was paid for by the people that drive the most; rural residents.

The ns gov't is currently doing a public review on the environment act, deadline for submissions is sept 6 or 7. My link
now is a good time to give your opinions.

#20 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

The ns gov't is currently doing a public review on the environment act, deadline for submissions is sept 6 or 7. My link
now is a good time to give your opinions.

Hey Basindawg,

Thanks for posting this. I somehow missed this? I'll definitely be responding, with my two cents, before the Sept.6, 2011 deadline. Wish I'd had more time.

In reading the Proposed Changes to the Environment Act, there are a few concerns raised, as well, some possibly beneficial changes proposed.

Of concern is this statement (for instance), " We propose to add a number of new sections to the Act that will give us the authority to develop and use other ways of regulating that are faster and simpler than approvals, but just as rigourous. These might include registrations, notifications, permits, licences and codes of practice; all of which are used in other jurisdictions. The proposed changes will not, by themselves, create these new processes. The changes will simply give us the necessary authority to develop them."

Seldom does "faster ans simpler" equate to better with regard to approval processes. The implimentation of "fees and licences" is also concerning. This poses little effect on Business, but may be problematic for the private property owner. As well, the last thing this Province needs is additional, ever escalating, fees.(Taxes by another name)

Proposed wording changes are also of concern. The change of one word "could" possibly change the intent of the original writer. Care must be taken in this regard.

Some of the changes appear to be beneficial, but require further clarity in order to properly be assessed.

Changes to an important Act such as the Environment Act, require careful scrutiny. They have far reaching effects and it will remain to be seen if their intention is beneficial.

Thanks again,

Terran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users