Plan To Reopen N.s. Mine In Gays River - Page 2 - Conservation - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Plan To Reopen N.s. Mine In Gays River

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

Hey Basindawg,

Got some sleep and the brains workin at peak efficiency. (Like TWO hamsters on a wheel, I am now)

In case the term stumps others, like it did me the other night ;) , Here's the Wikipedia description of Riparian Zone.

Maybe, this link should be sent to those in charge of approving many of these sites.

As for "Reptilean Manglement", don't get me started on that story again! :lol:

Take Care,

Terran B)

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#22 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:40 PM

Hey Basindawg,

Got some sleep and the brains workin at peak efficiency. (Like TWO hamsters on a wheel, I am now)

In case the term stumps others, like it did me the other night ;) , Here's the Wikipedia description of Riparian Zone.

Maybe, this link should be sent to those in charge of approving many of these sites.

As for "Reptilean Manglement", don't get me started on that story again! :lol:

Take Care,

Terran B)

Thanks for putting the link here Terran, I never even thought of that! :o I've been screaming about riparian management for years as well as watershed management, maybe someday the local brass will listen. <_<

#23 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for putting the link here Terran, I never even thought of that! :o I've been screaming about riparian management for years as well as watershed management, maybe someday the local brass will listen. <_<

Hey BDawg,

The local "Brass" puts on a good show for the press. I truly believe they don't understand the terms and truly don't care. How often do they claim Ennvironmental Assessment and then go ahead with a project that OBVIOUSLY is detrimental to the Environment?

It's seriously time to start pushing back. Highlighting their ineptitude and the damage it causes. The press loves a good "Bad" story.

If only they understood the long term effects of their short term, short sighted, decisions. :(

The General B)

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#24 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:16 AM

Hey BDawg,

The local "Brass" puts on a good show for the press. I truly believe they don't understand the terms and truly don't care. How often do they claim Ennvironmental Assessment and then go ahead with a project that OBVIOUSLY is detrimental to the Environment?

It's seriously time to start pushing back. Highlighting their ineptitude and the damage it causes. The press loves a good "Bad" story.

If only they understood the long term effects of their short term, short sighted, decisions. :(

The General B)

terran I've sat in on a few council meetings and most there had never heard of riparian or watershed management. sad.

#25 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

Just wait until they start trucking in Gold ores for `Heap Leach` processing from various spots on the Eastern Shore.

#26 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Just wait until they start trucking in Gold ores for `Heap Leach` processing from various spots on the Eastern Shore.

???? sorry rpen, I'm completley ignorant on that! enlighten please! :(

#27 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

There are many gold properties being developed along the Eastern Shore. With the price of Gold pushing $2000 a troy oz, I suspect they will be rushed into production. Gays River mill is a gravity separation mill and would be ideal for higher grade gold ore processing. There has been plans for this for quite some time. Most of the properties have such high grade zones but also have low grade zones that will be processed in a Heap Leach method. I also suspect there are plans to do this at the already established Gays River facility. You basically pile low grade ore on a pad with a liner and spray a cyanide solution on it. This leaches down through the ore dissolving the gold and other precious metals. It is a common low cost method in mining but has many environmental concerns. http://en.wikipedia....i/Heap_leaching

#28 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

There are many gold properties being developed along the Eastern Shore. With the price of Gold pushing $2000 a troy oz, I suspect they will be rushed into production. Gays River mill is a gravity separation mill and would be ideal for higher grade gold ore processing. There has been plans for this for quite some time. Most of the properties have such high grade zones but also have low grade zones that will be processed in a Heap Leach method. I also suspect there are plans to do this at the already established Gays River facility. You basically pile low grade ore on a pad with a liner and spray a cyanide solution on it. This leaches down through the ore dissolving the gold and other precious metals. It is a common low cost method in mining but has many environmental concerns. http://en.wikipedia....i/Heap_leaching

well by the blue eyed bald headed jumpin german geezus, how stupid can we get ? what next.

#29 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:22 PM

B-A-N-G!!!!

The noise you just heard was Terran's head exploding! :mellow:

(It just keeps getting worser and worser :( )

#30 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hey Gang,

Just an update on the Gays River issue. This article appeared in today's Chronicle Herald (10/8/11):

N.S. gives environmental OK allowing lead, zinc mine to reopen

By JOANN ALBERSTAT Business Reporter

The ScoZinc Inc. mine near Gays River, Colchester County, has received environmental approval from the province to reopen.

The Environment Department granted the permit to B.C. parent company Selwyn Resources Ltd. on Friday.

"The conditions that are in the approval are reasonable," Joe Ringwald, Selwyn’s vice-president of mining, said in an interview from Vancouver.

"We would have dealt with these issues anyhow."

The conditions include having programs at the lead and zinc operation to protect surface water, groundwater, wetlands and wildlife.

"Following a review of the information provided by ScoZinc Ltd. and the information provided during the government and public consultation of the environmental assessment, I am satisfied that any adverse effects or significant environmental effects of the undertaking can be adequately mitigated through compliance with the attached terms and conditions," Environment Minister Sterling Belliveau said in a letter to the company.

Ringwald said ScoZinc still needs an industrial permit from the department and plans to apply for one later this month. Friday’s environmental approval will also help the parent company finalize financing for the project, which includes raising US$30 million through a bond issue.

About 30 people are working at the site on cleanup and operational upgrades, with more hirings expected later this month and in November.

"We’ll certainly ramp it up very quickly. That is dependent on the industrial approval," Ringwald said.

The mine is expected to employ 120 people if it reopens in the spring.

Besides having months of mill refurbishment work ahead, the company is also preparing to test its pit dewatering system.

"We have alerted the government that we wish to test. Once that test is successful, then we will appeal for approval to begin the pit dewatering," Ringwald said.

Plans include expanding the open-pit mine, which hasn’t been in operation since 2009.

The company completed its $10-million acquisition of the mine on June 1 from Acadian Mining Group of Halifax.

Selwyn asked the province in August for environmental approval to restart the operation, which was previously known as Scotia Mine.

Selwyn stock was trading for 15.5 cents a share late Friday afternoon, down 1.5 cents from the previous day’s close.

( [email protected])

:( Here we go. Keep your fingers crossed.

Terran

#31 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

http://thechronicleh...ss/1268102.html

#32 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

Hey Rpen,

Guess your post about Gold Mines and ore was prophetic. Just in case the story disappears, I'm going to post a print version below. Thanks for the heads up.

Quebec miner takes full control of five Nova Scotia properties

Ressources Appalaches acquisitions include Dufferin mine

By REMO ZACCAGNA

A Quebec company’s quest for gold on the Eastern Shore will continue, despite the dissolution of an agreement it had with one of its partners.

Ressources Appalaches Inc. announced Wednesday that it had made a final $1.5-million property payment — for a total of $4 million overall — and acquired 100 per cent ownership in five Nova Scotia properties, including the historic Dufferin gold mine.

The announcement came on the heels of a decision by Strikepoint Gold Inc. of Calgary to back out of a $900,000 payment Monday as part of an option agreement it had entered into with Ressources Appalaches. The agreement would have allowed Strikepoint to retain a 50 per cent stake in the Dufferin mine.

"It’s unfortunate, but we managed to make the payment in its place," Alain Hupe, president of the Rimouski company, said while on his way to the mine, about 115 kilometres northeast of Halifax.

"So, for us, it was a positive outcome. . . . It wasn’t easy to find (the cash), given current market conditions, but we did it and are very happy to have 100 per cent control of the project."

Strikepoint had entered into a $5.1-million agreement with its Quebec partner in June 2010 that would give it a 55 per cent stake in five properties along the Eastern Shore, including ones at Chocolate Lake, Miller Lake, Ecum Secum, Dufferin North and Sheet Harbour.

Company CEO Richard Boulay said the decision to back out of the final payment was dictated by market conditions and the company will remain an indirect player in the project by virtue of its equity interest in Ressources Appalaches. Strikepoint has 10 million shares and 10 million share-purchase warrants. "The gold markets have been kind of choppy the last month or so and, basically, we have about $1.5 million in cash and we didn’t want to have to go to the market right away," Boulay said.

"And to spend $900,000 on that payment would have put us down in kind of a cash-raising mode, and we still had to spend $1.4 million to earn our interest. We figured that our funds probably would be better allocated for our shareholders elsewhere, given the fact that we could participate indirectly at no cost to us through our shares in Appalaches."

Appalaches doubled the extent of deposit at the Dufferin mine eastwards about 1.4 kilometres and to a depth of 400 metres. Drilling campaigns earlier this year have confirmed gold-bearing quartz veins toward the east.

Boulay said he remained enthusiastic about the mine’s potential.

"We really enjoyed our time there and I think it’s got great potential, so all the geological aspects are excellent. The downside is that it’s going to take a lot of money to develop, and one of the things that we looked at is that our allocations of our current funds are best spent elsewhere at this time."

Hupe said initial estimates have hinted at sizable deposits of gold, but he is waiting for an official estimate and report. "We’re expecting to possibly have more than one million ounces of gold."

The short-term exploration phase is expected to create at least a dozen jobs, with more than 30 jobs generated once full production and development work possibly begins in late 2012 or 2013, Hupe said.

"It’s preliminary, and I’m in the midst of looking at all this and revising the program because, like I said, we learned about this (Strikepoint decision) about two weeks ago," Hupe said.

Boulay didn’t rule out a more active role in the future.

"Who knows? At some point we might be back in to help the financing or something like that. It’s a great project and we like the guys who have it now."

( [email protected])

(Story taken from the Chronicle Herald, October 13, 2011)

Not only does the possibility exist for the ore to be processed at the Gays River mine's facilities, but what damage can be caused by the mining processes in the areas mentioned?

Economics beats out Environment every time. :(

Thanks again Rpen,

Terran

#33 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

I see that the financing fell through...

Financing deal terminated

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#34 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:23 AM

Hey Pmorris,

:D You just made my day! :D No, no...don't ruin it! Just let me enjoy it for a moment. :D :D :unsure:

Ah damn! I just ruined it for myself. <_< :( Just had a mental picture of the Provincial Government offering to lend them the money. :blink:

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Getting an Aspirin,

Terran

#35 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

Ah damn! I just ruined it for myself. Posted Image Posted Image Just had a mental picture of the Provincial Government offering to lend them the money. Posted Image

The 30 billion pound gorilla in the room is the ship contract. If NS wins the big chunk, will the goverment stop worrying about jobs or will it feel flush with cash to finance other projects?

Conversely, if we lose it, will they feel obliged to fund other projects, especially in light of the NewPage debacle?

Take some more Aspirin,
Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#36 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

The 30 billion pound gorilla in the room is the ship contract. If NS wins the big chunk, will the goverment stop worrying about jobs or will it feel flush with cash to finance other projects?

Conversely, if we lose it, will they feel obliged to fund other projects, especially in light of the NewPage debacle?

Take some more Aspirin,
Paul

Hey Paul,

Damned if we do... Damned if we don't?

Screw the Aspirin! It's five o'clock somewhere!

Terran

#37 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hello Anglers,

Here is an update on this topic. The company trying to reopen this mine are not giving up. They are in the process of trying a new stock offering to raise some capital to continue this project. Here is an article from the Chronicle Herald, dated January 12,2012, "Mine Project Gets New Financing Plan" : http://thechronicleh...-financing-plan

This project should concern anglers who not only fish the Gays River, but the Shubinacadie as well. In fact, it should concern anyone who would hate to see the environment put in a position where damage is probable. Take a look at the Google Maps link above, or seach the site on Google Maps yourself. This site leaves no room for error. The mine site is essentially "on" the river itself.

All should be concerned that this kind of project could be allowed to take place so close to any waterway.

Terran

#38 bob_marlo

bob_marlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Locationsj river

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Any update on this?

i was driving past the river the other day for the first time and thought it looked nice from the road so i took a walk down. A TON of garbage in there. bikes, tires, etc...... grabbed what i could with a bag but wish i had my truck with me or i woulda grabbed some of the bigger stuff too.

whats are the regs on this water? i didnt see anything in the book

is it open for fishing yet?

#39 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Hey Bob-Marlo,

Here is a couple links regarding this site.

Selwyn buys surface rights for ScoZinc Expansion : http://thechronicleh...ozinc-expansion

Selwyn Resources Ltd. (ScoZinc): http://www.selwynres...nc_overview.cfm - This site also contains links to the companies latest news.

Bob, this site poses, in my opinion, a serious threat to the Gays River, as well as waterways downstream including the Shubinacadie River. I have searched and was unable to find any Comphrehensive Study or Screening done by the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency.

This mines very close proximity to this waterway and the historic problems it has had with water control are of great concern. Yet Provincial Environment Approval was given. Based on what, I'm not sure.

As you stated, this area is strewn with garbage and there seems to be little concern.

To the best of my knowledge, the river is open. As it has no special regulations or restrictions, that I could find, standard regulations would apply regarding bag limits, gear type, bait, etc.

If you really want to be sure, contact DFO or PM Fishcop who is with DFO and would probably be happy to give some clarification.

Hope this helps.

Tight lines,

Terran

#40 bob_marlo

bob_marlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Locationsj river

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

thx for the heads up.....im pretty much 99% catch and release but for anybody else fishing the river and thinking of baggin somthing

http://www.gov.ns.ca...?id=20110831003

i wouldnt eat nothin from there

my thoughts exactly with concerns to the shubie and the stripers, im still somewhat new to the maritimes and its sad to learn this is pretty much the last place the stripers run, would be a serious travesty to see it ruined

driving farther up the road i was shocked to see the massive hole in the ground.......

"well the coal company came with the worlds largest shovel, and they wrote it all down as the progress of man" - John Prine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users