7 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Johnstone

Tony Johnstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

After many years of spin casting I have ventured into the unknown and started fly fishing !!

Can anyone point me in productive streams or rivers in HRM for trout ?

I have only been out several times to perfect my casting (now thats a laugh), so now I need to know where some "hotspots" are

Any suggestions ?

Tony

#2 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

There are many HRM rivers that you may fish. However there are few that you can fish without research. I would recommend ,hands down, the Sackville river. Easy access and there are fish. Suggest you read the Regs particular to each river prior to fishing, however.
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#3 Tony Johnstone

Tony Johnstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

There are many HRM rivers that you may fish. However there are few that you can fish without research. I would recommend ,hands down, the Sackville river. Easy access and there are fish. Suggest you read the Regs particular to each river prior to fishing, however.

Thanks- where about on the river is a good spot ?

#4 JSG949

JSG949

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:21 AM

Thanks- where about on the river is a good spot ?

I would recommend that you start at the lucasville road bridge and go downstream from there.

#5 raven4ns

raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

It seems when ever I look at the Sackville river it is always low. Is there enough cool water to hold any trout or can you only fish it in the spring and late fall? Thank you.

All the best

Tim

The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

https://www.flickr.c...s/[email protected]/

#6 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

It seems when ever I look at the Sackville river it is always low. Is there enough cool water to hold any trout or can you only fish it in the spring and late fall? Thank you.

The Sackville River system is a huge system. Well beyond what you see from the pavement. All I can suggest is that you get out and walk some of its territory. I posted earlier (another thread) that Marsh lake is also part of this system. Well beyond the beaten path in Bedford and Lower Sackville, which is only a very small portion of the system.
The river is home to Salmon, Trout, sadly Bass (IMO), as well as other species. It is a big and at parts deep cool system. Other then this all I can say is go explore.
Try Google earth and topo maps, they have much to say to those that are interested.
To rely on this site for in-depth info and folks exposing their "Honey" holes may be hoping for a miracle. A little leg work goes a long ways. I do not mean this in any way to sound rude, just attempting to input more data and give you more resourses to locate waters and expose their secrets.
There is so many great spots to fish, so close, just a little research, exercise and prep will place you in many a great spot, not only in HRM.
Enjoy and good luck.
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#7 raven4ns

raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

Good advise Guest and for many fisherman just the ticket. My kind of fishing is wading a small stream with either a 3wgt or 4wgt flyrod that has a nice gravel bottom and plenty of snags, holes and runs for trout to hold in. Obviously, these streams are not for every one and are not easily found. All of the streams around here tend to be treacherous walking or impossible to walk because of a mud bottom. I looked at the Sackville and thought this was my kind of stream but it was always too shallow and too warm. Perhaps at some point along it's course it does offer good wading and fishing but I never found it.

All the best

Tim

The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

https://www.flickr.c...s/[email protected]/

#8 Tony Johnstone

Tony Johnstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:04 PM

Thanks guys
I would not expect to find out too many secret hideaways, but at least this gives me some place to start

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users