25 replies to this topic

#1 troyman

troyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBedford ns

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

Wondering if there are plans for a pickerel derby sometime this year? If so when is it planned and in what lake? thanks

#2 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

Haven't heard of any open water events in hrm, CASA had an ice fishing one this past season on fishlake. From the pics you've been putting in the gallery you and the young fella would clean up

Cheers
Greg

Welcome to the site by the way

#3 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationWaverley, Nova Scotia

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

WELCOME!!
As far as I know, and,as Gregory said, CASA held one on Fish Lake during the winter. From all reports, a good time was had by all. There are plans (weather permitting, of course) to hold another one this year. Regards.....
Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

#4 troyman

troyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBedford ns

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

WELCOME!!
As far as I know, and,as Gregory said, CASA held one on Fish Lake during the winter. From all reports, a good time was had by all. There are plans (weather permitting, of course) to hold another one this year. Regards.....

Thanks for the welcome guys, We (my young fella and myself) have the pickerel bug as we normally were just trout chasers. But how can you not enjoy catching a 5 lbs river monster as my son calls them. How can an event be organized? Does it have to be sanctioned? Sure there are enogh "river monster" chasers to get one set up. Maybe Kinsac or Grand lake.

#5 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 910 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

How an an event be organized? Does it have to be sanctioned? Sure there are enogh "river monster" chasers to get one set up. Maybe Kinsac or Grand lake.

Yes it is supposed to be sanctioned and a permit must be aquired. Here is a link to the policys that must be followed...click here and here is a link for the application form.....click here

#6 Gregory

Gregory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

Check out the kayak demo day thread, there's gonna be a multi species Derby for paddlers

Cheers
Greg

#7 Beaver Banker

Beaver Banker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

I am looking at hosting a Pickerel derby Sept.10 at Kinsac Lake, just waiting to hear back from fisheries. If so it is going to be a fund raiser for "The Run For The Cure". Will get back with more info by the first of next week.

#8 troyman

troyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBedford ns

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

I am looking at hosting a Pickerel derby Sept.10 at Kinsac Lake, just waiting to hear back from fisheries. If so it is going to be a fund raiser for "The Run For The Cure". Will get back with more info by the first of next week.

that sounds great I am in and I have several that will go as well

#9 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationKinsac

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

that sounds great I am in and I have several that will go as well

I'd be in for that,I live on the lake...here is the beast I caught this morning

Posted Image
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me too!

#10 Beaver Banker

Beaver Banker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

The derby is a go! I got the ok from Fisheries and the registration site will be at Prichards beach at the end of Station Road, Kinsac. Boats can be hand launched there or at the end of Kinsac Lake by Fall River. The date is Saturday September 10,8:00 till 10am registration at the beach, $25 per team of two, a BBQ from 12 until 2 and registering of the fish at 6 pm. A 300 dollar BBQ for the longest Pickerel and a secondary prize for the most Pickerel per team. As per suggestion by Fisheries they would like to see the fish destroyed and disposed of properly. So if you are not adventurous and willing to try Pickerel you can leave them at the registration station. Looking forward to seeing a good turnout, and to a display of friendly competition. Any question feel free to give me a call Gary 902-830-5040

#11 fish76

fish76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

New to the site, and new to fishing around here really. My stepson told me about the derby and sounds good. We just got a 8 ft Bassraider and was wondering if it would be any good on Kinsac Lake. Never fished that lake or even seen it. Thanks

#12 Beaver Banker

Beaver Banker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

New to the site, and new to fishing around here really. My stepson told me about the derby and sounds good. We just got a 8 ft Bassraider and was wondering if it would be any good on Kinsac Lake. Never fished that lake or even seen it. Thanks

The lake is long and narrow safe for smaller boats staying close to the shores, lots of shelter from winds

#13 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

I was wondering if a 2 man team is required as I am fishing alone,, if so is there a reduced entry fee. I have a small boat ( 11 ft / 2.2 HP) and i will have room for 1 if someone wants to join me,, I have never fished this lake before so it would be great to get a partner that has fished here..
Thanks

#14 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 910 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

I was wondering if a 2 man team is required as I am fishing alone,, if so is there a reduced entry fee. I have a small boat ( 11 ft / 2.2 HP) and i will have room for 1 if someone wants to join me,, I have never fished this lake before so it would be great to get a partner that has fished here..
Thanks

Hey fitzs, I would fish this derby with you if I didnt have a smallmouth tournament the next day on Morris Lake. I used to fish kinsac back when I had a canoe. Lots of decent size fish there. The launch isn't good enough for my 20 ft bass boat. I miss fishing that body of water. Send me an email if you want some pointers on where to get those slimy pickerel. ;)

#15 Beaver Banker

Beaver Banker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

Thanks

Sure no problem, the entry fee would be $15 any other question feel free to give a call 830-5040

#16 stompin_boots

stompin_boots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

Thanks

Fitz, i have never fished the lake either, but i certainly wouldnt mind fishing all day. wouldnt mind joining ya if you havent found a partner yet

#17 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationKinsac

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

out on Kinsac tonight and two other boaters mentioned the tourney to me.I'll be fishing alone as well. should be a great time!
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

#18 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationKinsac

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

what if there is a tie for first?

#19 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationKinsac

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

what if there is a tie for first?

Is this still a go??

#20 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

How did the derby go today? How many boats? Any huge fish caught? etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users