• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jawk1

jawk1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:29 PM

Just moved to the Timberlea area and was wondering if anyone out there has fished Governors lake and had any luck in the area for trout , or is it worth trying

One more question has any fished outer lake area by the waste management facility

Just looking for somewhere close to the timberlea area o fish either on shore or in a jon boat.

Thanks for any and all responses>

Jason

#2 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:33 AM

Governors lake is stocked with speckle trout each year. A lot of ppl fish from the shore by the post office in lakeside.

#3 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:41 AM

Forgot to mention in my first reply, otter lake has some trout and yellow perch in it. You can park on the 103 by the gate at greenhead road and walk in. About 10 min walk and you will come to some areas that will allow you to fish from the shore.

#4 ouird

ouird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationProspect Bay

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:53 AM

Governors lake is stocked with speckle trout each year. A lot of ppl fish from the shore by the post office in lakeside.

would you be able to launch a Kayak or Canoe from there?

Dress to Swim, Rig to Flip
http://canadiankayakanglers.com/
Blog:
http://yak4fish.com/
Facebook page
https://www.facebook...sonKayakFishing
Twitter
@JohnGibson76

#5 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

would you be able to launch a Kayak or Canoe from there?

Yes very easily done. Park at the post office and only have to carry about 50ft.

#6 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:10 AM

Just moved to the Timberlea area and was wondering if anyone out there has fished Governors lake and had any luck in the area for trout , or is it worth trying

One more question has any fished outer lake area by the waste management facility

Just looking for somewhere close to the timberlea area o fish either on shore or in a jon boat.

Thanks for any and all responses>

Jason

Another good lake in the area with stocked trout is Lewis Lake. Go to the Jerry Lawrence Provinical Park and they have docks built for people to fish from.

#7 jawk1

jawk1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info I will be heading out to governors lake tonight with the jon boat to give it a try going to pickup a portable fish finder and try my luck thanks again for all the info

Jason

#8 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info I will be heading out to governors lake tonight with the jon boat to give it a try going to pickup a portable fish finder and try my luck thanks again for all the info

Jason

tight lines to ya. :)

#9 Im So FLY

Im So FLY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

I have fished this lake steady for the past 4-5 years and have not got one hit from a trout, on the other hand the lake is loaded with bass now including some decent sizes.

#10 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

I have fished this lake steady for the past 4-5 years and have not got one hit from a trout, on the other hand the lake is loaded with bass now including some decent sizes.

I have heard from a few people that the lake has lots of bass. I only fished it a few times years ago and caught some stocked trout. I know they do stock it with specks each year. When you say "decent size" how big are you talking?

#11 Im So FLY

Im So FLY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

From my understanding they are new to the area, nothing huge but i have pulled a few 12 - 14 inches out.. not huge but defintly worth the fun :blink:

#12 troutman

troutman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Tried today, no luck. There was nobody else there so I assume it has not been stocked yet.

#13 VanW27

VanW27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Tried today, no luck. There was nobody else there so I assume it has not been stocked yet.

According to the Government site it was stocked on April 18th.

#14 FlounderPounder

FlounderPounder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

I grew up in Timberlea and use to fish Governors Lake regularly. This was 40 years ago and we used to catch brook trout, eels, and yellow perch from the shore. This lake is connected to the 9 mile river and the gaspereau also used to run up the river into the lake to spawn. I remember catching some huge eels in the lake by using a perch head and leaving it on the bottom. Governors used to have a lot of fish species in it but my understanding is that they shocked the lake many years ago and pretty much killed all the indigenous species off. That combined with the run off of all the new developments has seriously impacted the lake. You can notice the color of the water has changed drastically over the past few years. They have been stocking the lake over the past few years but if there is bass in the lake now that will negatively impact the trout poulation. We used to go off the rocks behind the post office in Lakeside, or right at the mouth of where the river exits the lake by the church. You can also go along the trail where the rocks drop off and there is a deep ledge there that used to hold fish.

Cheers!

#15 Redman3000

Redman3000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:48 PM

I was out at this lake on Sunday morning and it seems a lot of dumping has been going on behind the post office. I saw pipes, tire rims, and what appeared to be a dishwasher door in the water. What a shame, this was an easily accessable spot on a beautiful lake. Didn't see a single fish.

#16 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

Yeah the water quality at this lake  has definitely suffered, there was a point last year when the fish just seemed to dissappear, and the water color/clarity changed pretty dramatically. Unfortunate, as you said it used to be a nice, easy to access spot 

I keep reading about this lake being stocked with trout... yet I have never seen, or heard, of someone catching a trout there in past few years. I've spoken to locals and they don't seem to think there are trout there either... are you sure it is actually stocked? I know when you look up the "spring stock list" for 2012 it shows Governor lake 67X3, but it has not actually appeared on the website which shows the weekly stocking update :S

#17 Redman3000

Redman3000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:07 PM

I've now fished there 4-5 times since it's close and I've not had a single bite. I've seen fish jumping and rolling but I haven't seen a single one even follow my line. I think Sunday was the last time I try my luck there. Know of any other decent spots close by?

#18 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:31 PM

Jerry Lawrence Park (Lewis & Round Lake) are stocked and a bit up the bay road from there if you're looking for stocked trout (has wheelchair access). Fraser Lake is also up the road (close) and has some decent smallmouth, I know protecteur has had luck there, though you'll probably need a boat. 

#19 protecteur

protecteur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationUpper Tantallon

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

Fraser no longer has lake access but HRM is building a new access next year. They just aquired a few acres of water frontage for park land. You can access Fraser by bushwaking through the park land but can't go with boat!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users