• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

One of my fav summer flylines is a Cortland Tropic Bonefish line as it doesn't get soft and wimpy in the summers heat. During the Fly Fishing Tourny my Bonefish line got chewed up in the trolling motor. Wonderful time but to be fair I didn't swear! I sent for a replacement and I received a Cortland PE+Crystal tropic fly line. The line is gin clear and looks like mono but it is composed of a blend of polyethylene and advanced co-polymers. The jacket is attached to a non-strech mono core. I have no idea what that all means but I spooled it up and gave it a try.
The line dissapears on the water and it is a floating line one assumes it is floating and it is as dry fly pick up is straight off the water. I fished it on a river and that showed to me how much my mends depended upon seeing the line in the water. That will take some getting used to. It casts like a rocket and shoots a line out with ease. Spooky!
I fished my other Tropical line right into fall salmon season but I think this line will coil once the temp drops, will let you know. The hype says it will revolutionize fly lines and that remains to be seen but for now I am pleased!

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#2 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

Hey Perry,

I almost ordered the PE+ Crystal this spring. As you mentioned, my concern was the gin clear line. I do a lot of nymph fishing (no indicators) and I worried I couldn't see the subtle strikes. Always leary of new lines until I get some input from others who have used it.

I look forward to hearing more about this line as you gain experience with it. Please keep us updated with any opinions you may have regarding the lines tendencies.

Goods Luck and Tight Lines,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#3 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the report Perry...don't know if I could get used to a clear flyline ...I like to see my line on the water :blink:

#4 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:59 AM

Perry,

This sounds like just the ticket for fishing gin-clear stillwater with dries. We had exchanged comments about the pic I posted from my trip to Alberta when I found myself in just that situation. I was spooking the brookies with my fly line, and only had success with two tactics:
  • Cast to where the fish weren't and hope that one would cruise to the area. This only worked a few times as, although the fish were rising regularly, they weren't moving much laterally.
  • Wait for a breeze to create ripples on the water and cast to where I knew a fish was.
Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#5 marsh

marsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationUpper Stewiacke

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

One of my fav summer flylines is a Cortland Tropic Bonefish line as it doesn't get soft and wimpy in the summers heat. During the Fly Fishing Tourny my Bonefish line got chewed up in the trolling motor. Wonderful time but to be fair I didn't swear! I sent for a replacement and I received a Cortland PE+Crystal tropic fly line. The line is gin clear and looks like mono but it is composed of a blend of polyethylene and advanced co-polymers. The jacket is attached to a non-strech mono core. I have no idea what that all means but I spooled it up and gave it a try.
The line dissapears on the water and it is a floating line one assumes it is floating and it is as dry fly pick up is straight off the water. I fished it on a river and that showed to me how much my mends depended upon seeing the line in the water. That will take some getting used to. It casts like a rocket and shoots a line out with ease. Spooky!
I fished my other Tropical line right into fall salmon season but I think this line will coil once the temp drops, will let you know. The hype says it will revolutionize fly lines and that remains to be seen but for now I am pleased!

"The jacket is attached to a non-strech mono core. I have no idea what that all means but I spooled it up and gave it a try."

The best way I can put this is.. have you ever tied a nail knot from your leader to you fly line and pulled really tight and if you look real careful you can see the coating of you fly line coming apart from the braided stuff is underneath. This is almost glued to the braided stuff underneath its not supposed to come a part. Its like the wildfire line that guys are using for bass fishing.(kinda but for the fly fisher)
I have some here I do like it but it is supposed to be for 70 degree water or warmer. I had some trouble early but seems to work fine for now but I think the memory is going to kick back in as soon as it gets cold.
I just want to say too I think you guys can get better line for your money then this one but its up to you.
The line is good but I think our springs are to cold for it, at least I think so.

#6 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

That's interesting Perry. Ty and I fished a spring brook yesterday and that line may have come in handy. The water was gin clear and fish were laying in less than 2' so they were spooky. We did well but after awhile we spooked the pool and had to rest it about a half an hour.
Stop Aquatic Invasives! Spread the word, not the species.

#7 pmorris

pmorris

Levity Consultant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

That's interesting Perry. Ty and I fished a spring brook yesterday and that line may have come in handy. The water was gin clear and fish were laying in less than 2' so they were spooky. We did well but after awhile we spooked the pool and had to rest it about a half an hour.

I checked their website and it's only available in 7 weight and higher and only in the "tropical" formulation.Posted Image

Of interest was the fact that it's also impervious to DEET.

Paul

I started reading a book about anti-gravity and I just couldn't put it down.

#8 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

I believe it would be great for those conditions of clear water spooky fish. When I think of the water and air temps in NS I believe out of the fishing time available to fly fish a large percentage of my time on the water would qualtify as Tropical! lol I also use tropical lines all season and they cast well. This one I believe will not cast well early and late as Marsh has pointed out in his post based on his experiance.
Terran, as far as fishing a nympth without an indicator, naw!!! A yarn indicator would work if you dont like the bobber effect! :D
So far I like the line and the loops it cast are great. I do use a line weight up on fast rods so in this case I am useing a 9 wt on 8 wt rod so Paul if it works for you you could use the 7 wt on a 6 wt. Anyway the jury is still out until Oct. Bring on the DEET!!!

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#9 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Field Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

Here is another clear line that from what I have read is supposed to stay supple in cold water.

My link
Stop Aquatic Invasives! Spread the word, not the species.

#10 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:18 AM

I seen the Ridge Clear this summer in NB Brock Curtis in Blackville sells it.

#11 marsh

marsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:48 PM

I have some Ridge Clear on the way I will let you guys know what I think of it soon.

#12 marsh

marsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

The Ridge Clear line is not bad it might mot have some of the benefits that Cortland has but it almost come of the spool straight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users