#1 AndrewWaite

AndrewWaite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

Coming home from the beach today I drove by Mill Lake in Hubbards and I've often wondered about fishing potential there. Don't know anything about it so if anyone has fished there please let me know if you caught anything and what species.

#2 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:09 PM

i never fished it before. but when i was in high school , i went to school with lots of people who had.it sticks out in my head because it was a good early season trout fishery.the lake is deceptively quite large actually.i don't know what species is all in there. but i remember how early people talked about catching trout out of it!it's a very short run to the ocean , so it may hold some real gems!

#3 AndrewWaite

AndrewWaite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

I should give it a try. Thanks a lot for your reply! It'd be great to hook into a nice Steelhead or something in there!

#4 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

i ..don't know about a steelhead....but a sea run brookie could easily be in the books!look on the map , it's quite large. there is also a launch on it. if memory recalls me correctly.take the hubbards exit , turn right[away from hubbards].then follow that road. i think it leads straight to it, but i'm going back in the memory bank about 15 odd years here so......

#5 darren

darren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSeabright NS

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

Ah, Mill lake. I spent many springs fishing there as a boy with my father. We used to rent a row boat at the marina, for 5 dollars,
and my father would row out to the rocky island separating the two parts of the lake and we would fish with bobber and worm all day. I can remember taking home some very nice trout. Later, he bought his own boat and a small 4hp motor and we used to troll all day long with spinners and worms and do very well. Those were the days when the limit was 10 fish per person, but we usually took home 10-12 a trip between the two of us. I can remember using super-dupers and kamlooper spoons, and once in a while I would out-fish the old man and his night crawlers.
If you want to try the lake, early spring is best, with the action peaking at the same time as the blackflies. There are some very big trout in that lake, my best was 3lbs, with many around 2. Trolling is very effective, the lake has smelt and gaspereau, so small spoons work very well. On calm mornings you can cast flies around the shoals and drop-offs for cruising fish. There used to be a very good mayfly hatch there but now only a few small hatches remain.
The lake is well marked for rocks and reefs, the local cottage owners see to that every year. The launch is just a gravel beach next to the docks but fine for even the local speed boats. Take care on windy days, the lake can get very rough in a hurry. You may not catch fish like I once did, the lake has change since my childhood, but there are still some good trout there. As I grew up more of the trout I hooked were released, much to my father's disdain, but he always had a few for supper. Here's hoping your memories of that lake will be as fond as mine, and don't forget the bug dope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users