#1 caff3in3

caff3in3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Hi all,

I am just looking for some general info on where to catch some decent numbers of white perch. Not looking for anybodys honey hole, just the name of a decent lake for them.

Thanks for any assistance,

Chris

#2 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

where are you at? Allen's lake yarmouth co or Springfeild lake 0n the #10 near middleton are good spots
please practice a sustainable harvest

#3 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

Hi Chris
There are not many lakes in Nova Scotia without good populations of White Perch. Catching them may be another matter! As they are not heavily fished and are mostly a bycatch and released at any rate the population many be a bit stunted but I find lakes where there are Bass, Pickerel or large Trout you will often catch big ones.
Good fishing
Paul

#4 prosser

prosser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

i to would like to catch some big white perch.. hooked my first one last year on sucker on the fly rod an it was a blast but only about 8 inches long..

#5 J. B.

J. B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

They offer great sport on ultra-light, micro-light, and fly gear. If you have a boat you can look for schools in the evening. They often come to the surface to feed towards evening, so you can find them on calm summers evenings by looking for fish feeding at the surface.
Truth is the first casualty of a good story

#6 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

i to would like to catch some big white perch.. hooked my first one last year on sucker on the fly rod an it was a blast but only about 8 inches long..

Hi Prosser
Lilydale Lake just out of Lunenburg has some really nice white perch. We used to fish for them just before dark. You need a warm evening because its near the ocean and sometimes a sea breeze will keep things cool enough there will be no hatches on but hit it right and you'll get some good ones.
July and August are best.
Good fishing
Paul

#7 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

There are so many lakes all around the Province. Depending on where you live you could hit the Annapolis Valley... Little River Lake, Dean Chapter etc... all have solid populations of white perch.. There are many down Yarmouth way sorry I can't recall the names but I am sure there are others on here who have them available. In the Weymouth area many lakes off of the 340 have good White perch as well.. Partridge Island, Porcupine etc... pretty sure the OPP lakes also have white perch populations worth going after. Good luck with it and let us know where ya go and how you make out.

#8 Flowers

Flowers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLower Sackville

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

If you are in and around HRM most lakes carry good populations of whites. My favorite lake by far for good size is big indian lake off the 103, mersey road. Little Indain Lake is off the same road and is good fishing as well. Let us know how you make out.
trout are not smarter than other species of fish, nor do they have the sharp visual acuity for which many give them credit. “Trout fishermen have invented those beliefs over the years, simply because we needed an excuse for why we couldn’t catch them as easily as we could other species. The biggest trout are not the smartest trout. They’re simply the most frightened, which is why they’re so difficult to catch. And human eyesight is actually about 14 times stronger than that of a trout.”

-GOT THIS BOAT FOR MY WIFE-......GREAT TRADE!

#9 cantstandit

cantstandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

If you are in and around HRM most lakes carry good populations of whites. My favorite lake by far for good size is big indian lake off the 103, mersey road. Little Indain Lake is off the same road and is good fishing as well. Let us know how you make out.

#10 cantstandit

cantstandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

if trout are not smarter than any other why do they take every fly except one that doesnt float proper or doesnt look quite right

#11 Nontypical

Nontypical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

Topic here is white perch.....Okay?

#12 Nontypical

Nontypical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

Tony, my experience with these great fish has mostly been in the last couple of hours of daylight...We find schools of them surface feeding and have had good success chucking small grubs on light jigheads at them...Have managed to find some decent smallies bringing up the rear behind schools of whites...Hope to hook into a lot more whites this year...Awesome on the ultralight!!!...

#13 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

Headin out with the float tubes tonight targeting jumbo white perch.... will be carring a fly rod and an ultra light spinning likely with a micro grub on the end.

#14 J. B.

J. B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

Headin out with the float tubes tonight targeting jumbo white perch.... will be carring a fly rod and an ultra light spinning likely with a micro grub on the end.

If you don't mind, could you let us know how it went?

Thanks,
J.B.
Truth is the first casualty of a good story

#15 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:59 PM

We had a great evening with several larges white in the 15 -16 inch range and many 12 inchers...great fun on ultra lights and fly gear... no real monsters but svereal pusing 1.5 to 2 lbs.

#16 Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

Do u guys troll for white perch?..or mostly castin n lettin it go to bottom??..wuts preferred bait n can u get em on the fly?

I have caught them trolling #0 and #1 Mepps inline spinners (Silver Aglia), so they can be definitely be enticed that way. Trolling can be an effective way to find the schools in the absence of other signs.

#17 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

Remember for the most part that this species likes a downsized bait if you are using spinning gear. Micro grubs, small inlines and even small #3 to #5 Rapalas will land them.

#18 cantstandit

cantstandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

Topic here is white perch.....Okay?

#19 cantstandit

cantstandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

ill decide okay

#20 Nontypical

Nontypical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

Nope, not really okay..You've been on here long enough to know how the site works...If you don't like the topic, at least read it, but let those who want to read positive input do so without the hijacks, please...Thanking you in advance for your co-operation...cheers and tight lines...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users