#1 Fishin fool

Fishin fool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Locationin hot water (N.S.)

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

I drove past a river on my way to Chester a couple weeks ago and would like to learn about it. It cuts across the 103 at km marker 265. Runs from Snake Lake to River Lake and eventualy dumps into St.Margrets Bay. It looked so fishy from the highway that my fly rod started to shake.
Can anyone tell me it's name? Possibly The Ingram River? When and if there are runs of sea or browns?Local populations of brookies?
On Google Earth I see a dirt road just to the west that runs north to another section of the river that looks great. Is this road passable? Also any info on the Gold river to the west. Accessability,good locations?
Thanks,
Fish on!!
David M
Dartmouth, N.S.

#2 Fishin fool

Fishin fool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Locationin hot water (N.S.)

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

Hey ya'll
104 views 0 replies. Did I imagine the river or is it that good that no one will chime in?
Fish on????
David M
Dartmouth, N.S.

#3 Luciano

Luciano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

Shhhhh... Best kept secret... If it's the river just before hubbards I think that river is closed for the year. It is a nice river.

#4 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

Scheduled I believe, it should mention it in the book.

#5 SerroulJM

SerroulJM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

From the guide:

"Ingram River, from a point 23 m downstream from the Highway 3 bridge
to a point 23 m upstream from that bridge,including tributaries. CLOSED ALL YEAR"

That means up around the 103, it's okay, right? Just a small section closed?
I'm not being sarcastic, I'm having a hard time de-ciphering it today and if I go up to play, I don't wanna get in trouble :)

#6 mikelarocque

mikelarocque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSt. Margarets Bay Road, Ingramport, Noca Scotia

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hey guys, I live a stones throw from the ingramport Rails to Trails bridge that passes over this river, surprisingly, I have just started fishing this river last year. My understanfding is that anything from the Rails to Trails bridge up is fair game as the regulations state 23m from the Highway 3 Bridge (St. Margarets Bay Road)

No doubt this is my preffered place to fish as I can fish it any time I like living so close. A couple questions I have regarding the lower river,

Sea Trout Run? All I hear when bumping into guys is this famous Sea Trout Run. My memory lasts no more than 5 minutes so I always forget what they tell me. When is this? I am assuming late July?

Steelhead? In this river? Really? Rumor maybe?

If anyone wants a fishing buddy here on the fly, ring in! I can provide parking if you provide the spots and insight!
Mike Larocque
Sales and Finance Manager

Schooner Cove Marine

7208 St. Margarets Bay Road
Boutiliers Point, NS
B3Z 1W1

mike@schoonercovemarine.com
www.schoonercovemarine.com

Striper Boats l Triumph Boats l Rampage Yachts l Cruisers Yachts l Cruisers Sport Series l Evinrude BRP l Volvo Penta l Raymarine l Shimano

#7 trout snout

trout snout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Locationhalifax

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

some native trout in there and a strawberry run of specks, that river is hit pretty hard all year ,its a nice wading river when the water is low and usually a few fish right after and during a good rain also watch for stone fly hatches and the may fly
hope this helps

cheers and tight lines

#8 grasshopper1917

grasshopper1917

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Usually people are fishing this stream like crazy all summer. I found a few years ago it was fairly decent fishing but it is fished so heavy I found the past couple years have been pretty slim pickings. There are logging roads that run right through there -- they are passable in a truck if the gate is open but thats 50/50. Like most spots that are accessible by road though the trout population is under pressure but there are a few there. Hope that helped.

#9 chaseforen777

chaseforen777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Fished there tonight for a few hours. Not even a nibble! Go figure!

#10 grasshopper1917

grasshopper1917

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

Yea chase I was out there on Wednesday and fished the entire river from Snake Lake to the bridge. I only got one small trout and that was the only bit the whole day. The water is still pretty high yet, may be a bit better when the levels drop.

#11 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

i grew up and learned how to fly fish on the ingram. last time i fished it was 4 years ago and the fishing wasnt good at all. i was surprised at catching a few parr which means there is still somewhat of a run in the river. useto be a GREAT river with a decent run of salmon and sea trout as well as large resident trout. im also sure the netting done by a certain imbred backwoods character didnt help it any. can still remember my first ever salmon caught on a mickey finn i tied at river lake 20 years ago.

#12 fysher

fysher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

I have fished this river quite a few times.10 years ago I would catch 3-4 fish in the 10-11' range not far off the highway, last couple years I was lucky to get a nibble and they seem to be getting smaller. There seems to be more and more people fishing it over the past 5 years, almost always someone parked there fishing. Just my experience but haven't bothered stopping there this year.

#13 mikelarocque

mikelarocque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSt. Margarets Bay Road, Ingramport, Noca Scotia

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

This is sad hearing about the overfishing and numbers. I am a catch and release fisherman only! I buy my fish from thoes who do it for a living. I assume this river needs to be catch and release only.

Mike Larocque
Sales and Finance Manager

Schooner Cove Marine

7208 St. Margarets Bay Road
Boutiliers Point, NS
B3Z 1W1

mike@schoonercovemarine.com
www.schoonercovemarine.com

Striper Boats l Triumph Boats l Rampage Yachts l Cruisers Yachts l Cruisers Sport Series l Evinrude BRP l Volvo Penta l Raymarine l Shimano

#14 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Unfortunately like most of us know, if it's easy to get there it's going to be fished often.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#15 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

The one time I was there, which was probably a month ago I only caught a tiny brook trout. Every time I go by there on weekends or evenings there's always a few cars parked on the side of the highway.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users