3 replies to this topic

#1 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

Hey guys, I'm going to try to make some plastic baits but I'm having a hard time finding plastic to use. Does anyone know where I can get some Plastisol? I have some old baits that I'm going to melt down, but I'd like to find some plastisol or another material so I can color them to whatever I desire... rather than some creamy brown crap color (which might just work, lol).

Any help you can offer is appreciated!

Crock
Just crank it.

#2 lfralic1

lfralic1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

i was actually going to get into making my own plastics myself here are some sites you can get some at. These sites also have awsome colors, moulds, glitters, etc
-Lurecraft
-Bears Baits
-Janns Netcraft
Hope this helps. Happy Fishing :)

#3 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hey guys, I'm going to try to make some plastic baits but I'm having a hard time finding plastic to use. Does anyone know where I can get some Plastisol? I have some old baits that I'm going to melt down, but I'd like to find some plastisol or another material so I can color them to whatever I desire... rather than some creamy brown crap color (which might just work, lol).

Crock

Hi Crock,

Plastisol is the ink used in Silk Screening. There are a number of products including the original (which needs to be cured in an oven), MP or Multi-Purpose (some of which air dry) and water based (which will air cure). I think you could use a MP or original. Here is a link to Wikipedia explainig Plastisol.

You can order Plastisol online for lure making and silk screening suppliers locally carry the Plastisols in many wonderful colours. Here's a Yellow page link to help:Screen Printing Suppliers.

I believe you could use Screen Printing Plastisol Inks to make soft plastic lures. Again, it must be cured in an oven and I would suggest a Convection Oven (if available).

Talk to the suppliers and see what they think. But, don't be discouraged if they don't think it will work. They just haven't tried it. Don't spend a fortune, but I would certainly buy a small quantity to experiment.

Hope this is helpful and let us know how it goes if you give it a shot.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#4 Guest_stevekandrews_*

Guest_stevekandrews_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Crock

Did you ever end up making some plastics? If so I would be interested to hear how they turned out.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users