#1 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:33 PM

Started the Shad darts today , poured the first 250 plus trimmed out 50%, Sold 90% of my inventory last spring plus the ones I fish with from my personalized kit.Last fish in June 1 guy dropped a $100 bill and said pick out them for him. :D Not surprised he did the same thing 2 years ago,

#2 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:30 PM

Finished the 2 coats of white primer baked on for 24h each coat. :D Checked the log from last year tonight High on the list to make the black white, the beast, cherry bombs, pink lady, green thing and think pink :ph34r: .Will start on colors this week.Great time to work on a hobby during the freezing rain.

#3 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:05 PM

All the colors are done and tying the tails know, New one to try this year Blondie plus all the true and tried combos. 2 months to go :D Will be staying down in Middleton this year for the extra long weekend, Also you can buy a lic online now on the inland fishing website.

#4 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:11 PM

Well worked on the tails today,then suddenly all I had left was pink plushy and I was done. I'll let them try ,then a long run of clear coat x 2

#5 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:57 PM

Quite a day spent 4hrs trying to apply online for Canada Pension their system is not working,phoned in1.5h wait, got tired of trying and clear coat dipped 4/5 of the darts, tried again tonight before this post success 5 min and done. Will due  2 clear coat dips. Only other project is to make my specials for myself this year. Ordered my jims power heads , their not cheap any more either. when you add on the shipping a taxes.For anyone who want  [email protected] talk to Richard Bond owner

#6 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:57 PM

Finished the first clear coat on all the darts plus made up specials :ph34r:  One more clear coat and its take apart all my fishing reels and lube.up.. Any others out there working on their darts or shad flies?  Mine are getting made up by a friend. 

#7 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:23 PM

Finally done the last 90 were second coated today.i'll bake them all for 48hr 115 degrees the 8hrs in the sun UV dries all the resins in the clear coat..

#8 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 13 March 2021 - 07:23 PM

All the darts are done,put away.This week the reels and rods. 7 weeks to Shad time.

#9 donovanchinook

donovanchinook

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBeaver Bank

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:44 AM

Firstly, thank you for all of your posts about shad fishing, you have been a great help. Fishing for my whole life and grew up eating shad but never thought of fishing for them. Tried it last year and now we are hooked. 

Question for you, you have talked about the shad cam. I can't seem to find it online, is there a link or address you could share for finding it. 

Thanks again

Mark

#10 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 14 March 2021 - 06:42 PM

Go General Shad form  2013 Shad cam . I went to the site mentioned and put it on my favorites. My daughters use to watch it with me during the night runs, and enjoyed seeing the other water creatures.. Ps which location did you fish the shad. Mark.

#11 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 15 March 2021 - 05:43 PM

The online Fishing Lic. are available at the sports fishing page Inland Fisheries.. Tried it out today and in one minute after paying it was sent to my email. Printed it and folded ,put in watertight snack bag, Then into my fishing glasses case. Sent last year report in, so no problem online next year. 16 sleeps till 2021 new season. Last year I got to fish in March before the April shutdown 2020.

#12 donovanchinook

donovanchinook

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBeaver Bank

Posted 15 March 2021 - 08:24 PM

SJ, I fish shad down in the Middleton area.  A friend of mine suggested it last year for a day trip due to a mutual friend of ours is from the area and has been fishing them since he was a kid. Our friend came along to guided us, we had a slow day but I seen the potential of the fishery. I picked his brain and the rest is history. I fly fish for them, taking suggested local patterns and fancying them up a bit. Spent some solid time on the water and got the fishery at least in that area dialled in pretty good. Needless to say, I'm hooked now as they are such a blast and great fighters. Currently spinning up a bunch more flies as we speak to be ready for the run. Hope to see you other this year. Thanks again for the info and knowledge. 

#13 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:04 AM

Myself on occasion pick up a fly rod, the last time was 3 years ago on the long weekend one evening after a 85 fish afternoon I packed it in a 7:00pm . A good friend and mentor Ted showed up with his 11ft salmon rod loaded with his magic fly and to stand back to the river :)  He wanted to go from the point up the Nixtau to chat with his son Joe . As soon ads he walked away I had that fly across the Nixtau and stripped the sinking line off till out past the point dropped the tip and set the hook fish on, landed 11 before he returned, what a blast.Was a poison fly.I tandem fish a tiny dart and fly on top,18 in away. Very successful  game and you can tell there on the fly. I keep a fly kit in my fanny.Some of those poison things :D Yes there was a few slow days last year I was down 3 times a week I always were a white hat and a black fanny pack camo pack and waders and white bucket for rods. I be the one having fun up there at the point. Ps read some of the stories from 2020 posts :D .

#14 ScottishFlyman

ScottishFlyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 05:08 PM

SJ, thanks for the tip about getting a online licence.  Very handy.  All set for the new season.  Hope to see you down in Middleton when the shad arrive  :D

#15 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:48 PM

1 month and and half till Shad time ,6 weeks later there gone. Will be down from the 8 of May.

#16 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 23 March 2021 - 11:43 AM

I know this is not about Shad fishing, but here it is The Beaverpond here in Hants Co, Is open from the white house to the boat launch to middle. Expect it to all blow out today. This lake is open year around. If you got that fishing itch to be scratched :D here's the spot to wet a line. Its suppose to be 17 on Thru Will be out that evening.

#17 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 24 March 2021 - 08:56 PM

The weather report changed for Thru so I went today the whole pond is open. Fishing was slow 10 landed  with as many on.Dozens of fish laying right at the waters edge catching White Millers.(Moths). Caught three on top water, all over 16in.

#18 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:42 PM

Days our getting Longer ,Warming up slowly  and Shad time is coming. today i ran into a fellow fisher today who remembers me from last year in Middleton 2nd week of June . I was fishing with two young lads who had found the fish called me up to fish with them. Had a school of 400 hundred in a spawning Shad holding under a big oak. the would swim out and we would cast in a line and hook up. Then walk down river to take it off and released. This guy heard the  laughing and came up the Nixtau to investigate. We asked him to join in.Ps we had kept this spot private that day and this Shad fest had started in the am and this was early pm.The Question he ask me today how do you keep doing this kind of fishery at your age My arms are full of tendinitis. My answer never stop to you drop, keep active and do some hard work.Ie cutting and hauling out hardwood logs last week. Cut them up when I got home. Yes I was sore but  the next day I walked to the food plots and did work. Yes seeing the surgeon in April for surgery on left shoulder, torn rotator but I still can cast and reel in and set the hock with a full size rod such as las :) t week for hours.We are planning to stay down this year on the Long Weekend. Room is booked.Food is being stowed away for the trip.Eat real good, Sleep and Shad fish. :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

#19 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:58 PM

Tomorrow The first of April and its going to rain for the next 5 days, :D  30 more sleeps till Shad time, hope there is good amounts of rain in May.Going to Check Shad cam tonight :)

#20 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:58 AM

Been on the Shad Cam site, still not up yet :blink:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: All things Shad fishing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users