#21 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:32 PM

Looking at the weather forecast, rain Thru but sun and showers Fri, Will be heading down then, Friend emailed me today and was fishing yesterday by the park. No luck! Never had much luck their ever. When the river fills with shad it gets good off the dock though. 

#22 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:01 PM

Well yesterday was a day of mixed weather and cold. The am was slow fishing,but to my surprise it started with quality fish, 3.5 to 4.5 lbers . only 9 in the am with more than normal amount of people. Had a bbq with a friend Darcy who landed 5 on fly rod in the am. Headed back up to high winds in the PM. manage to land 25 or more in the am lost count having fun with another crowd of fishers whom all knew me from past years. point a fellow fisher went to his truck to get a jacket and reported we were being watched by DNR. The was 8 of us on the point 6 to 8ft apart we all caught fish till 5pm and it went quite. Went to my kit pulled out the go to dart the Pink Lady First , :Dcast and it was non stop till 7:30. Ps there was a rush to by darts, after that the Candian Tire special were put away. will be heading down again this week.

#23 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:13 PM

Will be heading to Middleton on Thru.this week. Waters going to be up again . Looking to head down again Sun/Mon /Tue weather permitting.

#24 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:45 AM

again another very windy and cold am in Middleton, Arrived at 5;30am and there were two other fishers on the point when I arrived. They never got a bite, I walked out into the freezing water and cast the Pink Lady no response but bumped a few, tried  several time (adjusted retrieve speed) Fish on :D Caught about16 in two hours when everything went quite.Decided to move down river and ran into someold friends. Jumped into one spot , fish on another 17 with one just at 6lbs the rest 3.5 to 5lbs. headed over to the park 4 lunch BBQ and just as I sat down to eat I got a phone call, a friend of a friend had got my number and was setting across the parking lot.Wanted darts.That started it, 1 hour of a steady run of 6ft away sales. Barley had time for the big juicy burgers :ph34r:, Headed  back up the river at 1;30pm and got ambushed 3 times for darts. Nothing on the main river so headed up to the point they were sparse everywhere. It was a grind but managed to land 29 with my last 30th was foul hooked and got of . Nice sunny very windy afternoon and evening. :DHeading down again SUN There was a run on Pink Lady, and Cherry Bombs and Think Pink, That's what I used all day.

#25 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:55 AM

Catching Up Sun cool very windy very slow fishing.30 fish all day 21 am 9in the pm Back down  yesterday there was next to nothing at the point but the main Annapolis river was full of fish. got 1 at the point went down to were you could see the bridge, quote from a fellow angler, I was on fire.58 in the am and 39pm. The point had a little life at 6:00pm and they caught 15 up there, a group of 5 people. I went up for a change and had 2 on.Back down the river and caught more till I left at 8:00pm

#26 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:56 AM

AGAIN I WAS IN MIDDLETON FISHING, The am was great Sam , Darcy and myself had the point to ourselves from 5:30 to 8:30  it was great. at one point when the bite slowed down I walked up the Nixtau and made a cast :o. That was my wake up moment , I hooked into what I call the old girls, 10 to 11lbs of 25ines of power. first drag run 70y back to me and another 60y down the river 80yd, drag heating up, again pulled her back to 20yd calling for the two on the point to come up to see the beast.Walked down to her had a good look and the hook came out , to my sadness, would have made a great photo shot. Made my day with that battle :D We all landed about 25 fish in the am then we had lunch and the other two went home. I went up to the point and fished with a group from bridge water and at one point Greg offered me the spot which I call the slot. Mistake :blink:caught over 25 their in the pm. After they had left 9 other people showed up 3 from Halifax and 6 from Cape Breton. I had to stop and show them how to tie a cinch knot and the basics of shad fishing , One young lad asked me why I was the only one consistently catching fish and no other, my reply 38 years of doing this a OG . :D 

#27 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

Again I going down to fish Middleton tomorrow :D . Just making up the days I missed not staying for 5 days of the long Weekend .Full kit of darts again with a new one in the line the Green lady, even showed it to my wife whom named the Pink Lady 25 years ago and its still a top shad getter :o. Landed over 50fish with it this year.

#28 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:29 PM

Here's the report fro yesterday, arrived at 6am 9 cars parked,walked  down to see 3 people I fish with for years and 15 Canadian  Chinese, what a crowd . my group was on the point so I headed up. there was a pile of fish and  they didn't want to bite. If you stayed at it and taped you would get a fish,I landed 20 and the rest about 15.Noah who now 18 foul hooked 90% and he earned a new nick name,a few other fishers landed fish. It dried up at 9:45 the whole river up from the bridge, and I moved down river to the corner, they had all given up on the spot, not me I'd seen schools of new fish moving up in front of me :),and afriend did say I was going to pull one out the hat sooner or later this am :o I pulled out the black and white dart. When times are tough and times are hard use the black and tap it hard.I was told that 15 years ago and I did.The next thing they all heard fish on :lol: . Caught 6 more and went to lunch after many dark looks :D Myself and 2 others had a great BBQ in the park.1:30 hit the pointand there was hardly no fish except for the slot, :D we cleaned that out by2;30 and the whole front had nothing, I was in the slot and tried the sharp short cast across the Nixtau, well it was game on. There was a ton of fish 10ft awayand it felt like you could only bump thru no bite, At one point I was watching the tip of my rod and noticed a tiny movement and set the hook. That was how lite they were hitting,40 fish later and 3 foul hooked I gave it up. Noticed some little kids behind me and I put a fish on each for them to play and headed down river, landed 1 and headed home.

#29 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

Heading down again on Sat least amount of rain in 5 days, cloud and a little rain turns on the bite .

#30 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:21 AM

I was at Elmsdale few days (5/22~5/26) last week for few hours per day. Water level was little high to medium and getting lower quickly. Brownish clear water during these period, sunny with frequent gusty wind, many people around. Managed to land around 60 in total on fly.

#31 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:26 PM

Well here the report for yesterday, for those in Halifax and just about 75% of Ns was rain free, forecast was cloudy with 60% chance of showers :wacko:Arrived and  it was light showers,hHit the point with some long time fishing friends, one brought his 8year old daughter which hung with me as we fished. Her dad and I landed about 15 each, Then the torrents of rain started at 7;30am. They bailed , the it stopped and the sun came out.at 9:30 was able to have a snack and assess what was going on with the fish.20 minutes later torrents of rain, It was like standing in a thunderstorm. Looked down at the big hole at the turn aND THE FISH WERE JUMPING A BOILING UP THE WATER, a massive spawning ball of fish :D game on for me carking the reel fast and keeping the dart up high,i started to get 4lb and for 1.5hr I hooked up to 6.5lbers 17 in total. At 11:30 the rain slowed down and 2 friends showed up and we headed to the park for a BBQ.At 2:00 we all headed up to the point, as I went up I cast into that pool again and was rewarded with a 4 lber. When I got to the point there was a fly fisher in the middle of the Nictau and I stepped into the vacant slot position :oThe torrents returned for 20 min worst than before. didn't slow any of the four of us down, First cast fish on, and it didn't stop till 7:30 for any of us. four of us fishing the slot. Conservative count I stopped at 84 with the others scoring around the same also 3 white perch 1 striper and the fly fisher 1 ell. I had line breakoffs twice on something very large , Freshly retied on same dart ,check knot strength cast a slam. come back wiyh intack knot and broke clean on the line :o.The former Apple Blossom weekend fish didn't disappoint the water came up 2ft while we were fishing my bucket with the rods had over 1.5in per dumps . figured 1.5 in fell in 5hrs. :o

#32 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:50 PM

Made it down for a afternoon fish today, The fishing was slow 3 on main river. 10 on the point over 4 hrs and then I went up the Nixtau were the old bridge was and ever 1 to 3 casts fish on.17 big fish ,after that I headed down the river and chatted with some other fishers whom I met many times in the past.There was a run on my white  Ghost and my black and white plus the Greenthing  which were a fish getters today.I used Greenthing and a black and white all evening. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: All Things Shad Fishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users