4 replies to this topic

#1 SWNova

SWNova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:13 AM

Hey everyone, 

Before I share some photos (further down the post) and my 2019 season recap, I have some thoughts I want to share...

I've noticed that there is a lack of discussion around saltwater fishing on the forums and facebook groups, and a lack of sportfishing boats on the ocean. I'm not sure if it is because the freshwater anglers are more active online or if people haven't discovered what the ocean has to offer. 

The groundfish stocks are growing, and I'd like to see the saltwater angling community and online presence grow as well. The learning curve is steep on the ocean and it can be intimidating at times, so it would be nice to grow the online community to share our knowledge to make everyone more successful out on the big water. 

There is a world class fishery out there waiting for us. I successfully caught groundfish last summer from 1 mile to 15 miles offshore, so you don't need a $50,000 boat to go fishing.

I'd like to see the saltwater angling community grow, along with the online presence so I am going to make an effort to be more active on the forums to share my experiences and information with fellow saltwater anglers, or anyone who is thinking about getting into it.

Now to my season recap...

I made 12-15 trips last summer between the end of May and the end of September in my 22' boat.

Stern View

Hundreds of cod, haddock and pollock between 3 and 15 pounds we landed. There was also no shortage of legal sized mackerel out there. Even the odd hake made an appearance when we hit the muddy bottom.

Haddock

Mixed Bag

When I was still leaning how to interpret my fishfinder, I would see marks suspended in the water column which turned out to be schools of pollock cruising under the boat.

Suspended Pollock

At the end of August and throughout September, large schools of baitfish began showing up on the fishfinder which I later determined was herring.

School of Fish on the Sonar

The school of herring in the picture above had a hidden surprise with it being a small porbeagle shark that was caught on 30lb test while fishing for cod.

Porbeagle Shark

The boat has been put away for a few months now  :(  but I can't wait to get back out there four months from now for some big mackerel and monster cod when the water is still cold!

As for next year, I have a few personal goals I'm looking to reach...

1) Successfully target and catch redfish.

2) Catch a cod over 20lbs.

3) Find some stripers in SW corner of the province.

4) Catch some warm water fish vacationing off Nova Scotia next summer whether it be bluefish, atlantic bonita, triggerfish or black sea bass.

I hope you enjoyed my photos, and I hope to see those that fish the ocean get more active on here as I think we all have a lot to learn. 

Until the spring,

SWNova

#2 uklee

uklee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationLawrencetown

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:33 PM

Hi

I do some salt fishing but just from the beach around Eastern Passage (Halifax)  or from the rocks around Prospect.

It is very frustrating that there is so little information about the fishing in the ocean here as I come from England and the fishing there is much harder than here but the information and the knowledge is nearly always freely given.

This year I keep telling myself that I am going to get out more.   but sometimes its just good intentions :-(

Lee

No such thing as a bad days fishing or a good day at work

#3 SWNova

SWNova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:54 AM

Hi Lee,

What species have you caught from the up there?

I share your frustration but I am slowly learning on my own and gathering information myself. I’m not sure that it’s a problem of people not freely sharing information and the striped bass fishermen seem to work together well... I think that it may be a issue of nobody having the information.

I’m going to try and provide fishing reports and other information that may be helpful to fellow anglers all season long.

Keep fishing and let us know how you make out! If we can get the saltwater threads active there may be more saltwater anglers come out of the woodwork and we can have a community to share information with.

Swnova

#4 uklee

uklee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationLawrencetown

Posted 08 March 2020 - 10:37 AM

Hi. Swnova  You may well be correct, very few people do recreational sea fish from the shore or from boats other than after mackerel and flounder.

I to am in a learning curve with the fishing here, but this year I am going to try my hardest to get out more now I have located a couple of marks to fish from.

I did find out the hard way that the lobster fishermen put their pots very close to the rocks on one of my favoured marks (south of Halifax) so I won’t be visiting there until the start of June this year, as trying to fish between the ropes looked impossible. 

As for what I have caught so far.  Flounder to 2LB 12oz,  small Pollock to 1lb 8oz and some nice sized Coalfish to about 3lb Coalfish are a member of the Pollock family (Pollachius virens) https://www.google.c...QAAAAAdAAAAABAD

I will not be starting fishing this year until about the middle of April when the water warms up a bit and then probably travel over the Bay of Fundy to see if any cod or rays are about.

No such thing as a bad days fishing or a good day at work

#5 SWNova

SWNova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:10 PM

I have the same problem as you do with lobster gear being south of Halifax as well. You should give the cod a try now, the cold water may bring them closer to shore... they are a cold water species after all.

I look forward to your updates once you start fishing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users