3 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianGoldenEagle

CanadianGoldenEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHalifax County, NS

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:22 PM

I'm needing to get some more sinkers for deep sea fishing but I'm having issues finding the sizes that I need.  As a result I'm looking at getting the molds and making my own but I'm not sure what would be best for the material.

I know that I can buy the molds for lead but trying to work out where I could get a steady supply of lead from is a little harder to find.  My alternative is to try and find something other than lead which would be suitable.  I have modeling clay at home but I don't know whether that would be suitable and I've seen about sandsinkers (cotton bags containing enough sand for the weight I need) but I'm still a little unsure.

Has anybody ever made their own sinkers please?

#2 fishon

fishon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Locationin my la-z-boy, fully reclined

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:43 AM

I use plaster of Paris. I mix it up, pour it in a container, and suspend several real sinkers half-way down in the mix. Leave overnight to harden, pop it out of the mold, then take a hack-saw and saw around and around about half-way to the sinkers in the mold. then take a chisel and gently whack it. It should pop into 2 equal haffs if done right.  Good luck.

#3 chrIsg68

chrIsg68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:06 PM

I just use old chain links, all sorts and sizes available, just need a good hacksaw or chopsaw to cut the chain into single links.

Depending on the rig, I use a drop line of weaker strength than the main line. Just tie a snap on the end and loop it through the link, if ones not enough, you can easily add more. If your sinker hangs up, the drop line will break before the main rig and you've lost very little of value.

Much better than dumping lead into the water.

Have fun. 

Chris

#4 CanadianGoldenEagle

CanadianGoldenEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHalifax County, NS

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:01 PM

Thanks guys. I settled on making the sandsinkers so that I could increase/decrease weight as needed and it'd also rot down if they snagged and broke off. They work for drop shot which is the main thing, casting will be completely different.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Saltwater, Sinkers, Weights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users