• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff trout smith

Jeff trout smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:57 PM

I've spent the entire winter waiting for the season to start, and I've been really looking forward to getting into fly fishing. I've done lots of research but have very little experience. I tried fly fishing on the first of the season with a wooly bugger and Mickey Finn,stripping them through the water with no success. After a couple hours and a lot of tangled line, my frustration took the best of me. Leaving discouraged I've been reluctant to give it another shot. I'm aware that I shouldn't expect to catch anything when I first start off in the hobby, but I was wondering if there are any tips and tricks to catching some stream brookies or maybe a Cornwallis brown?

#2 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1062 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

Jeff here's a suggestion Wait till May and head down for some shad .5 of an hour from Cornwallis River Exit 18. If I'm down their I can show you how to catch them on the fly. you need a sinking leader, tip or sinking line.I don't have a fly rod anymore but fish with friend with, and as in last year 1 evening long weekend a friend( arch mage of fly fishing for shad) passed me his 9ft salmon rod geared for shad and said he be back in 15m wanted to talk to his son up river.It turned into 40min and 11 shad on his rod. :DStill dabble .Have my own fly kit with me for shad and use them but fish a little different path. Have helped many newbees get into fish down their, fly rod or spinning and will share my flies. PS theirs Brownies and big Specs in that river at the same time also. It starts to get really good on fly around the long weekend.

#3 MackerelKing

MackerelKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:58 PM

My biggest suggestion would be to not give up. Watch video's on proper technique, and when you are out there, forget about catching a fish, just each cast practice your technique. Before you know it, tangles will be a thing of the past, you will be able to put your fly wherever you want it, and the fish will come.

Now, as for what flies to use, if you are targeting trout (or bass), early season you want a sinking nymph. When May comes about, switch yourself to a May Fly pattern, you will catch more trout than you know what to do with. The rest of the year I do VERY well on Royal Coachman.

Good luck! I assure you, when you catch your first fish on a flyrod, you will be just as hooked as your fish.

"The true measure of a man is not found in times of comfort and convenience, but in times of challenge and controversy."

#4 VanW27

VanW27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:06 PM

As another new fly fisher 1 piece of advice I would give is practice on land in your yard if you have space. Sucks driving out to your spot, hiking in, then getting there and spending the first hour + relearning how to cast properly.

#5 Fishin fool

Fishin fool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Locationin hot water (N.S.)

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

My biggest suggestion would be to not give up. Watch video's on proper technique, and when you are out there, forget about catching a fish, just each cast practice your technique. Before you know it, tangles will be a thing of the past, you will be able to put your fly wherever you want it, and the fish will come.

Now, as for what flies to use, if you are targeting trout (or bass), early season you want a sinking nymph. When May comes about, switch yourself to a May Fly pattern, you will catch more trout than you know what to do with. The rest of the year I do VERY well on Royal Coachman.

Good luck! I assure you, when you catch your first fish on a flyrod, you will be just as hooked as your fish.

Best advise you could ask for. Just remember that nothing as sweet as catching fish on a fly rod comes without determination and practice.

David M
Dartmouth, N.S.

#6 Sophia Grace

Sophia Grace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:23 AM

Sometime less experience don't work, That's experience is important. Well try next time for Fly Fishing.

#7 Jeff trout smith

Jeff trout smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

Thank you very much for the advice. I'm intrigued by the shad fishing, I'd love to give that a try

#8 Jeff trout smith

Jeff trout smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the advise, what size nymph should I be using?

#9 Jeff trout smith

Jeff trout smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

@VanW27, that's a good idea. Could spare me a couple hooks in my skin

#10 MackerelKing

MackerelKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for the advise, what size nymph should I be using?

I personally use a 10 to 14 size.

"The true measure of a man is not found in times of comfort and convenience, but in times of challenge and controversy."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fly fishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users