• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coop1902

coop1902

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

Hey i was wondering if anyone has used this company flying out of Baie Comeau ..and if yes could you described the lake you went and the fishing experience .I am very interested as a trip on my bucket list ..to go to on of their fly in fishing lakes.their prices are extremely reasonable and terrific as for the week you are there its just you and your party .Im especially interested in one of their more northern lakes..

if you are interested in getting a fishing party/group together id be interested in joining you ..i may be able to get one more body if needed..my interest time wise is aug/september .

they will be at a booth at the sporstman show i believe this march .

i appreciate your consideration in advance ..pm anytime 

regards 

#2 Firefly

Firefly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

I spoke with someone who has gone. He did the south package and said it was really good. He said the fishing was great and would recommend it. They caught lots of brook trout on spinning and fly gear. I believe he said the largest were in the 14-15" range though. It sounded like you need to go to the Norther lakes to get the bigger ones. 

#3 Ailken

Ailken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationProspect Bay

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:12 AM

Headed there next week!

Flying in to the lake on August 18th.

Can't wait. I'll try to report back here after we return.

Another person on here commented about going a week before they left, but I never saw that they returned so fingers crossed...LOL

Only concern is the weight allowance.

We get 100 lbs per person for your gear, food and beer/liquor for 5 nights, not sure how that is going to work out.

The price seems excellent and all of the people at Labrador Air Safari that I have dealt with so far have been fantastic.

Another buddy went moose hunting last year and is headed back again this fall. Said the place had everything you would ever need. Only suggestion he had was to bring your own life jacket because their ones weren't super comfortable and to bring an inflatable mattress because the foam pad on the bunks was lacking in cushion.

#4 Ailken

Ailken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationProspect Bay

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

Well, we made it back!

Had a fantastic trip. Fishing was good, not amazing, but really good. most fish were in the 12-15" range except for a couple. The biggest fish was actually landed in the boat but flipped itself back into the water before it was measured, but was estimated to be 19" and a lot fatter than the rest of the fish.

The camp was great with everything you could need - running water, flush toilet, propane stove, fridge and on demand water heater and shower. Also has an oil heater for spring and fall. All the dishes, pots and pans you will need. Boat seats with back, but I would say to bring a foam pad to sit on as well. Also had 3, 14' aluminum boats with 6hp outboards, very stable and reliable. All the gas we could burn as well. If you need power, just bring a 120V inverter to plug into the 12V outlet in the camp, this is where the satellite phone plugs into as well. They have a solar panel and 12V battery that runs a couple of LED lights and the water pump. Bunks were great - we brought air mattresses, but the 5" foam pads they have there would have been enough. Water is drawn from the lake so you'll need a way to purify your water. We just boiled it and cooled it overnight. We had pump issues one day and they flew right in and replaced the pump as well as an outboard that had a broken tiller.

We fished every corner, depth, cove, flat, river and hole we could find. The deepest point of the lakes were 204' and 169' but were mostly about 30-50' deep with shallow flats. By far the best fishing was on 3 types of lures - one was a gold and red lure with black dots and about 1.5" long (no bait), the next was a double bladed willow leaf spinner with fluorescent green tape and worm, the other main lure was a wedding band with worm.

The plane... with 4 people, you'll be in a Beaver and it's very tight. You are restricted by transport Canada to 100 lbs of gear per person - this includes all your food and alcohol. we allowed ourselves 40lbs of gear each and the rest for food and liquor. If you go to 5 or 6 people you'll get a larger plane - an Otter and I would venture a guess that they will allow you to take a bit more gear. You are also restricted on the Beaver plane to a 1200lb max weight for all gear and passengers. So, if your 4 burly people and weigh 275 each, that means your sitting at 1100 lbs and only have 100 lbs left for gear and food. You will have the option to have another plane bring in more gear, but that will cost you, likely $600 or more.

Overall, we definitely had a fantastic trip and would love to go back again with this company. I would highly recommend this trip to anyone. All in, it cost each of the four of us $1450 including ferry, gas, food, hotels and the trip. We were a bit disappointed that we didn't hook into any significant numbers of large brook trout, but believe that we just hit the lake at a bad time. it was very hot and sunny the whole time and the water dropped almost a foot during our trip. That makes it hard to fish anywhere. The scenery was absolutely amazing, I could go back again just for that!

"If you're just going so you can catch big fish, you're missing the point..."

Run at the end of the lakes
Album: Fly in fishing trip
5 images
0 comments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users