• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Riddymon

Riddymon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

So I finally purchased a cheap rod/reel combo (about $60-70) and went on my first fishing trip today. Scoped out some places on google maps and tried my luck at secluded area in French Village off of Peggy's Cove Road.  One of the many coves there on the drive down to peggy's cove. Looked like the perfect fishing spot. I'm from Bermuda so I only really bait fish...don't know anything about lures and such....had some frozen squid, frozen uncooked shrimp, oysters and tinned anchovies) but I was basically there for hours without even one bite.  I was a little disappointed (not to mention - my noob casting skills resulted in me losing 4 hooks and 2 sinkers) ..so I ended up driving around (while staring at the navigation in my car) and found a little pier in West Dover.  Casted my line out and I immediately got bites.  I was really excited.  Pulled up a few of these (anyone know what these are btw)

IMG_20170820_1231548.jpg

...and some tiny macks (which LOVED the shrimp) but I released everything since they were small.  They oysters were a waste...i guess they are cooked so too soft to hook.  The shrimp were a big hit with the mackerel but were still sort of soft so i'd say for every mackerel I hooked, I came back with a naked hook 3 other times.  The other type of fish were right by the dock and basically swarmed the squid. Ended up having to leave because my line wrapped around a ladder on the dock and I had to cut it free.  Was my last sinker.  Was a good day...will be back out next weekend.  Anyone know how to make the shrimp stay on better though? I thought it would be a little more durable since it was uncooked.  

Glad to join the forum :) 

#2 Riddymon

Riddymon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:12 PM

Realized, I might've posted this in the wrong forum by mistake.  Not sure how to move it though...

#3 VanW27

VanW27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

That's a Pollack. Congrats on getting into fishing in NS.

I don't really have any advice on keeping bait on, rather my advice would be to ditch the bait and sinkers all together. Lots of different option but pretty well any flashy or brightly coloured spoon or spinner will catch Pollack and Macs.

#4 Golfisher

Golfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationWherever Fish Are

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

Use bait thread to wrap the bait: 

They are dirt cheap if you order through eBay or Aliexpress--delivery takes at least a month though. 

#5 Sophia Grace

Sophia Grace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:06 AM

Congratulations for this new rod/reel combo as well as for for first fishing trip :) I could undertand how was your first fishing experience with rod/reel combo. 

I appreciate your craziness for fishing that you done first time & hope to see more amazing fishing by you in next time :)

#6 Riddymon

Riddymon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:15 PM

Congratulations for this new rod/reel combo as well as for for first fishing trip :) I could undertand how was your first fishing experience with rod/reel combo. 

I appreciate your craziness for fishing that you done first time & hope to see more amazing fishing by you in next time :)

Thanks, totally forgot i started this thread since I'm not on the forum too often.  Looking forward to heading back out and casting my rod in the next few weeks when I get back from vacation in Bermuda.  Looking to also upgrade the equipment a bit, definitely a new reel, probably a new separate rod/reel combo as well.  Definitely looking to explore some freshwater fishing as well..just not sure where to go.   

#7 Riddymon

Riddymon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Use bait thread to wrap the bait: 

They are dirt cheap if you order through eBay or Aliexpress--delivery takes at least a month though. 

Thanks!! I'll definitely order some, I was getting some big bites with the shrimp, moreso than the squid I was using but spent more time baiting the hook and losing the shrimp when I casted than anything else..lol.  

#8 rocker12

rocker12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

Hey Riddymon

Welcome!

You might try using sabiki rigs instead of all that bait. They are great for mackerel and even pollock. You will find them at Fishing Fever on Agricola St in Hfx, and other places too.

Down in the area you were driving we have got some squid the last few years too. Fingers crossed, hope they come this year too! The squid we get are shortfin ones I think, mighty tasty anyhow.

#9 Riddymon

Riddymon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:57 AM

Hey Riddymon

Welcome!

You might try using sabiki rigs instead of all that bait. They are great for mackerel and even pollock. You will find them at Fishing Fever on Agricola St in Hfx, and other places too.

Down in the area you were driving we have got some squid the last few years too. Fingers crossed, hope they come this year too! The squid we get are shortfin ones I think, mighty tasty anyhow.

Thanks for the tips rocker. To be honest, not too interested in using sabikis (or any kind of lures).  Would rather just toss some bait over and wait for a nibble.  I know that's not what's commonly done around here but that's how I prefer to fish.  I agree with you that I did go overboard with the bait initially...I think from now on I'll just take squid or fresh shrimp and just see where that gets me.  After doing some fishing in Bermuda on vacation, it's kind of spoiled me as the species you can catch are so much more varied than Nova Scotia....but still looking forward to getting the rod wet every so often.  Think I'll be looking to venture into freshwater fishing this summer as well, hopefully that'll make things a little more interesting and will be a new experience for me.

Have never caught squid before and probably never will, no idea what do with them besides from cutting them up and tossing them back over  :rolleyes:  :D

#10 MackerelKing

MackerelKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the tips rocker. To be honest, not too interested in using sabikis (or any kind of lures).  Would rather just toss some bait over and wait for a nibble.  I know that's not what's commonly done around here but that's how I prefer to fish.  I agree with you that I did go overboard with the bait initially...I think from now on I'll just take squid or fresh shrimp and just see where that gets me.  After doing some fishing in Bermuda on vacation, it's kind of spoiled me as the species you can catch are so much more varied than Nova Scotia....but still looking forward to getting the rod wet every so often.  Think I'll be looking to venture into freshwater fishing this summer as well, hopefully that'll make things a little more interesting and will be a new experience for me.

Have never caught squid before and probably never will, no idea what do with them besides from cutting them up and tossing them back over  :rolleyes:  :D

Bait fishing and artificial bait all have their place depending on what kind of fish you are targeting. If you are after sea perch/sculpin/striped bass I generally always go live bait for better results. For Pollock/Mackerel/Herring/Cod you will find you have more luck using artificial swim bait like the sabiki mentioned above.

"The true measure of a man is not found in times of comfort and convenience, but in times of challenge and controversy."

#11 Riddymon

Riddymon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

Bait fishing and artificial bait all have their place depending on what kind of fish you are targeting. If you are after sea perch/sculpin/striped bass I generally always go live bait for better results. For Pollock/Mackerel/Herring/Cod you will find you have more luck using artificial swim bait like the sabiki mentioned above.

I understand....yeah, I've been told that as well.  Just always been a "bait and wait" fisherman. I've caught quite a few mackerel with bait (nothing worth keeping though).  Constantly retrieving and casting doesn't really interest me but I'll give it a try though.   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users