#1 topwater

topwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationblacketts lake

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

myself and a couple of friends were up to check out the river and plan our june trip,see what changes took place due to all the flooding we had,what we saw was a group of guys with a bunch of slinks on the bank at the long stretch caught with spinners worms and minnows and jigs.we reported them and dfo said there was nothing they could do because they were native.what exactly are the laws and who do they apply to.this was very depressing sight

#2 BloodKnot

BloodKnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

myself and a couple of friends were up to check out the river and plan our june trip,see what changes took place due to all the flooding we had,what we saw was a group of guys with a bunch of slinks on the bank at the long stretch caught with spinners worms and minnows and jigs.we reported them and dfo said there was nothing they could do because they were native.what exactly are the laws and who do they apply to.this was very depressing sight

Did they go and check them out first ,or was that their reply on the phone?

It is sad how these species are treared .

#3 topwater

topwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationblacketts lake

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

Did they go and check them out first ,or was that their reply on the phone?

It is sad how these species are treared .

they said they saw them already over the phone

#4 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationTrenton, Pictou County, Nova Scotia

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

Native or not when a species is at risk or in decline there is no need for this kind of behavior. I think the overall survival of a species should supersede in cases like this.
"There's more to fishing than catching fish"
Join me on Facebook or Youtube for lots of great pictures of my trips and catches, flies and fly tying.
Also plenty of tips, tricks and videos!! Join up and tell your friends.
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Facebook
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Youtube

#5 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

Well if dfo were right and they were "native", then unfortunately there isn't much they can do....because they are "harvesting" for food.

Sad but true really, and it isn't something I agree with at all, but hey what can you do. After all it is the law.

The rivers around here used to have decent populations of salmon also. But with the damming of the river, along with acid rain, and "harvesting" methods practiced by some. Those fish are now few and far between. I remember as a kid watching them set gill nets straight across the river and fish ladder in front of the dam, leaving no room for anything to escape, only to trade the grilse and salmon caught for cases of beer etc.

If you are hungry and don't have much money and need to support your family, Then I say why not take what you need...but only what you need. and this should go for anyone IMO.

And not include threatened species of our province...after all the salmon are "natives" too, and deserve our protection and respect.

#6 topwater

topwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationblacketts lake

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Well if dfo were right and they were "native", then unfortunately there isn't much they can do....because they are "harvesting" for food.

Sad but true really, and it isn't something I agree with at all, but hey what can you do. After all it is the law.

The rivers around here used to have decent populations of salmon also. But with the damming of the river, along with acid rain, and "harvesting" methods practiced by some. Those fish are now few and far between. I remember as a kid watching them set gill nets straight across the river and fish ladder in front of the dam, leaving no room for anything to escape, only to trade the grilse and salmon caught for cases of beer etc.

If you are hungry and don't have much money and need to support your family, Then I say why not take what you need...but only what you need. and this should go for anyone IMO.

And not include threatened species of our province...after all the salmon are "natives" too, and deserve our protection and respect.

you said it,if dfo were right,they didnt even show up to check them out.this BS has been going on way too long

#7 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

you said it,if dfo were right,they didnt even show up to check them out.this BS has been going on way too long

I'm with you on that one 100%

#8 Mr.Lahey

Mr.Lahey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

X2

Lets get serious. I'f you get free money and you're not paying taxes... you're doing better then I am. I'm sure you don't need to fish out a river to feed your family..... imo

#9 Lee

Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationPort Hawkesbury

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

There are PLENTY of great trout fishing spots within a short drive from there. Why go target slink salmon? Because they can, and I think some of them like to throw it in our face a bit. Pretty sad, if they're that hungry, go fill their creels with bass in Lake Ainslie.
Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

#10 Lee

Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

Just thought I would add this link from the Cape Breton Post.
http://www.capebreto..._medium=twitter
The local Mi'kmaq communities are in support of a salmon fishing ban on Middle and Baddeck rivers.

#11 topwater

topwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Locationblacketts lake

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:37 PM

The local Mi'kmaq communities are in support of a salmon fishing ban on Middle and Baddeck rivers.

when does this ban take effect

#12 Lee

Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

when does this ban take effect

I think they're just doing some research right now. It's the first I've heard of it. From the story it sounds like a proposal.

#13 Troutflyfisher

Troutflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

Means no C&R fishery either.

#14 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

The problem is Lee that the council are in no position to enforce the ban. They natives can come from anywhere - so the band has no control over them.
Once I saw a group 6 - 8 fellows - fishing on the Wallace - before season opened. I went down and talked with them. Some of them were from New York state - the rest from NS - they all had very expensive spinning reels and rods and lures big enough to catch a seal - I asked about the cost of the equipment and was told the band provided them. That was when the bands were getting into the fishing business with boats and so on.
Some bands are concerned about this but what can be done remains a mystery.
I think the moose hunt is in the same position.
Not a pretty scene
Paul

#15 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

The problem is Lee that the council are in no position to enforce the ban. They natives can come from anywhere - so the band has no control over them.
Once I saw a group 6 - 8 fellows - fishing on the Wallace - before season opened. I went down and talked with them. Some of them were from New York state - the rest from NS - they all had very expensive spinning reels and rods and lures big enough to catch a seal - I asked about the cost of the equipment and was told the band provided them. That was when the bands were getting into the fishing business with boats and so on.
Some bands are concerned about this but what can be done remains a mystery.
I think the moose hunt is in the same position.
Not a pretty scene
Paul

The reason they are allowed to fish and hunt whenever/however much they want is because us white folk came and took away their land. They want to continue their way of life with the traditions that were passed down for thousands of years. This is all fine and dandy, except their traditions didn't consist of using this new technology, like driving around in a truck and rolling down the window to shoot a moose. I think it's time they either conform to our current society's laws or if they want to live their own way then do it properly and use a bow and arrow. They are getting the "best of both worlds" and it isn't fair at all to the rest of us.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, and I have no harsh feelings towards natives in general, just the individuals who do this sort of behaviour.
Posted Image

#16 Lee

Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:44 AM

At least the moose are overpopulated here in the highlands(not that I condone some of the hunting practices). Salmon certainly AREN'T.

#17 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:49 AM

At least the moose are overpopulated here in the highlands(not that I condone some of the hunting practices). Salmon certainly AREN'T.

Yes my mistake, I meant to include the salmon slaughter in my post. Thanks for pointing that out.
Posted Image

#18 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

The reason they are allowed to fish and hunt whenever/however much they want is because us white folk came and took away their land. They want to continue their way of life with the traditions that were passed down for thousands of years. This is all fine and dandy, except their traditions didn't consist of using this new technology, like driving around in a truck and rolling down the window to shoot a moose. I think it's time they either conform to our current society's laws or if they want to live their own way then do it properly and use a bow and arrow. They are getting the "best of both worlds" and it isn't fair at all to the rest of us.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, and I have no harsh feelings towards natives in general, just the individuals who do this sort of behaviour.

I couldn't have said it better myself, or agree more...+1 for that bud.

#19 rpen

rpen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

I agree Billy, I don't think most people wouldn't have a problem with Natives using traditional methods(1750'-1760's when treaties were signed)to harvest what they have a right to harvest(within reason), which was the original intention of the treaty. Using modern technologies such as motorized vehicles, high powered rifles and modern fishing gear for their harvest appears to most as an abuse and to not be within the original intention of the treaty. And to that I would add that most bands say that they want to preserve their traditions and ways which is in total contradiction to what appears to be taking place.

Just my 2 cents worth!

#20 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

I agree Billy, I don't think most people wouldn't have a problem with Natives using traditional methods(1750'-1760's when treaties were signed)to harvest what they have a right to harvest(within reason), which was the original intention of the treaty. Using modern technologies such as motorized vehicles, high powered rifles and modern fishing gear for their harvest appears to most as an abuse and to not be within the original intention of the treaty. And to that I would add that most bands say that they want to preserve their traditions and ways which is in total contradiction to what appears to be taking place.

Just my 2 cents worth!

You got that right buddy. I'd like to get my hands on some of these treaties and see what they actually say. Do natives vote or no? If they do, I can see why the government wants to keep them happy. But that's the problem with our government; they're more concerned about the votes than the voters.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users