2 replies to this topic

#1 busta

busta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

Hello,

I'm new to fishing and I was wondering if there were any good saltwater fishing locations near downtown Halifax. I live near Dalhousie so somewhere that is 15mins by bus from that would be nice. 

I've heard of people fishing near pier 21 and etc, but I was wondering what the regulations were. Would I need a ticket? Is a specific place I would not be allowed to fish?

#2 jparadis2002

jparadis2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

Depends on what you are trying to catch. You can catch mackerel pretty regularly from anywhere along the waterfront however I prefer fishing off the rocks near Point Pleasant Park once the mackerel start running in late June/early July. You will also catch small pollack from there. You can catch squid from the same area with a squid jig once they arrive later in the summer. That's about all the salt water fishing you'll be able to do from shore within 15min of Dal. If you were able to get to Eastern Passage you might catch a few flounder from shore. Hope that helps

#3 jparadis2002

jparadis2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

And you don't need a license. Just don't go fishing on someone's private dock and you'll be ok. Mackerel have to be 11 inches or so to keep. Otherwise no limits.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Location, Fishing, Saltwater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users