4 replies to this topic

#1 fishhunter

fishhunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

Hello Everyone.

This Sunday I am heading to Sheet Harbour to try for Sea-run brookies.  I suspect we will be trying the harbour and river.

I typically use a 6'6" Rod with 6lb Test and a 6 Wt fly Rod.  Will these be suitable for Sea-runs or should I go heavier?  

Also What kind of lures/bait and fly's should I have on hand.  Not looking for anybody's secret formulas but a general idea of what I should be using would be great!

Thank you.

Bob

#2 kc1751

kc1751

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:18 AM

how was Sheet harbour any luck?

#3 fishhunter

fishhunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

Unfortunately due to a medical emergency, we did not go.

Do you have any recommendations?

#4 Mick

Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

Sorry to hear you didn't make it out after. As for what to take with I would recommend keeping it simple. 

Bait/Lures: A spinner with snelled minnow hook (use them for both minnow and worm) size 4 & 6 for Searun fish and size 8 for resident. For minnow, feed the hook down the throat far enough so that when you are done you can stick the "barb" up through the mouth and into the hard plate on the minnows head(this will keep it firmly in place). As for worms, I pinch them them off  about an 1/8 inch past the "heart" and then feed the worm onto the hook and stick the " barb" into the heart(again this will hold the worm firmly on the hook and not allow a fish to eat the excess worm) Use all the "heart" ends first and then use up the rest as need be. If you are trolling, add split shot or let more line out increase depth.

Spinners: they vary a lot in size, color, # of spoons, shapes etc. . This one is for reference.

http://www.canadiant...73547p.html#srp

Hooks: http://www.canadiant...83196p.html#srp

As for lures, any Rapala'ish lure will work, If still in the salt water i would recommend a Blue J05, If up river above the bridge(If that is still the fly only cut off) I would first toss a brown trout color.

https://rapala.ca/products/jointed

Flys: Muddler minnows, cone head bunny muddlers/ Zonkers, Shrimp flies if you are near sand flats/channels. 

Hope this helps, Be sure to keep us posted of results !

Tight lines

#5 bigbrat

bigbrat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:52 AM

if your gonna fish salt water for sea runs the best hook i found was the good ole super duper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trout, Fly-Fishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users