14 replies to this topic

#1 darkblue

darkblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Hi folks,

I'm looking for information: the "to know" about fishing in Halifax (HRM) and how to get started.

I have done squid fishing last season, which I plan to undertake again this year-but in the interim would like to catch fish.

What type of fish doesn't matter as much to me as how easy they are to catch. Preferred fish that are edible though.

-What kind of rod to buy (that isn't too expensive) -- what lures and bait as well

-Where to fish and do I need a license? 

-Techniques of fishing

-Which fish are good to eat

-Cleaning fish kit (knife, etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris (darkblue)

#2 kc1751

kc1751

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

depends on what you are after; years ago we used to fish along Lake Banook and catch bass

in another month mackerel will be along the coast and any wharf should do the trick

all the lakes in hrm are usually stocked with trout every year

get yourself a nice 6 foot trout rod with some nice flex on the end (not to stiff) for more exciting action

I find ugly sticks a little too rigid but you might like them

mackerel like lures; trout love plain hook with bait or artificial flies

bass tend to eat anything and everything but I catch them on bait

drop down to agricola street; the guys at fishing fever can help you out

good luck 

#3 Nicholas23

Nicholas23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:22 PM

Hey! Thought I could help out a bit

Rods are very personal, it's like a knife or a golf club, it's gotta fit your hand just right. My advice is to firstly get a spinning rod, they don't have a lot of issues, they're easy to learn, cheaper than other types, and just all around good. Length is usually personal, though I agree with kc175, a 6 foot rod or a 6' 6" rod is usually all you need, for freshwater in NS there's not much that'll be over 5-10 pounds and those are good for getting a good fight out of fish that don't weigh much. Lures and Baits differ from species to season to eating habits, and there's thousands of lures to choose from. Like techniques I'd say  research them and choose what you feel like would work, in my experience's I've found luck with Spoon lures, Crankbaits, and Soft Plastic baits on a hook, but there are thousands and there's probably baits and lures that are 10x better than the ones I've  mentioned, play around with it and check out the most recommended on the internet!

So, from my knowledge you don't need a fishing license if you're fishing saltwater, but you need one for freshwater and you can get ticketed if you don't have one, it costs about 30-40$ for a whole season at pretty much any sport store that sells fishing gear, or fishing gear store. 

There's so many techniques you should take some time to look up some stuff and learn by getting on the water and casting a line, techniques vary from species too. For Mackerel a popular technique is to get a shiny fish imitation spoon or jighead and you let it fall to the bottom, then lift it up, then let it fall down to the bottom again, rinse and repeat. For Bass you can use most of everything, it just depends on what they feel like eating. For Trout people will throw a worm, Berkely Powerbait, or  sometimes even corn on a small hook. The techniques differ from species, weather, season, and just what the fish feel like eating, so take a look around at that stuff and try them out on the water.

From what I heard and my experiences, Trout and Mackerel are good for eating, and I've heard that Chain Pickerel are good too but bony, I don't eat much fish so it'd be better to ask locals or others on here. 

I'm a catch and release guy so I've still yet to learn how to filet a fish  :unsure:

#4 Mick

Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:09 PM

As mentioned above a light or medium power, moderate action spinning rod in the 6’ or 6’6” range and spooled with 6-10lb line is ideal for 80% of the fresh and salt(from shore) water fishing you can encounter in Nova Scotia. Fishing in salt water does not require a license, however fresh water does.

I would strongly recommend that you read up on all regulations (CO’s will not accept “Someone told me on…” as an excuse) that can be found via: https://novascotia.c...nd-regulations/

Scroll down to “Anglers' Handbook and Summary of Regulations” where you can find the 2017 summary link as a .PDF file

Trout information can be found via: If wild trout is what you are after, buy some good boots and explore.
https://novascotia.c...tocking-update/

Filleting a fish via:
http://www.dummies.c...ting-your-fish/

Fishing with worms (Most effective when starting out)
http://www.bassfishi...orms-live-bait/

Any additional information that you are looking for can be found @ https://novascotia.c...h/sportfishing/ with a little reading.

This should get you started into the world of sport fishing in NS, best of luck and enjoy the outdoors.

P.S. Remember to clean up any mess that you make along the way, so others can enjoy the places as much as you have.

#5 darkblue

darkblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

I appreciate the response guys.

I remember fishing in my youth and filleting fish so that part should be covered.

Where are good spots to catch a lot of fish//when will the squid and mackerel roll in hard in the salt water (preferred as I'm moving in 2 months so would rather save the money from buying license)

#6 Mick

Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

Mackerel should start around the end of the month/ early June, I would recommend starting out for flounder(Very tasty!) while you are waiting. Clams for bait work best in my experience, set up on a sliding weight and circle hook rig. Squid if i remember correctly are later in the summer. 

Flounder can be found in sandy bottom areas, Rainbow Haven beach(channel) is a good place to start, or down in Eastern Passage board walk area.

A good resource for finding out depths/ structure:

https://webapp.navio...&key=w}goGlfmbK  

#7 darkblue

darkblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

Mackerel should start around the end of the month/ early June, I would recommend starting out for flounder(Very tasty!) while you are waiting. Clams for bait work best in my experience, set up on a sliding weight and circle hook rig. Squid if i remember correctly are later in the summer. 

Flounder can be found in sandy bottom areas, Rainbow Haven beach(channel) is a good place to start, or down in Eastern Passage board walk area.

A good resource for finding out depths/ structure:

https://webapp.navio...&key=w}goGlfmbK

You're a good guy. Thanks!

#8 uklee

uklee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationLawrencetown

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

The season for ground fish (Flounder Pollock etc) East of Hartlen Point (back of Rainbow Haven) dose not start until the mid of June the 17th I believe.

Eastern passage is open now so you will be okay there.

No such thing as a bad days fishing or a good day at work

#9 darkblue

darkblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

The season for ground fish (Flounder Pollock etc) East of Hartlen Point (back of Rainbow Haven) dose not start until the mid of June the 17th I believe.

Eastern passage is open now so you will be okay there.

I'd actually gone today, at rainbow haven. got flounder lure, that had two string and hook, put night crawlers on the hooks...but had no idea where to go.
I was off the beach to the left. There's the two staircase boardwalk which lead to the beach, where in relation to that is the area to fish for Flounder? Or should I just eff off and wait for Mackerel.

I'm only in this province until beginning of July so what's the best go, Mackerel? And what about squid?

#10 uklee

uklee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationLawrencetown

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Hi Instead of going into rainbow keep on the road until you come to a bridge fish along the road up to it.  You don't have to cast too far as they tend to stay in the deep water close to the shore.  You can park on the stones on the left of the road, but be careful of where the clam diggers launch their boats.

You can also fish from the shore there.

Below is a link to the DFO regarding season and limits for that area.

http://www.inter.dfo...ries/Groundfish

#11 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Hi Folks, I am following this post as we are new to NS. We would love to catch cod, flounder, pollock, squid and all of the above mentioned, however Halifax is a little far to travel as we are in Bridgewater. Any suggestions on locations for the East Coast nearer here, and method/bait?

#12 uklee

uklee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationLawrencetown

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

Hi EM.

For flounder find sandy/muddy sea bed and use clam,small pieces.strips of squid/muscles on small hooks, sizes 6 to 2's is all you need.  Use a running rig.

Pollock are not running as yet as they like the water a little warmer.  For shore fishing you want to fish either from rocks or a wharf into deepish water and fish a soft plastic weedless if a lot of weed is about, a slow steady retrieve works well rather than the pump and retrieve that you use for mackerel, paddle tail shad or senko work well.

#13 gbalkam

gbalkam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSpryfield, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

A couple things I noticed in the original post were.. inexpensive gear, edible and easy to catch.  Perch wins my vote here.  They are very easy to catch, annoyingly so if you are trying for another species.  They are edible, but a bit boney, (watch how you handle them, the spines can cut bare hands) and all you need is a hook, line and a stick cut from an alder or tree. You can't get much more inexpensive than that.

A google search of halifax, nova scotia, perch should give some local results of where to fish.

#14 darkblue

darkblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

Are the squid out yet??

#15 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hi EM.

For flounder find sandy/muddy sea bed and use clam,small pieces.strips of squid/muscles on small hooks, sizes 6 to 2's is all you need.  Use a running rig.

Pollock are not running as yet as they like the water a little warmer.  For shore fishing you want to fish either from rocks or a wharf into deepish water and fish a soft plastic weedless if a lot of weed is about, a slow steady retrieve works well rather than the pump and retrieve that you use for mackerel, paddle tail shad or senko work well.

Thanks! Any particular color of senko or paddle tail shad that works?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users