• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fishreporter

fishreporter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

I have heard that pickerel have been eliminating a lot of fish like trout, bass, and perch in Dartmouth lakes, specifically in Lake Banook, Lake Mic Mac and Lake George. Can someone give me a bit more information on this? Is this a real problem?

#2 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 908 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

As far as Micmac/Banook goes, there hasn't been trout in those lakes in over 25 years that I am aware of. The chain pickerel started being caught during smallmouth tourneys 4 maybe 5 years ago. In my opinion the smallie fishing has improved a lot since the cp have established themselves.......similar situations like Shortts and Morris lakes.

#3 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:10 AM

........ In my opinion the smallie fishing has improved a lot since the cp have established themselves........

I agree.  I have a theory - the big CP eat the little SMB, and the big SMB are eating the little CP.  They keep each other in check and together they prevent each from becoming stunted.

Personal hook & line records:
Chain Pickerel - 24" 4lbs
Small Mouth Bass - 19.25" and 2lbs 1oz
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Brown Bullhead - 10"
Shark - 120" Blue (dad's line actually :P )
Atlantic Cod - 36" (25 to 30 lbs approx)
Mackerel - tinkers
Scoulpin - who cares :angry:

#4 Firefly

Firefly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

Your theory might be right OleNewfieDog. Those two species can co-exist no problem. The trout on the other hand don't stand a chance with the pickerel. They seem to do OK with bass only.

#5 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

Following this conversation - We are pretty new to the area and would like to catch a few pickerel for the supper table. Where can folk recommend in the Bridgewater, South Shore area to catch some? Thanks in advance.

#6 Mopartech9

Mopartech9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

Is there an area around shorts lake to fish from shore at all or is it all privately owned land?

#7 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

There's some room on the north end and the south end by the boat launches. There's typically some fish around these areas so it's worth trying, but you likely won't get a lot. 

#8 Mopartech9

Mopartech9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the reply! My kids really want to get out and do some fishing. I have no idea were to take them lol I've heard of the fishing being good there by boats so thought it may be worth a shot. Any other suggestions for shore fishing and east to access? Not looking for anyone es secret spot just someplace they can get some fish! I remember as a kid going to the Amherst bird sanctuary and getting perch and having a blast but since you're not allowed to fish there any more I'm out f ideas. Really anywhere in Colchester or Cumberland county would be swell.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trout, perch, bass, lake micmac, banook, shubie canal, dartmouth, halifax, pickerel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users