• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 logcabin

logcabin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

We will be visiting Cape Breton during October 2017.  I am interested in fishing in rivers and streams.  We might be staying in the Baddeck area.  Any information you could give me would be helpful and appreciated.

#2 beancounter

beancounter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCape Breton, NS

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Hi Logcabin - Most of the rivers and streams in Cape Breton close to angling September 30th (unless that has changed for 2017). There is a select few that are open in October but I'm not familiar enough with that particular area to offer an opinion/direction. Best bet would be to contact DFO to be sure what rivers are open in that area (if any). 

If you do happen to get there before the season closes there is no shortage of water to fish. You can literally pick any open river or stream you see and catch trout. If you are not picky about the size of the fish you can catch small wild Brook trout (usually 10 inches or less) all day long from small streams just off the side of the road. I've had a lot of success with Mickey Finns, Royal Coachmans, smaller Muddler Minnows.

#3 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

If you look in the regulations book, it'll describe a trout management area in the highlands.  This area is usually open year round with a 10 trout retention limit.  Lots of logging roads up there.  Just be prepared with gps and maps cause alot of the spots have no cell signal.  Salmon is also usually open till October 31st on the Margaree river.  Good luck.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#4 VanW27

VanW27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

Baddeck river is typically open till Oct 31st as well. But fly fishing only for Browns and Rainbows. I have no idea if the fishing is any good though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users