12 replies to this topic

#1 Coachman

Coachman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

I joined a group of local carp anglers yesterday for their annual "fish-in" on Hamilton Harbour. Action was very slow and I was the only one there with a fly rod. By mid afternoon I was about to pack it in when I decided to make a few more casts. I was rather surprised when this guy came calling. Early in the fight, he took out some drag and my reel over-ran, hopelessly snarling my line (drag wasn't tight enough), so I had to fight it by carefully stripping the line in.

Of course, this was an incidental catch (they're OOS right now), so after a quick photo, the fish went back into the water. It was a fun fight in any case.

Posted Image
"Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learnt". Isaak Walton
Posted Image

#2 auddie

auddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Locationcape island

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

is that a pickrel or a pike???????
:huh:

#3 fisherkid123

fisherkid123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:21 PM

is that a pickrel or a pike???????
:huh:

Thats a pike
"Fly fishing is to fishing, what ballet is to walking."

#4 Coachman

Coachman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

Its actually a rather chunky pike at that. I didn't weigh or measure it, as I wanted to get it back into the water quickly, but I'd guess 36-38 inches and right around 7 1/2 to 8 pounds. The fish had "shoulders" and (for a pike) a full belly.
"Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learnt". Isaak Walton
Posted Image

#5 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:49 PM

Nice snake bud. Real healthy looking northern for sure. They sure do fight. I never had the chance to experience one on the fly rod though. Must have been a blast. Not used to hearing pike are outta season. I lived in Norther Ontario they were open all year there lol.

#6 Coachman

Coachman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

Here's a shot of the fight. This was taken as I was trying to clear the tangle on my reel while keeping tension on the line (the fish had just swam towards me). Thats a 14 foot 9/10 weight spey rod, and you can see the fish has a decent bow in it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Spastic Caster

Spastic Caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada's Ocean Playground

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

Wickedly good fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

James

Thinking of Buying or Selling Real Estate? I am an expert in negotiating real estate transactions for my clients. If you have any questions, call me any time at 902.449.2029 and I will get you on the right track.

#8 Greenhill Man

Greenhill Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationGreenhill, Nova Scotia

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

This might be a silly quesiton but is Hamilton Harbour in Nova Scotia or is it in Ontario? I googled it but couldn't find it in N.S. Nice fish by the way.

#9 Coachman

Coachman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hamilton Harbour is at the very western end of Lake Ontario, separating Hamilton and Burlington. I was actually fishing beside the Canadian Centre for Inland Waters (CCIW), which is on the Burlington side of the harbour.

CCIW
Posted Image

#10 himdall2000

himdall2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEastern Passage

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

Nice catch for sure. sadly I think we don'thave pike in nova scotia, I know Quebec and ontario are full of it and pike is very good to eat, a bit of bones but very good fish if you ever have a chance to taste it do it!

#11 Coachman

Coachman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Nice catch for sure. sadly I think we don'thave pike in nova scotia, I know Quebec and ontario are full of it and pike is very good to eat, a bit of bones but very good fish if you ever have a chance to taste it do it!

I like pike, but I'd not want to see them in Nova Scotia. The pickerel are already spreading too far and causing a lot of controversy and damage. Nova Scotia's salmon and trout population sure don't need another toothy competitor.
Posted Image

#12 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

I figure the muskie in NB will be here before the Northerns get here. I guess I seen last year (through news and reports) that they have some very large muskies in NB now.

#13 Coachman

Coachman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

I figure the muskie in NB will be here before the Northerns get here. I guess I seen last year (through news and reports) that they have some very large muskies in NB now.

I'd hate to see muskies in Nova Scotia too, as impressive as they are.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users