4 replies to this topic

#1 Krista

Krista

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

I have been fishing Brown, Rainbow and Speckled trout for about 5 years and I am looking to try something different.

I have become quite interested in Bass fishing and noticed that you can catch some decent sized Stripers in the Stewiacke River. Has anyone ever fished this? Can you catch them from the shore? What did you use as a lure? Any info would be appreciated!

-K

#2 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

I have been fishing Brown, Rainbow and Speckled trout for about 5 years and I am looking to try something different.

I have become quite interested in Bass fishing and noticed that you can catch some decent sized Stripers in the Stewiacke River. Has anyone ever fished this? Can you catch them from the shore? What did you use as a lure? Any info would be appreciated!

-K

Hi Krista,

There are some decent Stripers in the Stewiacke River. However, there are pretty tight regulations regarding what you can use (Check Handbook pg. 45). The "Stewie's" a Special Trout Management Area.

You might want to try the Shubie or even Grand Lake. Again, the Striped Bass is one of the more heavily regulated fish species. Make sure you check the Handbook thoroughly before heading out. That being said - they are great fun. I fly fish them most times, but try a jig with a twister tail.

Good Luck,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#3 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

Krista,

Forgot to mention - check out the Forum on Striped Bass Fishing. Great place to find a lot of good info on the topic.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#4 Barnacle

Barnacle

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hi Krista,

There are some decent Stripers in the Stewiacke River. However, there are pretty tight regulations regarding what you can use (Check Handbook pg. 45). The "Stewie's" a Special Trout Management Area.

You might want to try the Shubie or even Grand Lake. Again, the Striped Bass is one of the more heavily regulated fish species. Make sure you check the Handbook thoroughly before heading out. That being said - they are great fun. I fly fish them most times, but try a jig with a twister tail.

Good Luck,

Terran

Hi Terran;

What flies would you recommend for stripers?

cheers,

chuck

#5 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hi Terran;

What flies would you recommend for stripers?

cheers,

chuck

Hi Chuck,

The flies I'd try for Striped Bass in fresh water would include: Muddler Minnow, Thunder Creek Minnow, Epoxy Minnow, some of the Shad Flies sometimes work, and the Clouser minnow to name a few. If they're hitting on the surface, I love the Gurgler in yellow or orange.

I came up with a fly about six years ago that I use exclusively. I called it the Terrorizer. It works for Shad, Striped Bass, Trout, Gaspereaux (in a smaller size), White Perch, Pickerel, Smallmouth Bass, etc. This thing was a total shocker as it's original incarnation didn't look like much. Have refined it over the years and it's usually the fly I start most trips with.

I find Striped Bass really like the orange/white colour combination. Also I find a very short, sharp strip to be useful.

Hope this helps, Chuck.

Terran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users