#1 Mark Weare

Mark Weare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

Please take a moment and read this story then fill out the accompanying survey. The Municipal Government is seeking opinions on building open access to Sherbrooke Lake in Lunenburg Co, NS. It is crucial that you express your opinion on opening this great lake up to all users, be it swimming, hiking, fishing or boating, we all deserve a free and open access to this lake.

You can fill this out no matter where you live.

http://www.modl.ca/r...sherbrooke-lake

Thanks.
Mark Weare

#2 VanW27

VanW27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:25 PM

I filled out the survey, but can someone give me the lowdown on this lake?

I've seen lots of people complain about lack of fishing access to it but is it a lack of access in general or a lack of access for boating? Looking at it on Google maps, I know that doesn't tell the whole story so feel free to correct me, it looks like there should be pretty easy access to the shore on foot. Is that the case or not?

Thanks

#3 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

From what I know their is currently public access for boats. No idea if the boat launch has a dock, but there is access. As for shore fishing, like any Lake we can walk it and fish because of the Angling Act, however this lake's shoreline is nearly covered in homes and cottages, so without permission it may end up with you having to explain said act to some not so pleased cottage owners

#4 darren

darren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSeabright NS

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hey 902,

You may want to contact the Sherbrooke Lake commitee and let them know about the boat access. I spoke to the lady in charge this past season and she was quite confident there wasn't. If you consider a kayak or canoe a "boat" then perhaps she was wrong, but I was told there was no access for larger vessels on trailers.

#5 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Ah you're right, the place I'm thinking of apparently is private after all.

#6 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, NS

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

There is no public access for boats of any type, no public beach, nothing for the public whatsoever. 

All inland waters below the high water mark are considered public domain in NS, but there is currently a considerable push-back by cottage owners on the lake to make this large body of water effectively private. Please fill out the survey.

#7 op-dog

op-dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Locationwhere i'm too

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

Interesting to note, the survey does not ask whether there should or should not be public access, rather, it asks for input as to what  level of access would be preferred.  According to their website, there should be more info forthcoming shortly to discuss/inform as to the results/findings of the recent public consults. Did anyone have the opportunity to attend any of the meetings?

#8 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

The question regarding whether or not there should be public access is not asked, simply because lakes in NS are not restricted to lakeside landowners only. The question is moot.

The municipality has access to the lake, so their question is what sort of access/services would be used by the general public.  If they built a beach or a boat ramp and no one used it, it would be wasted money.

#9 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

The question regarding whether or not there should be public access is not asked, simply because lakes in NS are not restricted to lakeside landowners only. The question is moot.
The municipality has access to the lake, so their question is what sort of access/services would be used by the general public.  If they built a beach or a boat ramp and no one used it, it would be wasted money.

Well when the gov't dropped the ball and sold all the land around the lake , it belongs to the residents. You can still access it , but by foot ....get out of your boat and go fish it from shore if you want . Theres nothing can be done till someone sells a piece of land back to the gov't ...think about it

#10 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

Well when the gov't dropped the ball and sold all the land around the lake , it belongs to the residents. You can still access it , but by foot ....get out of your boat and go fish it from shore if you want . Theres nothing can be done till someone sells a piece of land back to the gov't ...think about it

Re-read what I posted.

#11 darren

darren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSeabright NS

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

Well Stripperguide, that's the kind of thinking that get's us nowhere. We should be entitled to the same access to a lake as the residents.I will  not sit idly by while fishing from shore watching cottage owners troll around in their power boats. That smacks of elitism, and it cannot stand in this present age. If we are forced to fish a lake on foot, then so must the residents. 

Boats for all or boats for none !!!

D

#12 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:44 PM

Well Stripperguide, that's the kind of thinking that get's us nowhere. We should be entitled to the same access to a lake as the residents.I will  not sit idly by while fishing from shore watching cottage owners troll around in their power boats. That smacks of elitism, and it cannot stand in this present age. If we are forced to fish a lake on foot, then so must the residents. 

Boats for all or boats for none !!!

D

You are allowed to carry a boat ,or a canoe in . Why should a land owner give up his land to let you in with a bigger boat , why should a land owner have his land devalued, cause you don't want to fish from a smaller vessel . You are legually allowed to fish the lake,it just so happens you want cant fish it from your vessel . You guys can not win this , the land is what is owned ,not the water ....rules are rules ....follow them

#13 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

Re-read what I posted.

Re-read what I posted.

Miss read it ,sorry , if the have access ,why don't people launch there ?

#14 darren

darren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSeabright NS

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:40 PM

OK, stripperguide. Have you been to Sherbrooke?? Have you seen the size of boats on the lake??Did you speak with the organizers that are trying to gain public access?? I know for a fact that there's no easy access to the shore for launching canoes or kayaks, just about every inch of shoreline is owned by someone. There are ski boats on that lake far bigger than most bass boats I have seen, much bigger than mine. As Scott has already stated, we have the right to access that lake, and landowners should not be allowed to create a private body of water in this province. And I'm not totally clear on the land devaluation due to public access, that almost sounds like profiling.We, as a group, are fishermen and outdoorsmen, not hooligans. We are, and should always be, ambassadors for the sport we love. Any lake we have access to should be well taken care of. I cannot say that for some of the less than considerate landowners that allow septic and phosphate run-off into the lakes they are on, causing untold environmental damage. Most of it unreported, until a fishermen finds a massive fish kill. Sorry, I felt the need to vent on this issue because it shouldn't be an issue. I do agree that our so called government has really hooped the pooch on this one.

#15 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

Miss read it ,sorry , if the have access ,why don't people launch there ?

The access is there; it's up to the municipality to decide how they want to develop the land.

As posted above, the lake is already has plenty of boat traffic from the landowners; it's not the untouched, pristine wilderness that a few cottage owners claim.  They also like to say that a beach area and public boat launch will reduce they're property values, lol. Try buying a cottage or cottage lot on Mush-a-Mush, Molega, and Ponhook Lakes.  All lakes that have a public launch, and property values are (much) higher now than before.

#16 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:49 PM

If there is access there , then go after it , and the land owners beside it have a fraction of the say , as his land will always be cheaper for just this reason . Sorry for the confusion .

#17 darren

darren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSeabright NS

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

That's right Scott. Not all cottage owners want to build their own launch. Sometimes the property doesn't allow for easy access, steep shoreline, soft bottom, or old growth trees needing to be cleared away. So a local shared ramp is ideal. I can't see how this wouldn't increase property values, just like Mush-mush and the other lakes you mentioned.

#18 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:04 AM

That's right Scott. Not all cottage owners want to build their own launch. Sometimes the property doesn't allow for easy access, steep shoreline, soft bottom, or old growth trees needing to be cleared away. So a local shared ramp is ideal. I can't see how this wouldn't increase property values, just like Mush-mush and the other lakes you mentioned.

They are not allowed to build a boat launch....they are not allowed to build a floating dock either ...FYI

#19 darren

darren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSeabright NS

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:37 AM

Yes Stripper, I'm painfully aware of the rules regarding shoreline impact and watercourse issues. However, a trip on many of the lakes in this province will reveal that many landowners are not. Perhaps that is another reason why some folks don't want "the public" seeing their cottages. My previous post was only intended to describe certain shoreline areas that are natural, and could allow for a trailer to be backed in, without having to modify or install a ramp/beach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users