Better Buy Sports Closing Dartmouth Location - Fishing in the News - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Better Buy Sports Closing Dartmouth Location

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tundrawalker1

tundrawalker1

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 527 posts
  • LocationMount Uniacke

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:24 PM

I drove by there yesterday and noticed they have a message on their sign out by Windmill Rd saying they were closing.  Guess the big box stores got to them already.

#2 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 905 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:00 AM

Wow! Can't say I am totally surprised though.

#3 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

I don't think the big box stores had a lot to do with that. I went in there once, you can't run a successful business charging 30 to 40% more for stuff that you can get locally without having something more to offer customers. And they didn't have the knowledge, selection, or any other thing you couldn't get at Canadian Tire or Walmart. 

#4 Blandingo

Blandingo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

I was in and talking to the only remaining employee. It's been sold to a new owner and will be reopening sometime early March. The Moncton store and contents were sold as a package to the new owner as well. Some pretty decent deals on in there now, EVERYTHING not marked is 20% off, with lots of other items up to 50% (I.e. Fireworks bundles, giftware, etc.). No tax on firearms as well. One of the big problems was that the former owner was a manufacturers rep and wouldn't bring in competing lines when his inventory ran out. I got a great deal on some nice wading boots. If you have size 13 feet or need 2XL/Small waders/boots there are some decent deals but for the most part it's been pretty picked over. Two weeks before it closes for good as Better Buy FYI in case anyone wants to go and check it out and grab some gear at 20% off. Cheers

#5 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Poor customer service, crap stock, high prices...Closing?...Go figure.

Perhaps if the new owners listen to their customers, some of the "issues" surrounding the poor performance of the previous sight may me solved and the business become more successful.

Remains to be seen, but I for one won't miss this location.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#6 kingfisher

kingfisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe Dirty City

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

Drove by a couple weeks ago and noticed it was open. I went in thinking it was a new store and same old junk. I asked buddy working if this was still better buy and he said yes. I said I heard you guys were closing. He abruptly replied NO with a puzzled look on his face. He asked me where I heard this and I told him I was in for the closing sale. Probably just a ploy to get people in the doors. I will never set foot in there again. BETTER BUY ELSEWHERE!

#7 tundrawalker1

tundrawalker1

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 527 posts
  • LocationMount Uniacke

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:56 PM

hahaha, they had a going out of business post on their sign!

#8 John Fishes

John Fishes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

Apparently they are no longer going to be a Better Buy

#9 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

With poor quality, crappy customer service and prices; they never were a "Better Buy".  :rolleyes:

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#10 JDLanger

JDLanger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDartmouth, Nova Scotia

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:45 AM

Only thing I ever bought from them was Nylon 15lb 300m line for $5.99.

#11 John Fishes

John Fishes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

All true but only place on the Dartmouth side that sells (some of) what I need

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users