#1 PWP

PWP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAyrshire Scotland

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:16 PM

Hi,

I'm a new member, presently living in Scotland, but have just bought a house near Lunenburg NS. I hope to move to Canada (if you guys will let me in!), but meantime I will be visiting as a tourist several times each year. I'm keen to get fly fishing in NS, but really need some help to get started (also if I don't get fly fishing I'm gonna be forced to spend too much time painting things and building furniture in the new house).

Over here, I fly fish in fresh water for trout mostly and occasionally for salmon and occasionally fly fish in the sea for sea trout.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer about;

a) Where I can fly fish within easy striking distance of the Lunenburg area.

B) Where else I can go where the fishing is good but will entail a journey.

c) What species I can fly fish for in NS (I hear about bass, but know nothing about this fish, where or how to fish for it)

d) Where I can go fly fishing for salmon in NS (even though it may entail a journey)

I know it's the wrong time of year to be asking this, but I'll need some time to start finding the right fishing gear for NS and maybe starting to tie some flies that work over there! Are there any clubs I can join? - it's always great for a first time visit to a water to go with a local who knows what what and where and how to fish!

Any help or advice will be grateful received!

Regards

Peter

#2 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

To bad you had to buy a house down there , the trout fishing is all but lost down there as well as salmon . Invasive species slattered the trout , and fish farms the salmon . Cape Breton is the place to go , and go there between April 15th - Till July for trout......or salmon . Anywheres North of Truro has decent trout fishing . Feel free to contact me when your up and I can help you out .... w w w .nsfly gu y. ca has the best info.

#3 Reardon

Reardon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

Not too far of a drive  http://users.eastlin...fly/woodens.htm this place is fly fishing only with 0 retention , he explains the whole area well, the road is fine long as you have a truck or SUV, else its walking :)

#4 PWP

PWP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the reply Stripper Guide, I hope to be able to take you up on that kind offer!

Regards

Peter

#5 PWP

PWP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Reardon, will try and check it out!

Regards

Peter

#6 ruesday45

ruesday45

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

The LaHave river system is great place to fish, and has lots of access from New Germany to Bridgewater. You can catch trout, bass and pickerel. Bass on the fly, awesome!!!!  It's a scheduled river meaning from April 1 to May 26 you can fish lures,etc, and after May 26 you have to fly fish (except in the lakes). There are also some pool closures, you'll have to check the hand book. 

#7 caff3in3

caff3in3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

Don't listen to that Reardon guy......all of his "fish pictures" are photoshopped :)

#8 caff3in3

caff3in3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:39 AM

It is a bit of a drive but the Cornwallis river holds some big brown trout, some brook trout and we have even caught a tiger trout there. Check the guide as some areas are fly fishing only

#9 PWP

PWP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

Thanks Guys,

Firstly Happy New Year!

Secondly, you mention a 'guide' and 'handbook' can you tell me what they are exactly and where to get them please? La Have is nice and handy, I'll need to check that out. I'm only into fly fishing so that helps! I may come back to you later Caff for more info on Cornwallis.

#10 VanW27

VanW27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

Hi Peter,

the "Guide" refers to the Nova Scotia Anglers Handbook, here's a link to the 2015 handbook:

http://novascotia.ca...nglingguide.pdf

The 2015 handbook regulations are in effect until April 1st, 2016. At which point a new handbook will be released.

Its basically a summary of the rules and regulations of recreational fishing in Nova Scotia.

They give you one when you purchase a fishing license, but if you went somewhere that sells licenses and asked for a handbook I'm sure they would give you one, plus the online version is exactly the same.

#11 PWP

PWP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:14 AM

Thank you Van, just had a look at it and my head is spinning! I'm gonna need to have a Philadelphia lawyer with me first couple of times fishing until I get the hang of it!

#12 VanW27

VanW27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

Thank you Van, just had a look at it and my head is spinning! I'm gonna need to have a Philadelphia lawyer with me first couple of times fishing until I get the hang of it!

It certainly can be confusing, but really its only pages 6-10 that you need to worry about. Than if your headed out fishing check to see if they're are special regulations for the water body you plan on hitting, if they're isn't your good to go, if there is your gonna need to do some studying.

And if anything is tripping you up feel free to post it on here on we will do our best to help you out.

#13 JSG949

JSG949

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

Firstly, I wouldn't say all the rivers are invaded. Yes some of them are but many still hold native brook trout(also called speckled trout) Spring and early summer are good times for these fish. Any river that runs into the ocean will usually have runs of sea-run trout also which will be bigger and more silvery. They typically have they're first big run up the rivers between mid-May until late June depending on temperatures. Some rivers that feed into the ocean have special regulations to protect the wild atlantic salmon population that still exists so, when you buy your fishing licence be sure to read the regulations for the spot you decide to fish. If you want to get into salmon fishing you need a seperate licence and they only allow it along the Northumberland Strait coast and in Cape Breton right now as the salmon populations are healthier there. This year was catch-and-live release only due to poor runs the past few years. This year did very well and there is debate about handing out salmon tags again this year. As for bass, there are two species. Smallmouth bass and it's much larger cousin, striped bass. I'm sure you can find spots that suit what you are looking for if you ask around on here for what you want. Also a little research never hurts and they best way to learn what's out there is to test it out! Good luck with your fishing and welcome! There's endless amounts of fishing as I'm still figuring that out myself!

#14 PWP

PWP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for the help. I'll be back 7th April to 27th April so am hopeful of getting out with a rod. Here I mostly fish with a 10ft / 7 weight rod, but use a 10 ft  / 6 weight for wild brown trout in lochs. I don't have much experience river fishing for trout but on the odd occasion I have done so, I've taken a 9ft / 4 weight.

Any suggestions as to what is a good compromise rod for different types of fishing would be good to know until I find what I want to focus on more.

#15 JSG949

JSG949

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

Well the rod you use I would leave that up to you. Really depends how big the river and/or lake you chose to fish and what species you're after. Also April can sometimes be a tricky time to find really active fish because the water is still fairly cold then. I'm not saying you can't catch fish but I would say you will find more and more active fish later in the month.

#16 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1062 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Try shad on the fly in Middleton a blast!!!! 1hr away In the month of May

#17 PWP

PWP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:37 PM

Thanks. Can't find Middleton on the map - can you pinpoint it for me please?

#18 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1062 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:28 PM

Look for the Greenwood Air force Base, Middleton is the next exit on the101 highway {south} that goes down the Annapolis Valley to Yarmouth. You cut cross across country{NS} from Bridgewater East to West. Google map it. Hope this helps. 5 weeks till the Shad start :D :D :D :D :D

#19 Fred

Fred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

Good day, PWP if you would like to get around to some areas relatively close I would be happy to meet you in a place called New Ross which is roughly 30 minutes from lunenburg. I live in Kentville which is roughly an hour from you so New Ross would be half way. I would gladly showing some great trouting spots as well as bass and chain pickerel, they are a lot of fun to fish. As for salmon fishing, the consensus is that it will be catch and release only but it's best to wait until June for salmon in my opinion. If you are interested in taking a trip for a day just message me back here or feel free to call or text me at 19026929181. I'm a fly fisherman as well and can help you with the hatches and patterns that seem to work well here in the valley. Hope to here from you soon! Welcome to Nova Scotia

#20 Fred

Fred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

Also there is some great brown trout fishing here in the Kentville area and the sea runs will be starting soon in certain areas so just follow some of the topics here to find out when and where. Steelheads are a popular sea run trout here and can get quite large

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users