#1 Marc

Marc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

Hello.  I have never been fishing for Striped Bass.  A few questions:

1.  I heard that you can go near Shubenacadie.  Does anyone know where?

2.  Do I need a license to fish stripers?

3.  What pound test should I use?

4.  What should I tie at the end of my line IE. Spoon - mackerel rig - bait - etc. ?

Please forgive my perhaps ignorant questions, the area of Quebec I grew up in didn't afford me the opportunity to fish for stripers.  Please feel free to reply at [email protected] if you wish.  Thank you in advance for your time!   :)

Marc

#2 Al_ G _62

Al_ G _62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationbeaverbank

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:29 AM

hI Marc,

You can fish striper in the Shubie/Stewiacke rivers, but usually June is the best river fishing, try near wildlife park or near highway 102.

Most people are fishing from the beach on the bay of fundy at this time of year,  two hours before high tide and two hours after, anywhere you can find a place to stand. September/October are good striper times in the bay.

no license needed in tidal water, they can be caught on spoons, top water etc or chunks of bait on the bottom, generally most use chunks of bait on big hooks, mackeral, squid, gaspereau, etc, they will eat anything.

Line is your choice, but if you are fishing the bay, the stronger the better, you don't know what will grab your bait, shark, sturgeon, skate, striper, etc.  We fish 80-100 lb braid with a three #10/0 hook configuration, I have seen a lot of gear lost to inadequate line and setup.

A heavy rod is also an asset, I have seen a 16lb striper landed on a light ugly stick, but why take the chance 

Good fishing

#3 keldycandy

keldycandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:47 PM

rod 8ft+ heavy action, line 65lb+braid for thinner line

#4 ppaauull0

ppaauull0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:13 AM

I use a 10ft salmon spinning rod with a 3lb test curve and 25lb mono line straight thru. The business end is always a single hook (9/0 circle ) running ledger set up with whole calamari squid as bait. I prefer mono to braids Because it is a lot more abrasive resistant and were I fish can be a bit snaggy.

#5 keldycandy

keldycandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

my set up is this

10ft eagle claw water eagle spinning rod heavy action with okuma abf 65 with 30lb braid, used to have 65lb braid

13ft eagle claw water eagle spinning rod heavy action with penn pursuit 2 8000 with 80lb braid

for both set up's I run 60-80lb rigs with two hooks I use j-hooks size 4/0 and 3/0 from eagle claw, and some  medium sized j-hooks from Canadian tire

#6 kenman35

kenman35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:28 AM

We use 12 and 13 foot beachcasters along cape breton and have been pulling in some hige stripers on our beaches...i use a 13 foot diawa theory with a penn surfblaster 8000...casts 350 to 400 feet with a 6oz grip weight and whole mackeral.
I also sell surf rods reels if anyone needs any

#7 cperry

cperry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

where do you buy the surf casting rods?

#8 kenman35

kenman35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

I get them from the U.K.
I have 3 diferent penn reels ..mitchel surf reels lots of rods too and
Much more message me if you need anything

#9 Flippert

Flippert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:20 PM

I just use a slightly stiffer "pike" 7 foot rod with 20 lb test line, caught plenty of keepers with not a single line breakage and always a great fight

#10 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:14 AM

I bought a penn rod and reel at fishing fever.  20lbs line on it, no problems.  I've seen plenty of people with 80lbs braid on just horse in fish.  Just got to fight them a little longer with 20lbs.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#11 kenman35

kenman35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:10 AM

You need long casts with at least 40lb braid with a 60lb 30 foot shock leader to prevent snapping off on the cast....beach fishing needs long casts.

#12 Al_ G _62

Al_ G _62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationbeaverbank

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

long casts, not always, wife landed a 42.5...30lb last night on a 50 foot cast ( tight stream entrance in BOF )

#13 UKSteve

UKSteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hi all..Nice to see good information passed on, never fished stripers, Uk fisher dusted off he's beachcasters and ready for some action, can you also catch Skate at the Bay? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stripers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users