#21 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Might see ya there, bright and early one day this week, might have to shovel the snow away however.
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#22 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

yeah, aint that a bi&*h ? won't last tho AND the brooks and streams can use the water right now. probably be later in the week when I can really sneek away for an hour or so.

#23 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hard to believe i was walking the Branch Troutin yesterday. Now when i look out, January all over again.
The water was so low there also, we can use the snow/rain.
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#24 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

So how did the Brach fishin go ? I'd really like to get back to Cherrytree and Halfmoon, but the all the roads in there soured me.

#25 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Nothing from me. I did not go up that far,I was just looking around more then anything I have been fishin the way back spotsin another area, done exceptionally well.. My bud has been fishin the other branch this past week. He has done really well. When I go into those two spots I go in from Mantletree, at the bridge and walk up. Still good in there, but yes you are correct, lots of roads through there and more to come as I understand it.

#26 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Nothing from me. I did not go up that far. My bud has been fishin the other branch this past week. He has done really well. When I go into those two spots I go in from Mantletree, at the bridge and walk up. Still good in there, but yes you are correct, lots of roads through there and more to come as I understand it.

i think i just hijacked OP thread, sorry. Yeah, I used to go in on the Mantletree as well, go up to Baker Dam. Haven't been back since the road was put in to Halfmoon.

#27 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

I think we kijacked this together. Sorry, it is so easy to do.

#28 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I think we kijacked this together. Sorry, it is so easy to do.

yeah, you're right, it was you ! whooo feel better now!

#29 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

Excellant I got big shoulders, although they are sore today. LOL

#30 striper slayer

striper slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTruro,ns

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

Are they running in Truro ,bass river ,stewiack area.What is the right answer! :)
its not how much you fish its that you fish!

#31 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Update on the Smelts at the Gaspereau. Was there this morning. The run has certainly declined from last week. Had to work to get a feed. There was no action at all until the tide became rather low, then the smelts accumulated in the pool below the bridge. There are very high running tides this week, If you go there anywhere near high tide, you will not be able to get near the river to fish. The debris up over the banks from the last couple days was evident of the high tides.

It was very cold there, but best of, I was the only one there. No tangled lines to deal with.

Good Luck

#32 shoreman

shoreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Cool, just got back from seeing me new Grandaughter in Ontario. My wife told me the smelts are up as far as Rieds meats and according to the Brother-in-law the run should soon thicken and come up river further. I have pictures of the kids netting smelts at the Gaspereau bridge last year through the day and filling up 5 gallon buckets with 2 scoops of the net.
SHOREMAN

#33 girlfisher

girlfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1687 posts
  • LocationSand Beach

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

a friendly reminder, a 5 gallon bucket is big and the limit is 60.
Was talking to a guy in the fishing aile at CT last yr from down this way , last yr hedrove to annapolis to get some smelts and" kept over his limit and got a fine of a few 100 $ "he said "they would have been tastey fish but were awfully expensive" :lol: Said he" had't read the book clearly and didn't realise the limit was so small" :wacko:

good luck
please practice a sustainable harvest

#34 striperqueen

striperqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationgod's country

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

smelts are running up river philip, friends of mine in Oxford got some tonight.

#35 striper slayer

striper slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTruro,ns

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

i just caught 60 smelts on portapique river lots of them around also try right now for gaspereau on the brook running of of mcelmons pond its insane how many are their right now got lots the other day!
its not how much you fish its that you fish!

#36 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

Smelt are thick in the Gaspereau River right now for those that might be interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users