• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 charlie

charlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:53 AM

When do they usually start here . Seems like soon??
c

#2 shoreman

shoreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

My Brother-in-law dip nets Gaspereaux early May, they have a farm on the river and I know the smelts are approx 3 weeks ahead of the Gaspereaux. The weather is going to be warm for the next 8 to 10 days, could bring the smelt in within the next week or two.
SHOREMAN

#3 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hey Shoreman, who's your bro in law ? PM met if you'd rather. Thanks!

#4 shoreman

shoreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

B-in-Law is the Coldwell family, they've had the Farm handed down through the Family for a couple Centuries. They live in the little community of Gaspereaux itself. The kids net Smelts by the bucket full beside the bridge, across the road from the Gas Station, the young fellow caught a nice 12 inch Trout there while being a kid and just fishing, first cast!

Looking forward to another fishing season, definatly be talking to you, first day of Spring tomorrow.
SHOREMAN

#5 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

Been fishing there for years. The smelts are usually up somewhere around the third week of April, give or take, the Gaspereau follow up a week ot two after. I would guess that the run will be early this year, given our weather. The Bridge that most fish at is the one right by Reids Meats. Great place to go , have a bit of fun and get a feed at the same time.
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#6 shoreman

shoreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the info Guest. I used to net them when I was a kid growing up in Ontario. All this talk of a feed of smelts has me watching the rivers already, I walked the Railyway trail in Kentville yesterday, never seen any big black shadows swimming up river yet but did see a few Trout break water which also got the stomach growling.

Walking the trail yesterday had me planning an outdoors meal, so far I'm thinking for Greens I'll pick some spring fiddleheads, meat I'll go with a feed of fresh smelts or trout and for the third item on the plate straight from the land.... not sure yet.
SHOREMAN

#7 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

For those that might be intertested, the Smelts are up the Gaspereau River, they are thick. Just returned from getting a feed. Never remember them being so early. Mother Nature at her best.
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#8 Luciano

Luciano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

Woohoo

#9 Troutflyfisher

Troutflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Any advice when the best time of day to go net / angle for a feed of Smelts is? Any areas accessible / good to go?

Thanks!

#10 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hi FC

The place that most fish there is the Bridge right beside Reid's Meats in Melanson. Below the bridge is angling (Jigging) above is dipping. Best time to go, IMO, is at low water or when the river is just coming in. There is more room on the bank to jig, or if above to dip.

I always, I emphasize always, stay clear of it after schools is out or in the afternoons, on weekends, in the afternoons, when everyone is there. It becomes a tangled mess of lines. The area that most jig at is rather small, particularly when lots are there.

I was there this morning at 7ish, tide on the rise but still not to high there, I came and left with no one else there. Got a feed in 15 minutes.

The run has just started, so I was told, it is early, the fish were plentiful.

If you jig use a treble hook with a bit of weight, bring a few extras, lots of snags. DFO signage is on the telephone pole regarding limits for both smelt and Bass, although the signage appeared very aged?

#11 Troutflyfisher

Troutflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the info!! The bank must be muddy eh? Can you fish Smelt with little hooks & bait as well?

FC

#12 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Not near as muddy this year as in past. Was actually pleasant there this AM, not sinking up to the tops of my boots, the river changed with teh tides I guess. Can you fish with bait you ask , not sure, at least there? Never seen anyone do that there, the smelt are so plentifull that folks just jig them. However having said that, bait just might work, but there is lots of snags there.
Regardless, give it a shot, fun, a few fish and an event, entertaining if you watch some of the folks there, particularly if you have never been there.

#13 Robbie Hiltz

Robbie Hiltz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationThe Valley

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thats early! Thanks for the info Guest
The best things in life aren't things

#14 t&h

t&h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

caught enough for a feed last night ... quite early this year

#15 JHG

JHG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ontario

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Are they still running? I'll be in NS next week and was hoping to meet them... in my pan. :)

Recently returned from living and fishing in West Africa... Adventures in Ghana

#16 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

They will run at least another week, maybe two. The storm tonight, will not effect the run. Round here snow is referred to as Smelt snow, or poor mans fertilizer, in April.

#17 JHG

JHG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ontario

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Good to hear. I land on the 12th so hopefully I'll bump into a few.

Recently returned from living and fishing in West Africa... Adventures in Ghana

#18 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

wife and I were over to Reids bridge sat around noon, probably dozen peole "fishing" but not one single smelt. Had a chuckle at some of the casting but damn near froze to death so we left after half hour.

#19 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

No Smelts? Must have been an off day thee, they have only been up for 6 or 7 days.
Yes it is a funny place to watch, particulay when lots of folks there.

#20 basindawg

basindawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • LocationCanning NS

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

oops, that was Friday we were over. not used to taking a day off work! might have to sneek another day off during the week, haven't had fresh smelts for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users