9 replies to this topic

#1 fisherdan1

fisherdan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

I'm surprised that no on here has posted about the oil disaster. (Actually I think Dave mentioned something in another forum) I hope they soon figure something out because this is getting ridiculous. I just hope it doesn't make it's way here as it would have such a huge impact. You would think with the billions of dollars they make in profits every year they would have better plans and equipment in place not to mention it's going to be day 50 tomorrow and they're still slow to react. Not sure what some of these fisherman are going to do that have lost their jobs...likely for a long time.

#2 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

I agree Fisherdan. It just sickens me as the oil comes into the Bayous on the Mississippi Delta. I saw a report on the news from Cypress Cove Marina Louisina where I fish Redfish and you have to experiance the wildlife and fishing to understand the loss. That said what can you say other than the greed for oil is so insatible that safty took a backseat. Lets hope it isn't as bad as I suspect it is and regulations get in place to prevent future enviromental disasters. I have no idea what my guide friend there is going to do, he just rebuilt after the hurricane and now this. To know people in the middle of this brings it close and personal.

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#3 Upstream Nymphing

Upstream Nymphing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationPictou county

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

this oil spill is more then a disaster, its the start of a chain of unfortunate events yet to happen. Since day one, and every day after that it makes me so mad to watch it on tv. "They" say it will not effect us, but I dont believe them. They also say even if it does make our shores it will be broken up and diluted. Its oil, it doesnt dissolve into the water like that,even if it does break up, it's still there. This proves on how stupid "man" really is and is anouther classic Titanic, It wont happen, but it did happen. If it ever does reach our shores ill be finding out some way to help.

#4 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationWaverley, Nova Scotia

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

The oil in the Gulf is a really good reason to have stringent safety measures in place BEFORE permits are granted. This would be even more important in arctic waters as the eco systems are, we are told, even more fragile. Regards....
Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

#5 J. B.

J. B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

The oil in the Gulf is a really good reason to have stringent safety measures in place BEFORE permits are granted. This would be even more important in arctic waters as the eco systems are, we are told, even more fragile. Regards....

Yes, there is a lesson here for us. We must be more proactive about the way oil-fields are developed in our own waters. Do the rigs in our waters have sufficient equipment and safeguards to prevent a similar disaster if there was an accident?
Truth is the first casualty of a good story

#6 Billy_The_Squid

Billy_The_Squid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

J.B., you are dead right. Everyone should be aware that the CEO of BP Canada, Anne Drinkwater, has been pushing the Canadian government to relax its rules about relief wells, because of the savings involved. This woman is a shortsighted idiot. If BP had spent the extra $100 million it would have cost them to put in a relief well, the current situation would simply not be happening. And she made this request AFTER the Gulf spill was already a couple of weeks old! Unbelievable.

Here is a link to the Reuters article about BP Canada:

http://www.reuters.c...ype=marketsNews

And I strongly encourage everyone to write to their MP, let them know you are aware of the situation, and urge them to continue to refuse BP's requests!!! I have written to mine, and I got a standard, scripted response, but if more and more people do it, it will have an effect.

#7 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

Fot those who think this will not affect us dont hold your breath. Migratory birds and fish use the Gulf of Mexico as well as Nova Scotia. Remember last year when the cry was out about the plight of The bluefin tuna and how Canada had to reduce its quota on big tuna so they get to spawn, guess where they spawn? Pull a string here something jerks over there!

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#8 Coachman

Coachman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:17 AM

I really don't have words to describe what I think about this. The true tragedy is that the true impact and cost will be borne by the environment and by the people who count on the environment for their lives, but had nothing to do with creating the disaster in the first place.

There are no up-sides to this. BP needs to be held to account and had best come up with the clean-up money NOW, not later!
"Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learnt". Isaak Walton
Posted Image

#9 fisherdan1

fisherdan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

It seems like they're more concerned with trying to figure out how much oil is leaking daily then trying to clean it up. It's going to take years if not decades in my opinion. The water might clear up when it's all said and done but it will be there for a long time. I couldn't imagine feeding my kids fish that come from that area...ever again.

Thatg's too bad about your friend Perry...how many people are going to be of work because of this? Just finished seeing some pretty brutal pics on CNN. It's hard to believe they can't stop it.

#10 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

Fot those who think this will not affect us dont hold your breath. Remember last year when the cry was out about the plight of The bluefin tuna and how Canada had to reduce its quota on big tuna so they get to spawn, guess where they spawn? Pull a string here something jerks over there!

BP may see claim from P.E.I. fishermen

The P.E.I. Fishermen's Association is considering filing a compensation claim with BP.

The oil company has a $20 billion fund set aside to pay fishermen, business owners and people whose livelihoods have been affected by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Ed Frenette, executive director of the fishermen's association, said the spill will have long-term effects on P.E.I.'s bluefin tuna industry. The question is how severe those effects will be.

"The spawn this year in the Gulf of Mexico has already been affected," Frenette said. "We'll see the results of that commercially in eight to 10 years."

Frenette said it's less certain what will happen to adult fish now in the waters off P.E.I. and working their way back to the Gulf of Mexico.

"If they have to swim through all that oil and guck, and whatever else is there, will it have an effect on them and our ability to continue with the commercial fishery?"

There are 350 licensed tuna fishermen on P.E.I.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/ca...l#ixzz0t5fk9PH8
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users