• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cormier13

Cormier13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

Hello, this will be my first post to this website, I am also fairly new to fishing with little knowledge, I am a big hunter who's only fishing experience has been going out a few times a year with a basic bait-caster rod and worm and hoping for the best, I do not know many tricks nor much about fish populations. I am from Pictou County area and do some fishing on middle river, and lakes by my house, but my main concern is about a pond in my woods that is about 400-500 feet long, 80-100 feet wide, and fairly shallow, with lots of trees and branches to get hooked up on. I am likely not the only one fishing it as it is along a four wheeler trail but I am sure it is not used by many as my road is not very populated and I have never run into another person while there. So finally on to my question. Since I was about 10 (I am now 20) I have kept about 2-5 brook trout each summer. The fish are about 8-14 inches. I don't get a lot of bites but that might just be because of my low experience level. I am worried about if I take more trout than that through the summer I could risk killing off the population. I am curious of how many trout would likely actually be there and how many I could keep without causing damage. I am not interested in keeping a lot of fish as I have many spots to fish and I prefer to keep a trout or two instead of the bag limit so that they are fresh when eaten anyway, I would however like to know if I should worry about the populations with the numbers I take or not. Thank you , I look forward to continue using this great website.

#2 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

Ever try running a good fish finder through it?

#3 Cormier13

Cormier13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

I never have since I dont own one. I am open to trying it though since I am looking to possibly getting one this summer and have a canoe already. I am not sure if I would be able to use one though because I am pretty sure the pond is pretty shallow in a lot of spots, likely over my head in the middle but there is so much trees and branches and grass ive gotten snagged on that I think there are a lot of shallow spots. I have got my line caught there twice as much as any other lake or pond I fish at. If it is still possible though to get in with a fish finder and get a clear reading off a messy pond like that I would love to try it.

#4 dreamwaters

dreamwaters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:39 PM

5 trout a year sounds unlikely to cause a problem in itself - a very conservative harvest. Are you also catching and releasing a lot of trout other than the ones you kill? If so, consider that some proportion of those are likely dying too, especially with worms. I doubt that the fishfinder is going to tell you much, for the reasons that you outlined in your reply. If you can get in there when the mayfly hatch is in full swing and sit and watch, you might get some kind of idea just from seeing how many clearly independent trout rise throughout the pond. Have fun and keep it secret, is my advice (14" is a nice trout for a small pond!).
Cheers,
Dave

#5 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:58 AM

The new 360 degree finders are good for 2 1/2 feet to 100 and they can see in a huge radius around you, and see baitfish so trout would be no problem, you could find the exact amount of fish in this pond....or you could try counting them when the mayflies hatch lol. Switch to circle hooks with your worms, and your mortality rate will be lower then any fly fishermen can claim there's is ;) Keep your head up, the backwoods ponds are the least of our worries these days :)

#6 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

Pffff don't listen to that guy I hear he slays bass hahha : D jokes aside some good advice if you're worried about deep hooking circle hooks are the way to go. That 360 fish finder looks awesome been looking at it lately always up for new toys bass_slayer do you have one and if so is it as good as they say? Commercials have me pretty sold

#7 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:23 PM

Not yet, but im sold as well. Had a chance to go out bass fishin with a guy a few times last summer. It was picking fish up right on the bank. Technology sure has took alot of skill out of fishing lol

#8 Cormier13

Cormier13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

The 5 fish I keep through the summer are pretty much all I catch, I let the small ones go but don't get many of the small ones. I typically will fish there until I get 2 fish and then will only go back in a couple times a year and have never kept more than 5 a summer. I will try getting some of those circle hooks though and do some more catch and release in order to get a good idea of the numbers in the pond. Thanks for the advice!there is also another pond extremely close by that I have only started to check out last year, only caught a small 4 inch, but its a bit bigger in size of a pond. I don't think the two ponds are connected but they could be at certain times of the year.

#9 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:12 AM

Hello, this will be my first post to this website, I am also fairly new to fishing with little knowledge, I am a big hunter who's only fishing experience has been going out a few times a year with a basic bait-caster rod and worm and hoping for the best, I do not know many tricks nor much about fish populations. ........Thank you , I look forward to continue using this great website.

Welcome to the website Cormier13, there are a lot of good people on here that participate.  I don't know much about trout so I'll let the other guys make suggestions. But consider this: NS is blessed with many specisis of fish, and some ponds have more than one.  With a little research, and maybe a little more gear you increase your odds of catching something, and even take it home for the frying pan.

I used to snag on sunk wood a fair bit before so here is one tip: try using jig hooks. Baited withe appropriatly sized offering, your hook will sit horizontal in the water. As you retrive, you line and the head of the hook acts as a weed guard. I can now deliberatly cast my hook into water where there is sunk wood and I hardly get snagged now.

Also consider bass and chain pickerel. Their invasive specisis, and they are good fighting fish.  And, if cleaned properly (de-skined), they are both good eating. Chain pickerel you gotta figure out the bones though. I don't even bother trying to find trout anymore. For my dollars spent, I get way more bang for the buck, fun included, catching these two.

But, on the plate, nothing (except perhaps salmon, which you can't keep anymore) beats trout for freshwater fish.

Personal hook & line records:
Chain Pickerel - 24" 4lbs
Small Mouth Bass - 19.25" and 2lbs 1oz
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Brown Bullhead - 10"
Shark - 120" Blue (dad's line actually :P )
Atlantic Cod - 36" (25 to 30 lbs approx)
Mackerel - tinkers
Scoulpin - who cares :angry:

#10 xeroxus

xeroxus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

I keep every chain pike I catch...then feed the seagulls.They have ruined my group of friends childhood brook and lakes...Hebb Lake,Milipsigate...wildcat brook......ruined. Sadly Hebb is also part of Atlantic Whitefish habitat..I know I can never eliminate them but the ones I catch will never kill another trout or whitefish,and I've gutted them..full of trout,frogs,yellow perch, white perch, and sadly whitefish.

#11 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:21 PM

From the NS Fishing Regulations: "No person who is fishing for personal use or fishing for recreational or sport purposes may waste any fish that is suitable for human consumption". 

Regardless of your opinion on Chain Pickerel and what you think you're doing to benefit the systems you fish, you have just admitted to illegal activity with regard to the wasting of fish. If I personally ever saw yourself or anyone else doing it I wouldn't hesitate to call DNR to deal with it. 

I keep every chain pike I catch...then feed the seagulls.They have ruined my group of friends childhood brook and lakes...Hebb Lake,Milipsigate...wildcat brook......ruined. Sadly Hebb is also part of Atlantic Whitefish habitat..I know I can never eliminate them but the ones I catch will never kill another trout or whitefish,and I've gutted them..full of trout,frogs,yellow perch, white perch, and sadly whitefish.

#12 xeroxus

xeroxus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

I can read,and I can completely disagree with said law concerning pickeral, I get caught I'm man enough to pay my dues, its comments from people like you who make me suspect your type put these destroying alien fish in our lakes to begin with.I don't retain any species other then pickerel, I'm a catch and release advocate.

Edited by xeroxus, 20 April 2015 - 03:30 PM.

#13 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:04 PM

Keep up the good work my friend , your allowed to keep your limit everyday . Nothing illegal to setting them out to dry either , but I think my wife eats them before I get a chance . They would have to charge guys killing minnows to catch a bigger fish as minnows are also considered ediable . For them calling the wardens well we know where they are ....they are gone cause there is nothing left here for them to manage . These garbage fish manage themselves .DFO will not protect a salmon or a trout so by the fungus they are not gonna protect a garbage fish . Have a ater!!!

#14 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

I can read,and I can completely disagree with said law concerning pickeral, I get caught I'm man enough to pay my dues, its comments from people like you who make me suspect your type put these destroying alien fish in our lakes to begin with.I don't retain any species other then pickerel, I'm a catch and release advocate.

His handle says it all!

#15 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

This guy isn't getting involved... should have known better right from the start. I'll stick to being helpful around here and I'll just be judged by my actions on the water as opposed to how well I play on the internet. 

#16 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

Could have sworn this thread was about TROUT in a backwoods pond... Not chain pickerel...

Just don't WASTE the fish its that simple. Eat it, feed it to the dog, the wife lol fertilizer for your lawn just don't chuck it outside on property that isnt yours especially its illegal and beyond that it's food tastes good too

#17 juniorfisher

juniorfisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hey Cormier13,. I have a fish finder that is perfect for you. There is two pieces of it, one piece attaches to the swivel on your line and acts as a bobber per-se. The other piece is a watch. So you run your line through the water while watching the watch to see what is in the body of water. 

I am in the Valley, but have family down in PC, and am heading down there May long weekend (Thursday the 14th) to our camp so if you wanted to buy it or see it just let me know. I paid good money for it, but haven't used it since the year before last so I am very open to any offer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trout, brook trout, pictou county, new glasgow, trenton, pond

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users